Old 05-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
WAY cool Airstream vacation idea

This is neat.

Sure, I could refinish my trailer, polish it, hook it up and drive to some remote place where only my wife and I will enjoy it. That's probably what we'll do the first couple times out - I really want to see Bryce Canyon, Zion, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. BUT, the next time you hook up and pull out of town, you could be helping a family build a home for themselves as well, if you're not exhausted from working on your trailer, that is.

Just found out about a VERY neat idea called the Care-a-vanners which consists of RV'ers who come from all over to places where Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to build houses, including SC, NC, FL, LA, OK, IL, AR, CA, AZ, VA, WV, NY, NJ, MN, MI, WY, GA, MA, IA, CO, and SD.

Click here to see more. Imagine combining a mini Airstream rally atmosphere, with the satisfaction of leaving after a weekend having built a house!!! I think we're signing up for this.

...that is, if we ever complete our own aluminum habitat.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
WAY cool Airstream vacation idea

Greetings Brad!

Quote:
Imagine combining a mini Airstream rally atmosphere, with the satisfaction of leaving after a weekend having built a house!!! I think we're signing up for this.
While not precisely the same thing as the idea you posted, the Vintage Airstream Club has had a Habitat for Humanity work day at each of the last three WBCCI International Rallys that I have attended. While I didn't attend the WBCCI International Rally in Vermont, I do know that the VAC had Habitat for Humanity work days during the International Rallys in Bismarck, ND; Sioux Falls, SD; and Rapid City, SD. I don't remember whether there was a work day at either the Boise, ID or Dayton, OH Internationals.

Each of the work days that I attended proved to be quite enjoyable, and each found the subject home in a different stage of construction.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Hey Kev~

That's exactly the kind of thing I was imagining with the idea of a rally/house work combo. Really takes the concept of "Airstream community" to the next level.

As I was typing out all those states that need volunteers, I realized Melissa and I could take a month, working on a house for two weeks and rewarding ourselves with a couple national parks afterwards. I imagine it would certainly feel more like we earned the vacation.

The one day option at the International rally sounds good too, a good choice for those who can't afford the 2 week timeframe they request at the link in my first post, and I'll bet they still get a TON accomplished during an international rally, where if even half the people volunteered you could probably build a small town.