Old 11-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Police, Visa, Postal Service (buying items through the mail with stolen CC # is postal fraud), none of them will have anything to do with it. So the card holder gets their money refunded, the seller gets stiffed, and the crook gets their goodies and goes on to do it again! Am I the only one who sees anything wrong with this system?
About 10 years ago I received a cell phone bill for $3,500. I called the cellular provider and asked for billing. When I told the lady about my bill, she smugly said yessss. I said, "look at my last three month's bills." She said, "Oh, I see. Someone has cloned your phone." She then transferred me to the fraud department.

The lady I spoke with there told me that she would credit my account with the entire amount and I would owe nothing. Nothing! I told her I would gladly go through and pay the charges that I had honestly incurred. And she just said don't bother this kind of thing happens all the time. She then wanted to give me a new phone number. I didn't want that so she set up a PIN so it would have to be entered to make a call. She told me that as soon as the person that cloned my phone found out that they couldn't make calls on my number, they would move on to another number. I asked if I should leave my phone turned off for a few days so they could track down the person who made the calls and she said no that was too much trouble and they didn't try to catch the person doing the cloning. The next month I received a bill for more than $1,700 and the cell provider wrote that off, too.

More than $5,200 in two months and they didn't even want to catch the person who had ripped them off for more than five grand! This is the kind of deep pocket apathy that leads to the smaller merchant being the one who gets burned.

Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #16
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
More than $5,200 in two months and they didn't even want to catch the person who had ripped them off for more than five grand! This is the kind of deep pocket apathy that leads to the smaller merchant being the one who gets burned.
And the consumer gets burned too. For some reason I don't think the employees or management of Verizon/T-mobile/AT&T got the $5200 taken out of their paychecks. And I don't think it came out of the shareholders.

Who's left?

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:44 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The thing that gets me is that if you were to not pay your $50 phone bill, they would be all over you, putting your credit on notice, sending bill collectors after you, yet someone steals 100 times that amount and it's not worth their time to persue?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
A few years ago I got a call from some cell company. They wanted to give me two free phones for some obscur reason. he wanted info and asked me all sorts of questions. Then he wanted my social security number. No way. He insisted he had to have it and blah blah about the free phones. I told him I never give my socnum to anyone over the phone. He gave me a number that would varify for whom he was working. I still didn't give it up. I called the number the next day. It was a con. Point is the scam has been around ages. Never give out your socnum to anyone.
I have two email accounts. I get at least one bogus email daily - to verify this or that. Many accounts we have never had.
One of our members here got whipped out a while back.
The internet and the communication world is really a wild west show.
(sigh) I reminder the net before many folks knew what it was. Someday that will return.
There are good folks here and there are some real scumbags.

WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote