Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey john hd,

Great factory literature there ,yes I did read about the v12 offered ,yes the twin six, the book says about 1000 of those babies were installed in the bigger trucks ,bet it weighs a bundle ! Did you guys know the detriot diesel
with the 4-71 6-71 and 8-71 blowers were the ones used in the early days
on hotrods ,mainly the 6-71 ,the most popular ,the name Dyers comes to mind as well ,probably spelled that wrong.As in a dyers 6-71 blower.That
twin six does look like to v6 s molded together .There was a hotrod guy
back in the 80s that had made a v16 as in two 350 chevys molded as one.
Falconer was the name .had some photos in either Car Craft or Hot Rod
magazine .Interesting .

Scott

Old 07-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #58
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi overlander63--I got a good laugh out of your definition of CHEVROLET--Completely Hopeless Every Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engine Technology--and you are right. There is much better engine technology available in the market place today, however there is a lot to say for "tried and true". The basic pushrod engine has good HP and torque and is: less expensive to manufacture, parts are available everywhere, mechanics are familiar with them, gutsy, dependable, long life, easy to rebuild, and reasonable cost of repair and replacement when long service life expended. I've had a lot of Chevy small blocks and love 'em. Frank S

Old 07-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #59
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
one of the big three will be owned by someone else before the end of next year
didn't this already happen?

how about 2 outa 3?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
didn't this already happen?

how about 2 outa 3?

cheers
2air'

Not yet, I was referring to GM. The Billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian has a significant share of GM but he has been in talks with Nissan and Renault to negotiate another 10 percent this would put him in a strong controlling position and likely boot CEO Rick Wagoner. I'm assuming you’re referencing Daimler as the second which already happened awhile ago.....As much as I love cars there is good reason why I don't recruit for the automotive industry their supplier have a love-HATE relationship. no bueno.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Kerkorian owns 9.9% of GM. If he owned more he would technically have a problem with banking laws and disclosures that I think he would not want to get in to. It is doubtful he will own more. When GM stock passed 30.11 he passed his break even point on his investment (closed at 32.23 today). As the major stockholder he has some influence but he doesn't and will not own the company. He pressed for a Nissan/Renault alliance to hopefully boost his share holding price. It is now up to GM to consider the offer. Ghosn, the Nissan/Renault CEO, said there will be no hostile takeover attempt. That's my take on the deal.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Man I hope GM doesn't get renault on board ,I have no desire to work on those .I have in the past ,after the first one you know why you don't want to work on anymore of them.

Scott
Old 07-31-2006, 11:45 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
He pressed for a Nissan/Renault alliance to hopefully boost his share holding price.
You are correct sir.. Kerkorian will not ever "own" the company but he has powerful influence to shake that sleeping giant. His power play is interesting to watch and we'll likely continue to see the other big cash rich Japanese auto companies testing the waters in Michigan.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Dauphette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
we'll likely continue to see the other big cash rich Japanese auto companies testing the waters in Michigan.
Other than perhaps Toyota I don't know if "cash rich" applies to any of the Japanese auto companies. Nissan was virtually raised from the ashes with "tough love" from Renault management. Mazda is a perenial drain on Ford and possibly the best "poison" GM has at it's defense is it's interests in Mitsubishi. I was never a big fan of Renault going back to working on cracker tins like the R-10 but they have made huge strides in the last couple decades. Unfortunately the same can't be said for GM, at least not domestically. Maybe the partnership would be a healthy influence. However, that arguement sounded good with the formation of Mopar-Benz and I think German management is left to rue the day they undertook that task.

-Bernie
Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Gmc

Hi, 59 Toaster. I worked at a few Chevrolet dealers and one combo Oldsmobile / GMC dealer and at that time General Motors, as Frank S. stated, would not honor warranty work on other GM vehicles. [Ford would work on all their lines] But GM had to change this because they were dumping Oldsmobile and someone had to take care of their warranties. So I think, but can't conferm,that GM changed their policy.
You guys are pretty sharp out there. So I have three trivia questions for you.

1. Who invented the automotive assembly line?

2. How many mules are in the twenty mule team?

3.What very common part of American made cars, dateing clear back into the fifties, had a metric measurement?

Bob