Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Certifiable

. , .
What moves you?

In another thread, "Front door camping," started by janetb, anholman mentioned that his friends sometimes ask him why he has a "camper." "You can camp right in your yard!" A fine compliment to be sure but, understandably, he doesn't feel he has a satisfactory answer for them.

As a matter of fact, when you look at the picture anholman posted, you definitely get the feeling that he lives in his own spectacular National Park! We all KNOW why anholman leaves to go camping but can we actually put it into words?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
We live in a very nice area, and do at times camp around here. But I like variety. I don't ever see myself camping in the same place for long. Sometimes it's the Sierras, sometimes it's the beach or next to a river. Different strokes....
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I love variety and change of scenery too!..nestled amongst the Redwoods or looking over the lake or ocean suits me to a 'T' or is it 'A' for Airstream!!!..the beautiful parks and forests of the states I've visited is something I enjoy about the whole camping/trailering experience.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Being on the road again and wondering what's just around the bend lures us from home year after year. Thanks to responding to the lure, we too have found ourselves with spectcular front yards: Lake Superior, Many Glacier, Boulder River, Gulf of Mexico, and on and on. Gypsy looks fine out back by the barn, but she really sparkles on the road or set up among the pines along new water.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Great thread.

We love cruising the back roads in our '57 Pontiac TV with the trailer behind. We love touring down along the WA/OR coast, through the Cascades and down through the high country in OR and then over to the coast and back up home. Living in Vancouver, BC we have a lot of great places nearby to camp and they are great for short weekends, but they don't offer much of an opportunity to enjoy touring in the Pontiac. Even in our back yard we camp now and again as we have a creek and beautiful tall trees and it's like a park, but the need to cruise overcomes us and away we go.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Once we get our new TV (next week!) we're especially looking forward to trips to the WA/OR coasts, and of course to beautiful British Colombia. Although we have great places to visit right here on the Monterey Bay, the reason we got this lovely towmobile was to adventure and travel afar. In the meantime, we gaze at her a lot sitting in the driveway, and since we brought her home under a full moon, we like compatible silver glows. Terry took this tonight. Not a full moon, but a gorgeous one!
Janet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonset.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	32642  
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Janet, that is beautiful. Love the moon shots.

Its true, there is no place like home be it National Park-like or otherwise. But no mater, whether backpacking or in my Airstream, there is nothing like the freedom of exploring someplace else, something unfamiliar, or simply watching the sunrise from a different perspective. The stress and stagnation of the same ol' same ol' gives way to a free-flowing symphony of the senses and I'm compelled to dig in my toes and appreciate Mother Earth. That's what moves me to camp.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
What moves me to camp is the time with my family. My job is very demanding with crazy hours. I live with a cell phone in my hand. When we go away is the only time I can set it aside and not worry about it. It is "our" time. And that moves me to seek more of it.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
Howling at the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Once we get our new TV (next week!) we're especially looking forward to trips to the WA/OR coasts, and of course to beautiful British Colombia. Although we have great places to visit right here on the Monterey Bay, the reason we got this lovely towmobile was to adventure and travel afar. In the meantime, we gaze at her a lot sitting in the driveway, and since we brought her home under a full moon, we like compatible silver glows. Terry took this tonight. Not a full moon, but a gorgeous one!
Janet
Ultra cool picture Terry! I like that, "compatible silver glows."

BTW, what kind of TV are you going for?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks, MBlue!
We're getting the new Tundra 5.7L Ltd. w/6sp., 2WD,double cab (not the big crew cab) with a reg. bed. Terry drives a Tundra now--it's about 7 yrs old and has been a great truck, but not enough for a 25' Safari. We had to do some searching for a model that had both tow mirrors and the Nav. system--although to us they seem to go together!
Cheers,
Janet
Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Having lived in a good number of places, we often realized that we knew the local area much less than we did more distant areas. There's just something about hitting the road and exploring normally out-of-reach places that appeals ...

Lynn
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Get away from it all!

The only problem with camping in your own backyard is it's your own backyard. Too close to all the housework and yardwork, the phone and computer, the job, the community, all the things that are the reason you live there when you're not out looking to see what's outside your own backyard.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
The only problem with camping in your own backyard is it's your own backyard. Too close to all the housework and yardwork, the phone and computer, the job, the community, all the things that are the reason you live there when you're not out looking to see what's outside your own backyard.

