Old 08-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
What about this 34???

270266708061 on eBay

Its not what I wanted, but I can alter it, its closer. any opinions? How hard to put in a custom wrap around? Can't be too bad? are there any differences other than the obvious? Thanks for some nice and helpful answers in my quest to find a livable 34. Caroline

CarolinePica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
It looks like a nice 34 and even more so that the interior was just re-done. It definitely deserves a look if you can get to it. See if there is anybody here in the forums that lives near by that would be willing to accompany you on the inspection trip.

We have an '87 34 and love the extra room. I would have no problems living full time in our 34.

I am not sure what you mean by a custom wrap around. Could you elaborate?

Carl, Elaine & Finn The Beagle
2006 30' Classic W Slide & Limited Package Katarina
2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 8' Bed
AIR #14487
WBCCI #7429
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Looks decent, and with a state inspection you know the tires and brakes have passed. HOWEVER, you should know that sidewalls often go faster than tread on trailers - and sometimes inspectors don't know that.

The center stripe decals can probably still be ordered from the Airstream online store. Many people also just paint them on using painter's tape to create multiple stripes.

I don't know if you've looked but has quite a few Airstreams, new and used. Narrow the search by using "34" as a keyword.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
. , .
Originally Posted by CarolinePica View Post
...are there any differences other than the obvious?...
at the very least MORE of the trailer is shown, including minor issues.

so from a purely "looking at pictures" perspective that is a good thing.

it looks like the tires/wheels may be LARGER than the originals...

the pull out sofa/bed in these years is basically a hinged aluminum panel with padding.

it actually works better as a bed than sofa, because they are SO hard and have only one back angle...

i had one for 20 years, and could never get comfortable on the sofa except laying down.

that sofa and side table come out very quickly and can be replaced with a "custom wrap" easily.

as u can see from the shot into the shower these stalls have a lot of pieces and potential for leaks onto the subfloor.

that area isn't easy to inspect for long term issues.

the shower CAN be sealed up well IF the pan isn't cracked.

the glass all looks good as do the awnings we can see.

while one can tell BAD axles from pics (based on height) that doesn't mean normal height axles are good.

the rubber can still be hard and not suitable for much travel, even if not SAGGING in pix.

the shell appears free of major bumps and bruises.

photo shopping can only take one so far.

every trailer inspected IN PERSON is a learning experience.

even when the unit isn't really the one wanted.

so take a flashlight and ice pic, poke around in the flooring (in those bed storage areas and under the lav sink)...

turn everything ON and OFF, stand in the shower sit on the crapper and flop on the bed and sofa....

the cost of looking in person is your fuel money and time, while the price of buying the wrong unit is MUCH greater.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
OK, so you like this one better?

I did see the 77 photos of the one in FL, and there were at least 5 of the shower.

I have a feeling that its heading across the Atlantic, seller told me the attention and offers from there are too competitive for my budget. And, she's still trying to convince her husband to just keep it- she spent her savings on it, and wanted to use it in France for them to summer in.

I'm just sold on the layout- so maybe buying the one in MD is a better way, and to tear out the front furniture and add a big L shape sofa? We'll see.
CarolinePica is offline   Reply With Quote