Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Now the push / focus at Wal-Mart is the remodel of all the stores.

While aisle space has made it easier to get around those who socialize while shopping it has resulted in a decrease in shelf space.

I tend to shop for groceries at Wal-Mart due to the prices. However now that space is limited I'm finding brands I used to buy are no longer in stock or are not offered in the sizes I used to purchase.

I've let it be known that if I have to visit another grocery store for items not in stock at WM that I will pick up what I need there rather than spend time and gas to get to WM.

Sumter, SC has one of the busiest WM stores in the region yet the plan for a second store was shelved last year so they could make the bottom line look better. (heard directly from a div. manager) A Monday visit will give you a look at the shelves like Florida after a hurricane warning.

The old WM property is still vacant and as mentioned the surrounding small businesses have all but dried up and blown away.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I do my utmost to not shop at Walmart for 2 reasons:
  1. Too big - They converted the old WM to a Super WM. It's so big you can't find anything, too big to run in for just an item or two, many brands have been discontinued. I now frequent the little store and the corner and am happy to pay for the convenience and keep my money local.
  2. Walmart = "Chinamart" - Junk, Junk, Junk - only 1 Gallon jugs of motoroil oil (Shell Rotella T 5w-40) are worth making a stop there.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I think PeeWee was right when he said he was leaving the Forum; this has become nothing but the "BIG BASH". There have been numerous threads bashing the WBCCI, Airstream, Wal Mart and etc.
I joined to learn the "how toos" of the world of Airstream-how to fix a leak, repair the floor, where can I buy ____, etc.
I just looked at a couple of Christmas gifts- Slippers from LL Bean, Shirt from Cabelas-BOTH MADE IN CHINA!!!
I have done some bashing myself, who hasn't, I bought a SOB from the local AS dealer and had nothing but trouble with it. I didn't feel the dealer did enough to repair the problems; the manufacturer went out of business. I have since purchased my AS from him. The message is Shopper beware. WalMart isn't all bad, they are trying to fill a need, not everyone can shpo at the big stores.
Well, so much for my rambling; If one doesn't like something don't let the door hit you in the --- on the way out.
mike
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I stay away, they have closed too many Mom & Pop's...
Stuff is junk..

One of our favorite's that's still open....Charlie Johns Store - Speculator, NYCharlie Johns too, right across the street.
Feeling guilty...

I completely disagree with my last post...

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #33
The Polishing Guru
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Riverside , California
Not to take up for any department store! I don't like Target, because they never have what I want. Kmart is So So, for the most part. And as for Walmart, I find that higher class Neighbor hoods have better stuff here in Riverside County California. And that all Walmarts don't carry the same things either. So I bounce from the North to the South Side depending on What I'm looking for. I like the fact that Kmart is the only one who has Lay-A-Way. Happy Shopping, Hey! Try out the Super Target and the Super Walmart they are a one stop shop.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
Airtandem: Thanks; what a breath of fresh air. Purchased on- line, a gen from Cabela's, last year.(China). When I was a young a soldier; my senior officer at the time, who became very successful, gave me this advise:"when thing's are not going the way they should,or, the way you think they should. Just sit down, and have an honest to god, sole searching self-evaluation, to see if you are doing, all that you can do, to influence the situation or to change whatever you think is wrong" When I start to complain or be critical. I often think about that advise; before I shoot from the hip,and make a fool of myself! Sometimes it works. Mell
Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #35
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I think PeeWee was right when he said he was leaving the Forum; this has become nothing but the "BIG BASH". There have been numerous threads bashing the WBCCI, Airstream, Wal Mart and etc.
I joined to learn the "how toos" of the world of Airstream-how to fix a leak, repair the floor, where can I buy ____, etc.
I just looked at a couple of Christmas gifts- Slippers from LL Bean, Shirt from Cabelas-BOTH MADE IN CHINA!!!
I have done some bashing myself, who hasn't, I bought a SOB from the local AS dealer and had nothing but trouble with it. I didn't feel the dealer did enough to repair the problems; the manufacturer went out of business. I have since purchased my AS from him. The message is Shopper beware. WalMart isn't all bad, they are trying to fill a need, not everyone can shpo at the big stores.
Well, so much for my rambling; If one doesn't like something don't let the door hit you in the --- on the way out.
mike
And making a helluva profit doing it. Nothing wrong with profits, if properly reinvested they are what makes a company worth something, and if reinvested into your employees will quite often pay out in ways that cannot be measured.

But unfortunately WM uses questionable tactics in getting their profits, some would consider them to border on illegal. Remember The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #36
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Remember The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company?

Aaron
The A&P?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a&p.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	93664  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 01-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The A&P?
Don't see many of them anymore—I think there are still a few in the northeast. They used to be the dominant supermarket there and maybe elsewhere.

Gene
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I joined to learn the "how-to" of the world of Airstream: how to fix a leak, repair the floor, where can I buy ____, etc.

. WalMart isn't all bad, they are trying to fill a need, not everyone can shop at the big stores. Well, so much for my rambling; If one doesn't like something don't let the door hit you in the --- on the way out.
mike

Wal-Mart is a monopoly accounting for a high percentage of ALL U.S. retail spending. It has driven countless small businesses to bankruptcy, gamed the tax system, failed to pay a living wage . . it never ends. Wal-Mart IS "all bad" by any reasonable accounting. Sam Walton was as much a parasite as his creation. Believing otherwise ignores ordinary accessible facts. No other retail operation or combination of retail operations can exert the kind of pressure that has changed the entire face of retailing in this country. No store you enter remains untouched by this. None. The others, be it Home Depot or Bed&Bath, just copy the model to drive the locals out, and that was the money that stayed in your town or city. That educated their children, trained others in business, kept tax revenues normal, and paid a decent or very good wage.

The only reason Target and a few others remain in business is collusion to avoid the appearance of monopoly. Maybe the fact that American worker wages peaked in 1972 and American wives all had to go to work as fixed expenses rose to maintain a middle class life, and the expansion of cheap unsecured credit (cards) that everyone now has (but few had or needed in 1972) at usurious rates has muddied the picture. Americans have lower paying jobs (despite longer hours and fewer benefits), pay higher taxes (at every level, open and hidden), and have seen actual honest-to-God competition thrown out the door when it comes to how their money will be spent.

If you have less to spend, then what choice is there but bottom-feeder stores? And there is no other choice in most of America any more.

Of course stuff at Wal-Mart has gotten crappier. A monopoly would be insane to act differently.

And it's your job to buy the same thing more often. With less disposable income.

Bash Wal-Mart? Why not? It's but the best symbol of all that's wrong in ordinary Americanus-consumerus life: Declining quality, with no real competition to force innovation and performance (the Airstream problem) as real wages continue stagnant or declining.

Guaranteeing the profit of the Walton clan is now your birthright as an American.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #39
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I have been looking around for winch for the front of my truck. I have looked at Warn and some other off market brands. One dealer tried to sell me a chinese made no name winch with the ratings I was looking for. Half the price of the Warn. I sent Warn and email asking why thier winches cost so much. Several reasons. One: They are assembled by Americans in Oregon. Two: While they do not make all their parts("Global economy"), they do test and higher standards then no names. Three: It does not have to shipped thousands of miles to get to me. (I live in the Northwest). The Warn is on the list for March.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #40
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The A&P?
That is the one...or should I say what is left of them...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
I am not a defender of WM by any means..However, they are a public company, trading on the exchange. Several employees at our nearby store are enrolled in their stock sharing program. These are not exec. types, average folks who's positions were doing quite well, until the markets tanked.(wm held better than average in the down turn, and recovering). I remember the blue light specials, when K Mart was the big cheese. ( Km is dying) My present wife, who worked for a bankrupt firm for 34 years; also a profit sharing participate, receives a whopping $124.00 a month, from the G insured pension fund. I could be wrong, but wasn't the tea-bag company a privately held corp. I will have to admit,a few days ago, I did buy a set of Michelin (us made) tires from WM.(good price) Let's bash Air Stream for awhile, we at least learn some things useful. Cheers Mel
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #42
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That is the one...or should I say what is left of them...

Aaron
Hey, I used to work for those guys. I started out at $2.82 an hour way back in the early '70's. My first "real" job. Didn't take me long to figure out that "this is not a career". So I joined the Army instead. Made much better money there. I think it was about $475 a month, three cots and a hot. Or was it three hots and a cot? They also provided me with me with some really cool clothes and lots of toys that went BOOM!

Ah, those were the days.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Closed Thread