Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What do you like to do when you go camping?
Sit around and do nothing! 118 54.13%
Bicycle riding 88 40.37%
Hiking 130 59.63%
Boating 37 16.97%
Lawn games 16 7.34%
Read 99 45.41%
Sit around the campfire 150 68.81%
Cooking 85 38.99%
Eating 112 51.38%
Other (feel free to specify in a post) 51 23.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I'm glad to see fly fishing well represented in this thread. If I didn't mention it, my lovely wife Sam would probably leave me (taking the Safari). I bicycle and do dog agility when camping. She fishes and fishes and fishes. We both eat.
Hubby just taught me how to fly fish last year and now I'm hooked on it! Agility is fun too -- I had a small Golden Retriever who took part in agility. It sure tough at times keeping up with the dog!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
As others have mentioned, we puchased our AS late in the year and have yet to pull it anywhere. In fact, the dealer is storing it for us for the winter - will it EVER END??? For several years, we boated on the Great Lakes so we have an idea of what it will be like - if spring ever gets around to coming. We have several trips already planned starting in May. We know what we'll do with much of our time - we'll read a lot of books, we'll visit museums and historic sites all over the country. We've seen much of Europe over the years, having traveled there too many times to keep track. Now, it's time to see our own country - therefore, the AS. Retirement starts on April 1st but we'll both have part time jobs to return to so we will not be full timers. But, we will travel extensively - four-five nights on extended week ends with several two or three week jaunts during the year. We have several states listed as our must sees - Virginia, North Carolina, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Utah, New England, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio. Once they have been visited, then we'll take a look at the others. Many we will visit while heading for the above list - so I think we're covered for the next few years. We are so excited about getting started it's difficult to envision all the things we want to do. We've purchased the Tropics Room, the screened-in porch that extends the living space of the AS. Our list grows daily as we read about the places to see and visit in the books we've purchased. We look forward to historical sites and visiting with other RVers in the campgrounds. We're expecially looking forward to visiting with AS folks - comparing notes and comparing "aluminum beauties." We look forward to campfires and evenings of sharing experiences, travel stories and must see sites. We are in the process of re-upholstering the interior of our AS. Then we'll always have something different to show folks that come by and wish to see our AS. We don't want ours to look like all other Ocean Breezes. Hope to see you "down the road."
Prodigy Brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Pligram
Remember where U live is fun. I think AS tour if u haven't done it is a start and GKN axles across the street. Wapka's Neil Armstrong Muesum and In my back yard Muesum of the United States AirForce,now that will keep ya busy fir at least 2 days.
Enjoy your new toy.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
CLARKSVILLE , Tennessee
The DW and I just enjoy resting, bicycling, lounging on the beach, eating at local restaurants and touring the local sites especially when in Topsail State Park in Florida.
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
What we enjoy is waking up when we feel like it, walking and visiting with the other RV'ers. During the summer we enjoy the pool and hot tub. Basically, just doing a lot of nothing but enjoying our AS.

Now, if we are on our annual 3 month outting with the AS we have a different agenda but we still have our down time.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
We love to cook outdoors, grill, propane stove, etc. not yet at the over the fire cooking stage but interested!
As you get some experience cooking over a fire you'll hardly want to cook over a propane stove again. The key is to have a good spread of hot coals to cook over, all the flame does is blacken your pots and all. I believe using cast iron is best, it's always been my favorite to use, cast iron skillet and a dutch oven is the way to go.

Setting around the fire at the end of the day is my favorite part of camping. It takes me back to when I was a boy setting around with my dad and friends. It's almost a religious experince for me, like as though I'm in Church.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
We are basically newly weds also (3yrs) never had a Honeymoon.
dmreilly We need one of those signs. LOL!
Hope to see you on the road
Roger & MaryLou
You better hurry on getting that sign, things change after a few more years!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Tradewind
You better hurry on getting that sign, things change after a few more years!
I'm 51 years old. My son is 3 and my daughter is 5 and the preschool won't give me an AARP discount!!

I know what you mean. Age (and chidlren) will do that to you.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
68 TradeWind
We have been together 8 yrs and never have run of the things to talk about. I doubt if that will change.
dmrielly1000
I'll be glad to loan ya my AARP card thats for old people. Dont worry U will get there soon enough.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
dmrielly1000
I'll be glad to loan ya my AARP card thats for old people. Dont worry U will get there soon enough.
Roger
Thanks, but I am eligible at age 51 to be an AARP member.