-Jamie
Hi Jamie! I'm always too close to housework and yardwork; even when I'm 3 state's away! But are you really able to leave your phone and computer behind? I think my hands would start to twitch uncontrollably if I didn't have my laptop.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie

-Jamie
Yes, I did say in another thread that I had no answer to friends who commented to why we have a camper when our home is like a campground. Jamie's quote is how I sometimes would answer. We have always camped with our kids. Sometimes it was travel to national parks, the coast, the mountains,Southwest, Northwest but when they were older it was just camping at our favorite lake for a week. Kids grow up. Son now in the Navy (Kuwait) and daughter married and for 3 years lived in Connecticut. Somehow to us camping without the kids wasn't the same. We sold the camper..it was just sitting. We bought the AS on the spur of the moment last spring while my wife and I were recovering from medical issues. My wife from a stroke and I from 2 hip surgeries. Neither of us could drive to pick up the newly purchased trailer from the next state. A good friend did that for us. Even though it was months before we could tow the AS it's healing magic was at work...from in front of the garage. The activity of 'personalizing' it in anticipation of going somewhere was healing. Finally at the end of summer we took 2 short jaunts..one to a nearby lake and park and then to a Vintage Trailer Rally an hour away. Oh what fun...again...even if the black tank leaked. Now I am replacing that tank (with some floor) and we are signed up for the April NorCal Rally and have made reservations at that favorite lake for 2 summer weekends. We have not been there in almost 10 years..and do you know what, our daughter, husband and 2 grandsons will join us. The cycle is complete.
Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
Hi Jamie! I'm always too close to housework and yardwork; even when I'm 3 state's away! But are you really able to leave your phone and computer behind? I think my hands would start to twitch uncontrollably if I didn't have my laptop.
I'm not a phone person, so I don't have any problem leaving it behind. Most of the time when I remember to put the cell into my bag when I go out the door, I forget to turn it on, or huh? you mean those batteries need to be recharged?

We took the laptop with us for Doug's work on one trip (to Maine) last summer and the connectivity was so lousy we gave up on it. We're taking a longer trip this summer and we'll have to take the computer along (darn it anyway), so maybe our escaping the computer has been short-lived. We'll see.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #16
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread!

Hi all,
Love to read the responses! Overall, we like camping near water with trees for activities, shade/privacy for the pup and us too. I really like it when we can get a waterfront site as its easier to play with our son cause we don't have to cross a street to get to the water/sand, and if the campground has a nice playground even better! Trails and bike paths make it fun too. Mountains are good ....Course that's the ideal for us at this time.

We surely love meeting people and socializing but that has tended to be a different camping scene altogether from our state/national park routine. Now if there was a campground with waterfront sites, lots of trees-privacy, clean restrooms/showers, playgrounds, full hookups, laundromat, and fun Airstreamers of all ages to visit with aahhhhh that would be sweet.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .and have made reservations at that favorite lake for 2 summer weekends. We have not been there in almost 10 years..and do you know what, our daughter, husband and 2 grandsons will join us. The cycle is complete.
Neil and Lynn"

This phrase jumped out at me from your post because it so true for us. We began camping in the Gunflint area of northern Minnesota over 20 years ago when our kids were teens. Two of them returned to Grand Marais for honeymoons--scheduled when the family would be there too (can you imagine??) and special summer trips have them joining us with grandkids now. The stories we began in the late '80's are part of the family lore now that even the five year old knows: he asks when we are going again to "Minnewota." We have family camped with all by one daughter in Yellowstone also. Camping as a family grows deep deep roots ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Perhaps this responce is to philosophical but here's my thoughts. looking at the history of man there have always been groups of peoples who were nomadic and those who settled in town and villages. I can't help but think some of that same nomadic spirit is still arround in folks today. You can sence it in folks that are full timers or maybe your own emotions if you've ever concidered fulltiming or just thinking about somewhere you would like to go. I was telling a neighbor last fall my "migration. spirit" had kicked in and I was heading south. As to explaining I'm not sure you can. Either you instinctively understand or wouldn't even if someone explained it.-------------------pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
Certifiable

. , .
Wanderlust plus

I love all the responses so far. It seems we all have a lot more in common than just an appreciation for a magnificient icon. You all describe your love of family, friends and travel so well I'm sure you have some favorite pictures you'd like to share.