Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
What to Do

I have a question: How do you spend time in your trailer after you're done with all of your activities and/or it's too rainy/cold, hot, etc. to do anything outside?..do you read, cook/bake, play music, play instruments, etc.?
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
I have a question: How do you spend time in your trailer after you're done with all of your activities and/or it's too rainy/cold, hot, etc. to do anything outside?..do you read, cook/bake, play music, play instruments, etc.?
I usually sit (lie) on the couch, until I can muster the energy to get up and go back in the house...
Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
So much to do, so little time....

If it is rainy or cold, sunny or warm... always stuff to do!

I like to:
  • read
  • drink hot tea
  • look at the scenery
  • listen to music or a good mystery on CD...
  • scour the maps for the next adventure
  • if I have my laptop, work on my family tree program
  • talk to my husband
  • dig out the munchies...
  • walk in the rain...
  • and of course, there is always the "classic" nap
My husband likes all those things as well, but you might also find him
  • drawing or sketching
  • napping
  • napping
  • napping
  • napping
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
It seems that there is always something to fiddle with on my 78. I start with reading or making the list, followed by a nap. A snack after napping, then reading the compost list, ahh.... time for a nap. So you see there is always something to do, simply followed by a nap
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
If it is rainy or cold, sunny or warm... always stuff to do!

I like to:
  • read
  • drink hot tea
  • look at the scenery
  • listen to music or a good mystery on CD...
  • scour the maps for the next adventure
  • if I have my laptop, work on my family tree program
  • talk to my husband
  • dig out the munchies...
  • walk in the rain...
  • and of course, there is always the "classic" nap
My husband likes all those things as well, but you might also find him
  • drawing or sketching
  • napping
  • napping
  • napping
  • napping
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow, hello to a fellow Californian!..yes, I forgot about the napping, napping, napping..
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Yes, napping is good!

One of the reasons we go camping is to get away from it all.... take life a little easier and enjoy where we are and what we are doing! The other thing that I didn't have on my list is talking to other Airstreamer's or showing another camper our Bambi. Visiting with new friends is always fun and relaxing.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
visiting with new friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Yes, napping is good!

One of the reasons we go camping is to get away from it all.... take life a little easier and enjoy where we are and what we are doing! The other thing that I didn't have on my list is talking to other Airstreamer's or showing another camper our Bambi. Visiting with new friends is always fun and relaxing.

I agree with you about the visiting with new friends!..the campground we frequent in Manchester near Pt. Arena where we go abbing always has fellow campers to visit with..there are a couple of Airstreamer's who've camped near our site, and it's fun to see what the inside looks like in the different trailers! I thought our 22.8 ft. Safari was tiny, but Bambis are even smaller and cuter!..does yours have a shower?..my cousin has one, but I don't remember seeing one(this was about 20 years ago that I went inside his)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Reading- -There’s so many good books written over the years. I’ll never have enough guilt-free time for my selfish self-indulgences. However, if I have company I’ll provide lubricants and it isn’t difficult developing conversations which may range to how-to fix what ain’t yet broken to subjective Kierkegaard and to dark Schopenhauer. But don’t avoid Sartre.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
[quote=
Aaahh, I think, therfore I am

The quote is from Rene Descartes.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I remember when I was very new to the chaplain/ minister thing and a newly married young man asked if my wife and I ever ran out of things to talk about. Being a neophyte to my position I thought he was being sarcastic, sadly he wasn't. In my experience of marriage, then and now 37 years, we never have enough time to just talk and never run out of things to talk about.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I apologize Codybear I accidentally hit the edit button when I wanted to quote your post instead. Please accept my apology I did not mean to edit your post.
Kent
Old 08-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
I have a question: How do you spend time in your trailer after you're done with all of your activities...
i'm usually rivetting on the parts that fell off getting me to the campsite in the first place!

haha!

jp

ps. if anyone sees a rear belly piece on 75 north, let me know...

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #13
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Ah reading is always good. There never seems to be enough time for that at home...too much else to do.

Also I reorganize the cupboards (one more time, lol) to find the best way to pack and store everything. There is always a better way to organize!

And I let the little kids watch a video sometimes if there are hookups.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
[quote=A-Merry-Can]i'm usually rivetting on the parts that fell off getting me to the campsite in the first place!

Hi Merry-Can,

Funny you mentioned about rivetting..guess we get a lot of CA road vibration, I'm always finding popped off rivets on our floor!!!..wonder if it's only older models like mine that have that problem?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I apologize Codybear I accidentally hit the edit button when I wanted to quote your post instead. Please accept my apology I did not mean to edit your post.
Kent
Hi Chaplain Kent,

No problemo!..thnx for the edit..that's right..it was Descartem nit Sartre..guess my memory hit a snag along the way of life!

I also spend time talking w/my husband about anything and everything under the sun..the best time to talk for us is early in the morning as we're starting our day.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Ah reading is always good. There never seems to be enough time for that at home...too much else to do.

Also I reorganize the cupboards (one more time, lol) to find the best way to pack and store everything. There is always a better way to organize!

And I let the little kids watch a video sometimes if there are hookups.
Hi BamCamper,

Another Californian, where abouts are you?

re: reorganizing the cupboards - that's one project that always is on my mind. We have little slide-out drawers under the twin dinette beds in the front..the drawers are made of plastic and have become brittle and cracked over the years. One can only use gray duct tape for so long!..so we're in the process of replacing them w/wood drawers that my husband has built..that will keep us busy for a while. We put up a couple of shelves inside one of the tall skinny closets.

We bought a portable tv/vcr combo last year. It works really great when the tv doesn't work in certain places, the vcr comes in very handy!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Quote:
I agree with you about the visiting with new friends!..the campground we frequent in Manchester near Pt. Arena where we go abbing always has fellow campers to visit with..there are a couple of Airstreamer's who've camped near our site, and it's fun to see what the inside looks like in the different trailers! I thought our 22.8 ft. Safari was tiny, but Bambis are even smaller and cuter!..does yours have a shower?..my cousin has one, but I don't remember seeing one(this was about 20 years ago that I went inside his)
Well, in my way of thinking our Bambi has just about everything! Yes, we do have a shower. The only thing we don't have is a oven... but, I enjoy dutch oven cooking so I really don't need one inside the trailer... I do have a small microwave, but don't have it in the trailer as we like to camp in places that often does not have power. Besides I usually only use the microwave to heat up stuff...

You need to understand, however, that we "moved up" from a teardrop to the Bambi. (Formerly had several SOBs.... 5th wheel, Motorhome, etc. but abandoned them for the teardrop! ) As we age, we often tend to want less to take care of. Downsizing is often a good thing.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #18
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
..wonder if it's only older models like mine that have that problem?
if ya didn't have to fix em, what's the point? last trip, i ended up replacing all teh shelves in my main cupboard, the vibration, and shoddy repair work by the PO made them all seperate! i had to do that one at home, though... so it doesn't count... i AM however taking replacement interior lights with us on our next run! somehow, working on little things at the campsite doesn't seem so much like work, does it?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #19
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Nice thread!

Quote:
How do you spend time in your trailer after you're done with all of your activities and/or it's too rainy/cold, hot, etc. to do anything outside?..do you read, cook/bake, play music, play instruments, etc.?
I assume this means we are done walking, kayaking, biking, chasing a four year old around, chasing a dog around, etc.Does putting my feet up and looking out the window count!

Seriously, if son and hubby are napping under these weather conditions, I do puzzles, read, and/or plug myself into the ipod. I like to sit out under the awning even if its not nice to do stuff outside just to dig the campground surroundings! Usually we have a beautiful view at the state and national parks! Their naptime is usually my free time you know.
I prefer to bake and cook outside and just reheat stuff inside the trailer.
I love reading all the responses.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
if ya didn't have to fix em, what's the point? last trip, i ended up replacing all teh shelves in my main cupboard, the vibration, and shoddy repair work by the PO made them all seperate! i had to do that one at home, though... so it doesn't count... i AM however taking replacement interior lights with us on our next run! somehow, working on little things at the campsite doesn't seem so much like work, does it?

jp
Hi jp,Got home from a 2 niter at the Coast..new fix-ums for use to do:
  1. replace the tire that got a bubbleput back the fire extinguisher on the wall guess the screws got loose with the road vibrations
  2. the shower pipe came off the wall too..have to find the screws that fell down into the tub and put that back up.
  3. get a new room divider of some sort between the bathroom and the kitchen..we had bought one of those vinyl covered wood screens that has worn out..maybe just a nice curtain will do the trick..