Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Question What do you regret about your first Airstream purchase?

Wife and I have been neck deep in tow vehicle pursuit this past month. We plan to buy a 27' FB Twin for ourselves and our two small children, and German shepherd, Chena. We are so excited we can't sleep. Literally.

We heard many folks buy too small a camper, and adversely, have heard some folks buy too big. Our hope is the 27 footer will split the goal post and give us decent space and still fit in the majority of campgrounds.

Our plan is to buy a 2-4 year old Flying Cloud which should knock $20-35k off retail pricing. Buying a $50-55k truck and camper at the same time is steep for us working folk. We are planning to buy a Dodge 2500 mega cab with 6.4 Hemi.

The main usage will be weekend trips 4-5 hours away in the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn. Also, a 2-3 week national parks type trip out west each summer. That's about as far as we have got, but I'm sure as we learn more we will have other trips lined up.

Being that this is such a substantial financial obligation for us, I thought it wise to seek council from you more seasoned Airstreamers. Is there any particular advice you might give someone in our situation? Any must have factory (or otherwise) accessories or options we should get?

Anyone familiar with the Smoky Mountains, we would love any campground or more remote suggestions. We have always tent camped and have limited insights into where we might take our Airstream. Ideas anywhere in the Southeast would be equally valued.

PM any camping suggestions you don't want to share publicly.

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan
Rockingham,NC
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Our first was an 08 sport 22. Then a 10 FC25 and now a 12 classic 30'. I liked the 25 but when my wife saw the used classic she was smitten. I wouldn't do a 25 again because it was difficult to get out of the bed turned sideways. A 27 or 28 would be great and you will be happy with either. We have a queen bed. Visit TCPC Airstream park if you're in the Smokies area. The more you travel the more you will enjoy the Airstream. Congratulations and have fun. Just over the NC side of the Smokies is a great train ride. Can't remember what it is called and we're traveling so can't look it up. Bryson City I think but not sure.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
You will not regret going bigger as you would going smaller. Get a diesel in that RAM.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I got lucky, no regrets.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No regrets, it was a great learning experience.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Learned what?
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Fortunately... NO regrets! We went with the 30' and glad we didn't go smaller. With the two of us and our 100 lb. Golden Lab, the 30' gives all three of us some comfortable space for what we need. No room to spare, but a good, comfortable amount of space.

The pup approves!

With two small children AND a German Shepard... you might appreciate the extra space in a 30'. Or the "Bunk Bed" floorpan, as well.

And if you go 30', I agree with Mrjkq... go diesel. No regrets on our choice of TV either!

Oh... one more thing... the window awning package is fantastic... wouldn't want to be without that.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have owned one 25', two 30's, one 31', and one 34', all Airstreams, since the early 1990's.

If I only could have one, it would be a wide body 30'. I think this size is the best compromise for large interior space and towability. We camped with two teenage girls with the 1970's 30' and 31'. It was tight sleeping and one bath was not enough when friends came along.

Since we now choose to have more than one trailer, and the children are grown:
We chose the 34' for staying in one place for months at a time, but still have the ability to travel. We have lived in/traveled in this trailer for 5+ months continuously (winter in Florida and side trips)
We chose the 25' for trips that we will be constantly moving. There's enough space for two of us, though on rainy days the trailer seems to shrink. We have lived/traveled in this trailer 3+ months continuously.

The gas engine will do the job, but a diesel would be better in the mountains. Though, I've traveled all over the Appalachians towing with a 5.3L Chevy.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Our 23 was a good entry into AS world. Hopefully retirement will bring a 25 for a regular bed and separate shower and toilet. Getting too old for that tiny toilet shower space

But other than that we LOVE our AS!!!!!

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We have had our Safari 25 Twin for about 18 months. We have travelled just over 5000 miles and spent 36 nights aboard, the longest stint being 7 nights. We travel with two small dogs and a 70# black lab mix. It is workable but feels a little crowded. Without the pets it is good. The trailer originally had a sofa and the fold out side tables for eating. The original owner had the couch and tables removed and replaced with recliners and a small pedestal table in between. I'd like a better arrangement for eating (dinette?) and room for guest seating, but I haven't seen anything I liked in anything much smaller than 30'.

I had a F-150 4x4 Lariat. I bought what I thought was the largest trailer it could safely and reliably tow. Even though I had substantial margin on GCVWR I had some trouble on a 6-mile 8% grade. It was the first time I had towed that challenging an incline and maybe I didn't handle it well, but it still convinced me I needed a bigger truck. The half ton was also lacking in cargo carrying capacity. With two people, the dogs and tongue weight I was really close to the truck's GVWR. i now have a Ram 3/4T with a diesel and "...I ain't skeered of no hill." If I had this truck to begin with I might have gone with a 27' or 28' trailer, but I want twin beds, a dinette, and recliners.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Buy a used truck, if necessary to stay within budget, and spend the savings on a unit with ducted air. You will not regret it!
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I don''t have regrets necessarily but some advice.

