Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
What are you reading?

I recently finished “The Right Side” by Spencer Quinn. I think it's the best book he's ever written. He wrote the enormously popular Chet and Bernie series about a private detective and his dog. He and Donna Ball seem to have the edge on dog mystery books, and I’ve read everything they've written, just for entertainment, since I don't watch TV. We were all disappointed when Spencer ended his Chet and Bernie series, and frankly, he could have made a lot more money if he'd just continued writing them. Which meant that when he climbed to the next rung of the ladder and wrote “The Right Side,” he was taking quite a risk. It would have been the same if Erle Stanley Gardner had decided he was tired of Perry Mason and had decided to write something like “The Grapes of Wrath” instead. I'm sure a lot of people have decided to write something like “The Grapes of Wrath” and have ended up making their living driving trucks, but I think Spencer has it in him. “The Right Side” isn't quite “The Grapes of Wrath” but it is headed in that direction. It is as entertaining as Chet and Bernie, but written at a deeper level. It is interesting that he seems to either get 5 stars or 1 star on this one. The 1 star ratings are from people who wish he had just continued writing Chet and Bernie stories.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Dinner at the Center of the Earth by Nathan Englander- couldn't put it down. It's a spy novel set in the Arab-Israeli conflict; a quick read with a unique format that had me from the get-go.

I'm about a third of the way into The Dark Net by Benjamin Percy and love it. A 21st century horror story that has me in its grips...
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Old 10-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
I love to read, And when camping I have more time to do so. The books I love this month are by J.R. WARD. They are Dark Lover, Lover Eternal, Lover Awakened, Lover Revealed, Then on to the rest of the set. I hate to put them down...
angle is offline   Reply With Quote