AARP Membership - for Men and Women over 50
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We enjoy many of the things listed above, campfires, food, drink, conversation etc.
A couple of things to add. It seems that most every time we attend our WBCCI Unit rallys, there is some activity that we would not have done on our own. We visited the Museum of making Music in Carlsbad, CA. A small, family owned and operated cheese factory near Temecula, CA. A great tour of Edwards AFB (tour guide was the head of public relations for Edwards). I can't list them all here.
The other activity we enjoy, which has not yet been mentioned, is kite flying. We love to fly our beautiful sport kites whenever there is room at or near wherever we are camping. Last week it was in Quartzsite, AZ.

Here are some photos and a link to a short video for anyone interest in what else we do for fun.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6221427s640.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	53359   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6221428s640.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	53360  

Name:	P6283068s640.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	53361   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8259457s.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	53362  

Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Now that is impressive. Gosh, whenever anyone has told me to go fly a kite I've obviously misunderstood.

You two really do that well. Thanks for sharing,

Barry
Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Other=wander and explore.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I guess either the whole world is out of step or I am. I go do what I want to do and if it takes more than one day I try to spend the night there as comfortably as possible. That means taking the AS and have the ability to eat ice cream in the middle of nowhere on a hot day------and maybe a cold one or two. I like to explore, jump in hot springs where ever I find them, and fish where no one else is. The fishin' is always great, but sometimes the catching is not so good. But I don't care. It's the adventure! There is unexplored country beyond the end of every road that is calling for me.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #75
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Cool

Quadding! I can't wait for Airstream's first REAL toyhaulers (not basecamp) to hit the used-depreciated market. This year, I'll be adding mountain biking to the roster.

I also love rockhounding and prospecting, and exploring dangerous old mineshafts. I have boxes and piles of pretty rocks everywhere, too many, really. Staring for hours at desert panoramas, with miles of alluvial fans climbing, climbing, climbing... Hiking and exploring the wilderness.

I've also started spreading native wildflower seeds around my favorite campgrounds, and with guidance from the rangers, hope to start planting a few trees a year at them too. I also find myself mending eroded trails etc where I see a crying need, which isn't seldom with ever-short forestry budgets. I try to go a bit beyond average with the credo of leaving it nicer than you found it.

Eating lavishly for being out camping. I prefer the stove; my campfire cooking hasn't gotten far past the hot dogs on sticks, and s'mores level.

Relaxing and napping. Staying up waaay late, looking at the stars, and taking long exposures of them. If you use a flash with a long exposure, you can get great shots of your rig or the near landscape along with the full starry sky. ) I've also used long exposures and a strong laser pointer to write and draw on mountainsides!

I guess I'm one of the few here that kind of tends to avoid other campers. Maybe its because I work hard all week, dealing with the public so those precious few times a year I can cut the cord and get out, I don't want to talk to anyone if at all possible. Not that I'm an ogre or anything, just not in gregarious mode.

Staying as late as possible on Sunday to watch the sunset until full dark. Arriving home at like 3 a.m. on a work night.

Good thread!
-SilverSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage
Quadding! I can't wait for Airstream's first REAL toyhaulers (not basecamp) to hit the used-depreciated market.
So, is it really true? Will Airstream start manufacturing non-Basecamp toy haulers?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Toy Hauler from Airstream?

Here are two photos if the Airstream toy hauler prototype.

Don't know if it will ever make it into production.

I know one WBCCI member who is considering making such a trailer from a large older Airstream to carry his Harley.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	53476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	53477  

Old 01-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Is the colod coordinated Backgammon set a factory option?

Peter
Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
It really wouldn't be too hard to make such a unit from an large, older, side-bath Airstream. Those units usually have the galley right inside the door on the curb side. Sleeping could be in the front using a couch which makes into a bed.

It could be a fun project.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #80
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Fire,Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Tradewind
As you get some experience cooking over a fire you'll hardly want to cook over a propane stove again. The key is to have a good spread of hot coals to cook over, all the flame does is blacken your pots and all. I believe using cast iron is best, it's always been my favorite to use, cast iron skillet and a dutch oven is the way to go.

Setting around the fire at the end of the day is my favorite part of camping. It takes me back to when I was a boy setting around with my dad and friends. It's almost a religious experince for me, like as though I'm in Church.
fires rule for cook'n
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STREAM'N IN NEW ENGLAND.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	53486