On Trailer:

I would strongly advise you to consider the twin bed option. At first that may sound awful to you but if at all possible; find a dealer where you can compare a twin to its equal length single bed model and you will probably realize for yourself the benefits. I will also add that front bedroom models, while popular, are not as handy when it comes to outside truck access as the truck is obstructed by the LP tanks, etc. Twins have 3 outside trunks as opposed to one and allow for much more trailer floor space adding multi-purpose functionality to the bedroom (sitting, changing area, tv room, etc) AND easy access to roof lockers as you do not have to crawl over the bed. If you study the floor plans of the 25,27 and 28 you will find the primary alteration related to bed orientation- making room for a big bed in the longer models as one of the two feet additional (27 and 28 are 2' longer than the 25) is used to turn the bed. Twin models just gain empty floor space at the foot of the beds.

On Tow Vehicle:

Four years ago I purchased a used '09 Ford F150 XLT with a 4.6 3V engine in excellent condition; HOWEVER, this summer I went into the hills of West Virginia on back roads and it was challenging to say the least. The truck did its job but loudly. The trailer had full tanks and the truck a filled bed with scooter and all. That particular configuration was designed as a moderate range hauler- 8100# tow, 1548 payload. Some of the steep grades were amazing. Those people must be house stranded in the winter. Two weeks ago I upgraded to a beast. A '15 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecobeast with max tow. The thing is designed to tow 11,900# and 1720# payload (standard payload) but I now have nearly 2.5X the torque I had before.

Quote:
Get a diesel in that RAM.
I will add that I carefully shopped RAM, Silverado, Tundra and F150 before committing. BTW, my first stop was the RAM ecodiesel but the salesman and dealer once hearing my towing needs strongly discouraged it. I was skeptical but when the salesman pulled up the specs on a Laramie Ecodiesel model they had I knew why- 1400# payload/8400# tow- that one with with their tow pkg. It was a mid-range like my current truck. They suggested the 5.7 hemi with 3.92 rear. I drove it. Heavy. Good turning radius but then the guy told me that I would probably get 12-13 mpg in town when not towing with that engine and rear end. I could tell you all the details but the post would be a novel. Needless to say, get a truck that will not be at its limits in pulling your Airstream. That said, you do not need a giant truck either. A 1/2 ton REAL TRUCK can do it configured to work as a truck and not as a "car with mulch bed". The Ford was nice, had the most ability as a truck and had the power to make it happen with the added bonus of having the most mpg/capability in a package.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I meant outside access to the TRUNK is obstructed by the LP not Truck access, please excuse.

oh, and, by those people, I meant the people who live off the roads in WV I traveled.

Geez I better go to bed!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
I think the 27 ft will be a good choice. We have a 25FB which suits our camping style well. We now wish we had gone with the 27ft for the walk around bed. It would make a huge difference, but it's not enough of a problem for us to trade at this point.

As for campgrounds in the Smokies, we prefer Tremont Outdoor Resort in Townsend TN,. Its considered the peaceful side of the Smokies and they have nice riverfront sites.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
i now have a Ram 3/4T with a diesel and "...I ain't skeered of no hill." If I had this truck to begin with I might have gone with a 27' or 28' trailer, but I want twin beds, a dinette, and recliners.

Al
Al... great post, my friend. And I love the "I ain't skeered of no hill!" Diesels are great trucks and "I ain't skeered of no diesel, either." (Buying new and getting an extended service contract removes any concerns, for me.)

For folks traveling just as two adults with pets, recliners AND a dinette is an awesome way to roll.

As retired folks, we subscribe to the "6-4-2" program. Six for cocktails (outside), four for dinner (outside), and two for sleeping (inside).

If buying a truck BEFORE trailer, I would go 3/4 ton and diesel. (We did this, and the truck IS our "daily driver", though we don't do any commuting.) 2015 3/4 ton diesel models will serve very well for 27, 28, and 30+ foot Airstreams. If you think a 25' will serve you well, and you subsequently decide that you need to go to a 28' or a 30'.... "You can keep your truck!" (And, unlike lies from the Govt., this is TRUE! )

The 2015 diesel models are remarkably comfortable, quiet, and reliable. Yes, you will spend some money NOW. But doing so will likely save you some money later, if you buy late model and get a service contract to remove any worries. Duramax, BTW, has an excellent service record and gives good mileage. GM continues to build for reliability and mileage, rather than pushing the envelope to have the most power possible. We couldn't be happier with our Denali HD with Duramax/Allison, as both a daily driver AND as the TV for our 30' International. But if need be, I'm sure I could be happy with a Ford or a Dodge truck, as well. I've had an F-150 and an F-250 in the past.

