Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
Nick A

1987 29' Sovereign
Kingston , Georgia
THANKS everyone for the kind words, I am sure I will sell it. I have had a lot of response, but only a few serious inquiries- However, it's only been a few days posted so far, so I am still positive... My wife and I were very excited last night; today has been "a real downer".
This vent actually helps a lot!!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A
This vent actually helps a lot!!
Glad we could help.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Nick A

1987 29' Sovereign
Kingston , Georgia
HEY!! The buyer from Tampa just called me, he is coming up to look at it tomorrow, and is not too upset about being put off. As it turns out, he is actually closer than Tampa, he's deer hunting in Eufala, Alabama right now. He'll be here by 2PM.
Life is good!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
HEY!! The buyer from Tampa just called me, he is coming up to look at it tomorrow, and is not too upset about being put off. As it turns out, he is actually closer than Tampa, he's deer hunting in Eufala, Alabama right now. He'll be here by 2PM.
Life is good!!
Cool Good Luck

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
took me almost a month to sell my motorhome, and three weeks on the ruck. So you are doing great....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Life is good!!
Treat him right, don't cancel again, he is armed.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #21
Nick A

1987 29' Sovereign
Kingston , Georgia
Jim,
You're right... Point taken!! (So am I, to be honest, but I'll let my pair of German Shepherds do my talking for me if there's trouble here at home)

He seems nice, he had originally said he thought I would "hold it" for him. I never said that. Tonight, he said he was wrong on that point, so I think we'll get along OK. :-)
Nick A
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've sold a number of antique automobiles and I have observed the following:

-nobody buys sight unseen.

-the deal is done when the check is delivered.

-first come, first served (the guy who shows up first with the money owns it)
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #23
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
"when I called him he said he had changed his mind! Then he called weeks later when I did have it sold, and said he stil wanted it."

You could have said "Fine, fly on out." and told him it was sold after he showed up. A little Tit for Tat.

JB
Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #24
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Nick, I read this with only a couple of posts and didn't post then. Now that you've got your potential buyer lined up again, I hope it works for you. The rule I never violate is that I deal with one buyer at a time, and I'll hold the trailer for a couple of days if someone commits to coming and looking at it and makes an appointment. I take names and numbers and make a list in order that they call so I can call the next prospect in line back if it didn't work out. If someone down the list wants to come immediately, I always call the first person I'm working with to let them know what's going on and to at least give them the opportunity to respond more quickly than what they may have had in mind. If they don't, at least you gave them the opportunity.

If you do that, you will never have a prospective buyer complain about the way they were treated, and it tends to make prospective buyers a lot more comfortable about the purchase if you've treated them ethically.

Roger
Old 01-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Happens to the best of us

I got hosed bad once on a '69 Dodge Charger that I'd restored and had to sell when I was tight for cash. This guy calls up, offers me what I was asking sight unseen. Said he'd be there in a couple days. I turned away probably 40 other people who offered me as much as 50% more than what i was asking. Well on the appointed day, the guy shows up. Starts ranting and raving about how the car wasn't as good as I'd said (he was full of it) and jooked me down $300 less than I was asking. Being strapped, and in a rage, I sold it to him. He then came back a couple days later when I wasn't home and told my dad (the car was stored at my parents' house at the time) that I said he got a bunch of other parts I had in storage there too. Dad let him take the parts. I got back and found out about it. Not only had he beat me down in price on my pride and joy mopar, but he came back and stole a bunch of other parts I had. I was furious. But not enough to go after him on legally (how could I prove ownership on a bunch of 35 year old car parts?) and the guy is a nut who's actually shot people for getting into arguments with him. (he owns a junkyard and always says they were trying to "steal" from him....he's never gone to jail but has given a few guys some buckshot...)

So, I learned a lesson there too about being naieve and trusting. I generally tend to give people the benefit of the doubt....too often I'm afraid. And I got taken advantage of.

Happens to the best of us.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Nick the "selling journey" was not good. But now let's hope you do make a sale and all will be fine. Keep us posted.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
Nick A

1987 29' Sovereign
Kingston , Georgia
Thanks for all the shared stories, guys! It's nice to see I'm not the only one who has had the same type of thing happen, I guess I'm not alone.

Jim,
I also had a Mopar a few years back that I wanted to keep, but sold for less than I should have, too. It was a 69 Dodge Super Bee, Orange with the black stripe over the rear. All original numbers with a 383 H.O./335 HP, and an auto trans, and two functional scoops on the hood. Very cool and very fast! (So fast it was scary at times!) Original paint, too. I was building a home, and needed to dig a well I could not afford, but it had to be the first thing - the bank would not finance that during construction, so I sold the Bee. Had I kept it and held out for more $$$ I may have made more on it.
Nick A
Old 01-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
...-first come, first served (the guy who shows up first with the money owns it)
Nick A and Moosetags,
I had a wonderful experience when I purchased my '86 Sovereign. I saw a 2 hr. post on another forum advertising a nice 25' '86 Sovereign. I contacted the forum owner who posted the trailer for a friend. They told me that they would buy the trailer themselves if they didn't have a newer widebody of that length. While knowing the forum owner only informally but long enough to know they were of outstanding character, I took them at their word. I contacted the seller by email then phone. They sent electronic pictures and I was pleased with what I saw. During the conversation the trailer owner said that he had 2 individuals who had offered $1,000 each to hold the trailer until they could fly or drive to where the trailer was. He said that he had not taken either offer and that the first person who showed up with the money would get the trailer. I went to the bank that morning, got the loan and called him back not knowing if the trailer would still be there. I mailed the check overnight express and I was the owner.

I realize that this might seem rather risky buying sight unseen but I had two Airstream owners in the WBCCI who knew each other, one had a reputation to uphold and I felt good about that. In discussion with the trailer owner, I found that we were both in the same business of law enforcement (he casually mentioned it first). I felt even more comfortable. Could they have been in cahoots? Not in this case but you always have to be careful. I just weighed everything and the alarm bells just didn't go off.

Nick, I have found that when purchasing a used Airstream, if you snooze you lose. I missed out on several trailers because I didn't act fast enough with a level of caution. If this fella likes your trailer then it will be all that more special to him later on. You know, "the one that almost got away". Hey, a good forum or trailer name, Second Chance.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote