Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thumbs up What GPS?

I've been looking at a number of GPS navigation systems for use in our TV & car. The Garmin Ique 3200 seems to be a good ans. at around $500.-, sooo many units out there! What do you own & why, & what would you not own & why? Please only 3rd party units, not manufacturers included models.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
We use MS Streets and trips with GPS receiver

For approximately $150 you get Streets and Trips plus the GPS Receiver.

A friend of ours has a + $1000 GPS by Garmin (I think that's correct). He says he prefers Streets and Trips and would switch if he had room to mount a laptop in his toad.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I've had both Garmin and Magellon and the Garmin is a better product in my experince.

I have two Garmin Emaps. These are very good. I also have the RAM suction cup mount that holds it in place.

The emap allows you to download routes to it from Delorme software and it beeps to tell you a turn is coming. They are also firmware upgradeable via web downloads. So new features were added after purchase. Which is nice.

It's a little older technology now, but they still work great for me. Should be much less than $200.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We have used Garmin, TravRoute Co-Pilot, and Delorme. If you want to use a laptop computer in conjunction with your GPS then you should consider Delorme -- I don't know that its better than the others but the annual updates are inexpensive ($39). That was what we didn't like about Co-Pilot -- the annual updates were $100. Using the GPS with a Laptop computer, the GPS is not so critical -- most of the programming functions are done by the computer. If you use the GPS as a stand-alone, then you should look for the system that provides the functions you are most likely to use. My Garmin unit can be used a either a stand-alone unit or hooked to the laptop and used as the GPS receiver. Again, the most important concern is the mapping & tracking functions. My experience is that the smaller stand-alone units are just not quite as useful while driving -- its harder to see where you are and where your going than it is with a laptop system.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I have a Garmin GPS V and love it. It has maps that show gastations and resurants. you cand to a search feature down to street address of the loaded maps and it will plot you a course. The memory is the only down side and the newer units do have more memory. That said in our Tow vehicle we will have it tied into the lap top and be able to load the maps for the area we are and real time on the laptop for a BIG display.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
One advantage to a hand-held over a dash-mount is that, in addition to driving, you can use it for a wider range of uses - like boating, fishing, hiking and geocaching. Downloadable topo maps and navigation charts are great and really add to the versatility of your handheld.

I guess the down side to a hand-held, for some, might be the size of the screen when driving - but I haven't really found it a problem.

I also use a Garmin V - and as mentioned above - the memory size is a potential issue - particularly if you don't have a lap top with you on long trips so you can keep your maps current to your location.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
GPS Navigation

I've been using the DeLorme system for over a year now, with their proprietary GPS receiver, using a laptop computer powered by an inverter. For tired old eyes like mine you just can't beat it! The full-size screen display of the computer makes it so easy to just take a quick peek at what's going on. The computer does take up a lot of space - and figuring out a good way to mount it is a bit of a challenge. I tried some of the proprietary "mounts" but they just wern't quite right and I wound up fabricating my own to fit the center console. The voice prompts are excellent - although I find myself cursing at "Mary" when I get off route and she tries to bring me back on course! I was impressed with everything I read about Garmin's Street Pilot - but I was worried about the small screen. Overall, I'm totally satisfied!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
To further add to the confusion. Look at the Magellan RoadMate 300. I see Staples selling it for $599. My wife uses one for visiting houses for Hospice. If she can use it, it is very easy to use. It takes an SD memory card and I have downloaded the maps for the western US to it from my PC.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have the Garmin Emap and love it. It may be discontinued now, I got mine on closeout for $150. I also use it with my laptop, runing either Delorme, or MS Streets and Trips. I use NI-MH batteries in it when portable, as it does seem to use a lot of juice, like a digital camera.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Battery Life using GPS

With the Earthmate GPS unit that comes with the DeLorme package, the power consumption of the computer, coupled with the GPS, is fairly high. The "Earthmate" gets it's power from the USB port on the computer. Several times I've disconnected the inverter (----the vehicle's computer goes haywire when it finds something plugged into the accessory outlet with the ignition off!) and forgot to plug it back in. I don't believe I get more than a half-hour's use before the computer switches to standby. It doesn't even give me enough time to plug the inverter in - and, for some reason, it's a real pain to get everything up and running again. I wish a computer guru could tell me why??? The normal procedures for "restoring," after a stand-by event, seem to be ineffective. I've reasoned that it might be due to the power being pulled by the GPS unit.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
The Earthmate GPS uses 175mW at full power and <60mW when the GPS signal is strong. I doupt that this is draining your battery too fast. You may have a battery getting weak in your laptop.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

Old 04-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Weak battery

Dave:

That could be. I seldom use the laptop withour having it plugged in. It's less than two years old - but in the battery world that could be a lifetime! My only dilemma is the time it takes (---"procedure"} to bring it back on line when it goes to stand-by.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Cracker

Wich I could help you with the reboot time and process -- I have a Sony laptop and it does the same thing. The only way I can get it out of hibernate when the battery runs out is to press the power button. I also know that all computers are different -- maybe there is a computer genius out there in Airstreamsforum land that can help.

Also, leaving the laptop plugged in may actually shorten the useful battery life -- however, that's the way I run mine also.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

Old 04-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I am looking at stand-alone units only at this time. I've seen the lap-top installs but that is too much interior real-estate for me.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Garmin user for years

We've been using Garmin GPS for years. We have a Vista (handheld) for mapping new bicycle routes on uncharted logging roads in NH. Several years ago we got a GPS V which is still working great. And recently we picked up a 2610 for our tow vehicle. We got that one because you could get larger memory cards for loading maps. Longer trips require more maps!

The GPS offerings from Garmin for your car have some great routing features, and fantastic Points of Interest Data. One manufacturer recently stated in their marketing information that their POI data was a close second to Garmin's, and better than the rest. For a competitor to tout Garmin's software in their own marketing material is quite a compliment.

Last year on a trip to WV I found several useful features on the 2610. While driving on the highway you can look up service exits. One neat feature is the "icons" that the unit displays. Gas stations have images of Cars or Trucks. The stations with the truck icons were always nice and big with easier pull throughs for gassing up! Just a great extra benefit when towing.

And no, I don't work for Garmin. Just really appreciate great gadgets!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Computer Guru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
WI wish a computer guru could tell me why??? The normal procedures for "restoring," after a stand-by event, seem to be ineffective. I've reasoned that it might be due to the power being pulled by the GPS unit.
What kind of laptop? What Operating System (Windows 95, 98 ...)? How long ago was it built? Do you connect it to the internet by any method?

If you want, PM me with the info and we can try to figure something out.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
I currently use a Garmin eTrex as I want to be able to carry it with me, be light weight, etc. but I did get the Legend which has the data port. I can connect to a computer and upload maps and such or just navigate with the laptop. I, too, find the laptop takes up a lot of real estate. I met a couple who had attached it to the dash with a shelf type system. My concern with this setup would be evident in an accident where the laptop would be propelled into the passenger at 200 MPH by the airbag deployment. Then the passenger could also be propelled into the shelf support as well. So I just make do with my little eTrex.

I'm sorry, I think I found someone's soapbox and got off kilter here.
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
Old 05-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Garmin Nuivi 350

Hello ... Has anyone ever used this GPS? My elderly parents are considering one.. is it user friendly and does it have the Go home feature.. ?? Have been unable to find out if it does.. Have only looked online for now.. Thanks Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
I've had a Garmin V for a couple years now and have used it both on land and water. It works very nice. And looking at there newer products for automotive and knowing the products they provide for aviation, I could definately recommend them. I will personally be purchasing a 2730 shortly.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
When picking out a new GPS, you might consider the ability to update it. Roads change, it might be a little difficult to try to turn your rig around on a dead-end road because it's been moved. Also, I've run into a situation where a non-name-brand GPS was purchased, but it is no longer supported by the vendor and the maps can't be updated.

Just a thought!
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500