Another thing I like about the diesel trucks... you won't be tempted to dart about, in and out, dashing here and there, like the idiots do in the little passenger cars. You will quickly learn to go gently on acceleration, taking your good sweet time to go about your business. Diesels slow you down a little bit, which I thoroughly enjoy since these days, I am in no great hurry to get anywhere. My days of trying to zip here and there, dashing around like a busy bee are over. I take my time, drive my truck moderately, reasonably, and safely... and let all the busy little bees dash around like mad hornets around me. Diesels are good for your temperment!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our first 20' Airstream was too small for extended travel for two people, our 25 RB is just right and perfectly matched to our Ram 1500 Hemi with a Hensley style hitch.

With two kids and a dog we would have a 30' Airstream for the seating and sleeping, Ford Expedition Ecoboost for the full independent suspension, reasonable wheelbase and excellent towing power, and a Hensley style hitch for never having to be concerned about uncontrollable sway and absolute stability in crosswinds and semis blowing by.

You would regret a 27' for lack of comfortable seating for four (try watching TV sideways), the seat is unfortunately also the kids' bed, the seating is benches, and the dinette is also the lounge. That side bench seat is worthless as seating.

You would regret a Ram 2500 Megacab because of the long wheelbase which will make your daily driving, about town maneuverability miserable. Assuming it's your everyday family vehicle as well as now-and-then Airstream tow vehicle.

Shop for the Airstream or whatever travel trailer first, and then a tow vehicle to match. You'd be up a creek if you bought a Ram Megacab for the family car, and found a nice, clean Class B camper for the years with kids growing up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You would regret a Ram 2500 Megacab because of the long wheelbase which will make your daily driving, about town maneuverability miserable. Assuming it's your everyday family vehicle as well as now-and-then Airstream tow vehicle.
Doug... is the RAM 2500 "Megacab" one of those "block-long" trucks? Like a full Crew-Cab with an 8' bed? Those are a bit "longish". If it's just like a Crew Cab with a 6 1/2' bed... I sure wouldn't say that would certainly be a "regret".

We have a Crew Cab with 6 1/2' bed, Denali HD 2500, and love it as our "daily driver." No misery whatsoever around town. They're easy to drive and park just as easily as a 1/2 ton parks.

We don't do "daily commuting" however, as we're retired... we just drive into Scottsdale three or four times a week for errands/shopping, going to the range, and such. For these purposes, the Denali HD is an awesome vehicle for us.

If I had to drive an extended distance to work and back, every day, I might prefer the 1/2 ton Sierra Denali gasser... they are like driving a luxury car!

But for dual purpose... go to town for shopping and errands 3x or 4x a week... and towing the 30' Airstream now and then... we totally love the 3/4 ton diesel. This isn't a Soccer Mommie kiddie bus, by any means, of course... for that purpose... another vehicle would serve much better!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #18
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Dan-

We purchased a 2014 Flying Cloud 27FB Twin ( our Shiny Pete) in late 2013 after 12+ years of frequent RV use. We tried to buy a 2008 Safari 25 FB queen that was on consignment but the owner wanted too much and we wanted to trade our MH. We didn't know it at the time, but the Tampa Airstream dealer was weeks away from selling their store and we ended up with a good deal on our new coach and a decent trade on our MH.

Our RV history is we started with a 24' light trailer, went to a 26' slide (full height and heavier), a 31' 2 slides (heaviest, went to 3/4 ton TV), and then a 39' diesel pusher with a slide (the most expensive way we found to camp ). While we enjoyed all our rigs, honestly, we enjoy the Airstream the most, and wish we bought it about 2 rigs ago. As you can see we did the kinda normal "bigger must be better" that strikes a lot of RVers and Boaters.

Bigger is not necessarily better........... as we now know after nearly 2 years with Pete. The 27 with twins has been great for us, and we've easily spent 100+ nights aboard. We often have our almost 5yo grandson with us and soon will start his almost 2yo sister on regular trips as well. For us the ability to tow with a properly spec'd 1/2 ton, ample storage, ample living space, and all of the attributes of quality, durability, and towability of the Airstream make it a very nice unit.

Hope our experience is somehow helpful to ya'll!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink What do you regret about your first Airstream purchase?

The first.... A used 1963 22' Safari......no regrets.

The second....A new 2003 25' Classic......that it wasn't a used 1963 22' Safari.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Regrets about our first AS?

That we didn't get it sooner!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote