Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #29

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Inspried by the cell calls from the Towers....

if this is goodbye emmylou harris - Google Videos

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
Power to the People !
1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Originally Posted by airstreamjudy View Post
I was in London heading to the airport got in a cab. We were in traffic for a very long time. Finally Police told us to turn around. No flights - airport closed. Cabbie drove me around to hotels for a long time . . . he finally said "Lady, you don't know me, you are my first fare today . . . I will be working for the next 12 hours. I'm taking you to my apartment. You stay there until we can find you a hotel. You can rest on my sofa." He gave me a key to his home. He tried to get me a hotel room during the rest of the day. I ended staying at his house until the airport reopened. The schock of what had happened in New York, being away from home (out of the US) and staying in a strangers home was all extremely upsetting for me. I have not left this country since. Watching the replays of the Twin Towers was & is the most horific eaxperience for me.
I thank God everyday that I live in the US of A. I have since moved from Chicago to a small town in Florida and plan to stay in small town USA.

How very fortunate you were to have crossed paths with such a kind and giving individual. Despite the chaos he was willing to help out a complete stranger. It's nice to know that even with all the misguided fanatics in the world, that there are still many people who have a good heart. I only hope that if I'm ever in such a desperate situation that an angel like the cab driver helps me out.

We were getting ready for work listening to the morning news on the radio when they announced the tragedy. We quickly turned on the TV to find out more details. It was so surreal. Even though we didn't know anyone working in or near the towers, we couldn't help but feel a great sadness for the the immense loss.

We will never forget.

May God Bless all those who were lost, lost loved ones and saved lives that day.

Happy Trailering !
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #31
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Watched a show on CBC last night called "Diverted". It was the story of how a little town in Canada's far east took in over 6,500 people during the period when all the North American airports were closed in September of 2001. Shortly after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, 38 planes heading to New York City were diverted to Gander, Newfoundland.

Now, Gander's population is about 9,000 people, so I'm sure you can imagine that this was an overwhelming situation.

There were many personal stories about how all the people living in that town reached into their personal lives and helped out stranded travellers from all over the world with food, clothing, places to stay, and places to stay.

It just shows that there is a lot of basic goodness in people, and they will show it, given half a chance.

I highly recommend the show, if you are able to see it.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master
San Angelo , Texas
I flew into Gander, after my first tour in Kosovo and three days after our patrol hit an anti-tank mine. My ears were still ringing from the concusion of the explosion and my hand was still bandaged up from pulling my best friend out of the lead HMMWV, while it was on fire.

It was December 18th, 1999 and, from what I was told by the really nice locals, a pretty warm day (-20*C). I just remember getting off of the C-17 and hauling tail into the terminal. I bought my mandatory souvenir shotglass, a cool little bottle of maple syrup (which I still have) and some postcards. The locals I met there were so friendly to us, even though we were still in uniform and in dire need of showers.

I need to get back there with the Sovereign and family some day.
1971 Sovereign International - SOLD

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #33
Miss Rivette
1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Where was I....? I was a freshman in High School, in my 3rd hour class when I heard my choir teacher say to another teacher "It's all over the news...." I thought this was concerning a fellow student of mine that had passed away a couple days before and his death was a mystery to doctors. He grandfather had worked for a news station and we did see some clips of his death reported on the news the night before. However my teacher told us to go to our seats that he had to talk to us. His eyes were so deep, its something so hard to even describe. He then told us a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I was thinking a smaller plane, and that it was an accident, it wasnt until a few hours later I was able to hear the news on the radio, and see one picture on a computer in one class. I didnt see any footage of the towers until 11pm that night. After school I was in drivers training, and had to drive with an instructor, then have class after words. I couldnt believe my eyes. I remember when Peter Jennings signed off for the night, and I couldnt believe it! I was just seeing these videos and pictures, and they were calling it a night. I searched to find more stations covering the news, and found some, I watched all night long, waiting for any breaking news. Although I didnt know anyone that was taken away on that day, my father had a friend that worked at the Pentagon, and we were worried about him, we finally heard from him a couple days later saying he was okay. I have been to the Pentagon twice since that day, and I cant wait until the Memorial is done! I can never forget, it was the Pearl Harbor of my generation.
Laura Miss Rivette 2008
W8JUZ --......--
"Support Search and Rescue, GET LOST!!!!"
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
HELL NO! I will NEVER forget!!!

They chose to be our enemy and they will pay the price.

Godspeed to all freedom lovers,

TV1: Black Sheep, 2001 Dodge 3500, 800,xxx miles, a few non-stock parts here and there...
TV2: Brownie, 1989 Dodge W250, only 256,000 miles!
TV3: 2004.5 Dodge 3500, 415,000 miles, 6 spd
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote