Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
What to do in the off-camping season?

OK, winter has officially arrived here in Michigan. Brrrr! My AS is packed with mothballs and winterized. Now how do I fill the void? I have bored my family and friends half to death with tales of my AS adventures. Can't find much of interest on the TV or on the forums. Can't get away to Florida or other warm climate. Not into snowmobiling, deer hunting, ice fishing or Polar Bear club swim meets.
Even my 2 little dogs are bored. What's the cure? Hibernation?
What do you other yankees and cold weather dwellers do in the off season?

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:38 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Move South? One of the reasons we bought an AS was to extend our season. Down here you can usually camp year round with a little preparation Then again you could join the migration of millions to AZ, FL or TX . Maybe you could do model trains with little AS trailers on the roadways? Build a model of every AS ever built? Just a few ideas.... Long winters are one of the reasons I don't live in that part of the country anymore. When I was growing up we lived in SD, IA, and WI don't miss those winters at all.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
"dream, dream, baby...Sha la la, sha la la la"(appologies to roy orbison)

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
We hear you Rog!

We winterized a few weeks ago...
I thought it was me but I'm happy someone else noticed: even the forum's spirit seems to have hybernated a little.

Well, our way to fight this is: winter projects for our AS!!

There's loads of things that need to be done to our AS to have him perfectly ready for the next season.

We're very busy adding all the missing necessities and personalizing it, besides repairing a few unsolved issues.

I'm sure that there's plenty you can do for your beautiful vintage and if you really get into it winter will speed by and before you know it... It's camping season again!

So roll up your sleaves and join the "Winterized AS Improvement Teams".

Happy work!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
We shovel snow, put wood in the stove, have a few linnie's & dream of summer.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
The Long Wait

I took our pontoon boat out of the lake a month ago and racked our kayaks for the season. There is not much more I can do with the Airstream.

I am already commuting to and from work in the dark at both ends. Kind of depressing--that and typical 12 hour days door to door. So, I have little time to do much anyway or vary my routines.

I am waiting for a good snow fall so I can burn some buckthorn brush piles that have been building up. Technically that can only be a "recreational" fire.

I am thinking I am getting too old for skiing. Never did downhill. Cross country seems more of a chore now. May look into snow shoes. I like to walk and there is a certain pleasure in the Winter to be able to walk on water (the frozen kind) and see our big lake from a different perspective.

It's time to switch from Leinies to Bourbon straight up and NO ice.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Even though we don't get nasty cold winters here, camping is just not the same as in the summer warmth. We go camp at the beach year round, and in winter we do more bicycling and walking, as opposed to squashing our butts in the sand. Of course in Baja, the best times to go are early winter and early spring. Too windy around xmas, and too hot during the height of summer. i will do some repairs and modifications on our trailer over winter as well, it's easier for me to work on the trailer whenthe air is cool outside.
I need to do a floor repair under the shower pan, and some beautificational activities inside.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
I need to do a floor repair under the shower pan, and some beautificational activities inside.
Note to self: Add the word beautificational to vocabulary and use it often.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I will be putting on the suntan lotion while you will be putting in the antifreeze...lol That's the good thing living close to the Texas Gulf Coast. Winter here is simply opening the freezer for a few seconds but you get to close it as soon as you get cold !
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

What to do?

I'm going to enter the A/S in a new catagory of decorating this year. I plan on havin' me some of them Linenkugels and decorating the Stream for Christmas. I will be hanging all of my pink flamingo lights in the widows and really doin' the outside up too. I'm even gonna put one of my plastic flamingos on the roof! (Like Santa comin' down one of the vents.)

Well, my neighbors need some good entertainment up here in Wisconsin, don't cha know?

I'll even post some pics for ya too!
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Gwen, I camped over the weekend at Magazine Mountain, and across the campground was a fully decorated SOB. Long strings of twinkle lights from the trailer through the trees, Christmas tree in the window - also with lights, stockings hung festively across the top of the window. Few people put that much effort into their home decorating.

I doubt I would have believed it had I not seen it.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Christmas Lights

I strung two of those LED rope lights you can buy at Target inside my Airstream. That's as far as it goes for now.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I did it!

Can't wait to get my digital camera figured out so I can post you good folks some pictures of the A/S all decked out for the Holidays. I used suction cups to hold everything onto the outside and they seem to be working great. I have a wreath on the door, a tree in the window, lights and garland all around, and it only took 3 Linenkugels to do it! Well, 2 to warm me up and one to actually do it.

The neighbors even came out and gave me a hand. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. My sides are sore even.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I might be yankin' mine down to Florida this weekend. Watched the Weather Channel, and it looks bad down the I-77 corridor. I may wait til Sunday or just drive down and get a hotel room for a few days.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote