Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Thumbs up Weird off topic request

Does anybody know of a forum like this one for automobiles? I’ve got a problem with one of the kids’ cars that’s driving me nuts. What I need is a forum that provides safe, comprehensive, RELIABLE information, as Airstreamforums.com does. I’d sure appreciate any advice.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
Depends on the type of car I know of several model specfic forums...and you could ask here there are several mechanics on here, and quite a few amateurs

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Aaron, it's a '95 Pontiac Grand Am. Quad 4 engine, automatic tranny, typical options. I'm having a problem with the timing. This car has one of those strange crankshaft timing sensors to an ignition modual, etc. Major weirdness going on, and tired of spending money. My plan is to attempt to repair, if it can be done cheap, then get rid of it. If not, sell it cheap and go with another car. As always, thanks for the help!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Aaron, it's a '95 Pontiac Grand Am. Quad 4 engine, automatic tranny, typical options. I'm having a problem with the timing. This car has one of those strange crankshaft timing sensors to an ignition modual, etc. Major weirdness going on, and tired of spending money. My plan is to attempt to repair, if it can be done cheap, then get rid of it. If not, sell it cheap and go with another car. As always, thanks for the help!

Jim
Jim,
Out of my league...my technologic abilities stopped around 1980 I was hoping you had something simple like a 62 Nova and I don't hang out on too many GM forums...I drive Fords knew there was a reason for it...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Jim,
..I drive Fords knew there was a reason for it...

Aaron
Agreed, I've got 4 Fords in my driveway, along with 2 Pontiacs (too dang many kids!). Unfortunately, I don't think this is a Ford/GM thing. I think it's just a poorly designed ignition system. Maybe somebody will chime in. Thanks, Aaron.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Weird off topic request

Greetings Jim!

Quote:
Does anybody know of a forum like this one for automobiles? I’ve got a problem with one of the kids’ cars that’s driving me nuts. What I need is a forum that provides safe, comprehensive, RELIABLE information, as Airstreamforums.com does. I’d sure appreciate any advice.

Jim

There are several automotive forums, but the Cadillac forums that I belong to are far less active than this forum. It can take several days to get a reply -- but that may be due in part to the fact that my newest Cadillac is 21 years old and the one that most often creates the questions is 30 years old. The link to the Pontiac side of that form is below:

Pontiac Owners' Forum

Good luck with your search for the timing solution!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Agreed, I've got 4 Fords in my driveway, along with 2 Pontiacs (too dang many kids!). Unfortunately, I don't think this is a Ford/GM thing. I think it's just a poorly designed ignition system. Maybe somebody will chime in. Thanks, Aaron.
PM me with the symptoms, maybe I can help.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Jim,

If that engine was used in chevrolets, try chevytalk.com and pick the car type that would have that engine and year. There are some very knowledgeable folks on there.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Fords...

Hi ALL...
Affraid I can't help either, but I drive 2 FORDS, usualy 'cos one of the critters is DOWN due 2 the Gremlins, Ford stands 4, Fix On Road Daily, as over here in the UK, most FORDS were NOT so reliable, BUT Happily 2day, they R GOOD, Im on My 9th FIESTA...LOL, & My D/Ds on Her 6th...LOL, the thing I LOVE abt our cars is, parts R easily bought off the shelf, & R so simple 2 maintain, I do MOST work 2 them, BUT as they R so RELIABLE, they hardly need fixin, U kn the sayin, if it's runnin...LEAVE IT ALONE....
D/D had a bad tick over & would not stay runnin, I gave it a look over & found a collapsed breather hose from the Rocker Breather 2 the Air Cleaner, replaced it, & it's a lot FASTER than MINE now...LOL, I guess I was jus lucky tho, they R so technic 2 day, & have 2B plugged in2 the main dealer Computor, at a un-forgivin cost...sigh, but YES, Give Me a FORD anyday, so Susan & Jim, GOOD LUCK, I kn the feelin, I realy do...Chris.....
Old 05-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

in front of a computer near Vancouver BC , Canada's Wet Coast
Quote:

Jim
Hi
what exactly is going on to make you think it is the timing ?
aluminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You could also try:

http://www.carsforums.com/
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Another one, that has a lot of VERY knowledgeable folks is the forum at: http://bobistheoilguy.com
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to try some of the sites tonight.

Aluminator, I’ve found (last November) several problems with the ignition system and replaced bad parts. It all started with a broken crankshaft position sensor. The crankshaft sensor was broken in half, I'm sure that's what stated all of this. Replaced it (a magnetic sensor about 1 1/2 inches long and little bigger around than a pencil, rests against the crankshaft and sends a very minor voltage to ignition module based upon position of crank shaft to supply "ignition timing"). Replaced both coil packs. Replaced ignition module (very expensive, $150), first one bad, new one seemed to fix all problems until last week, when symptoms started again. The car will sometimes start and run just fine. Then sometimes won't start for the love of Pete. When we experience these episodes of "not starting" it reminds you for all the world of 70's model that it completely mis-timed. If you're as old as me, you remember the symptoms....when you turn the key to start the car, it ALMOST starts, but not quite, then just continues to turn over until, again, it sounds like it's about to start, then goes back to continuous turning over. Then, sometimes, it starts just fine and runs o.k. for a while. All of this, of course, could be caused by a frayed wire somewhere (except for the broken sensor, obviously). Maybe my explanation is not too good, hopefully, you've seen this before.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-12-2005, 02:23 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

in front of a computer near Vancouver BC , Canada's Wet Coast
ok

You checked all those things again recently?

Once it is running, does it run fine, or does it run rough even when it is warmed up?

I have my mechanic-friend hook my cars up to his comuter to diagnose problems when I get stumped on diagnosing. He charges me $20.00. I fix them myself if I don't need to hoist them.

(BTW) I just re-read your first post and you said you wanted reliable information - I'll try my best.

I know i am lacking credability due to being the noob poster here.

I am working on my intro post.
aluminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
automotiveforums.com is terrific. I also use the specific forums I found thru google, like Saturnfans.com for my saturn or Saturnalia.com...
And on the other brand I enjoy PelicanParts.com tech forums for BMW & PORSCHE althought the Porsche guys tend to be a little pompous sometimes, they are full of good useful knowledge. Talked me thru a repair that would have cost me 300-400 ...ended up being 70 bucks.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
2 Late...

Hi All....
Have U noticed when U have a problem with Yr vehicle, or almost anything, U jus happen 2 mention it 2 a FRIEND...& that Friend will always say..." Y did'nt U tell ME, My MATE does that, & it would'nt have cost U as much..." always 2 late, so next time I'm gonna ASK first...jus one of those lttl things that realy BUGS ME...specialy when HE'S bn runnin U 2 work...
I hope U get sorted Susan & Jim...Chris.....