Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
Wally Byam Caravan Plaque-

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what this was from? The trailer has a lot of painted places its been, and the name "Happi Daze" on the side. My guy said he didn't know and didn't care, but I'm curious if it had any significance. Thank you in advance! EZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01288.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	59795  
EllieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you should drill that off and send it to me right away... he is right it is very insignificant and should be removed before it decreases the value
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
No! Send it to ME! Serously, that is a piece of history right there and should be preserved. That is a caravan plaque and is an historic piece of your trailer. Can you send a picture of the places it has been - the painted thing you were talking about?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Check out this thread for more information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ker-10185.html

Doug
Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
Nice thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser
Check out this thread for more information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ker-10185.html

Doug
Thanks for sharing it. Looks like this one has too many KM's on it, we'll send it to the scrapper...

Its a 1956, so I guess it went somewhere, no color left on the plate....
Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieZ
Thanks for sharing it. Looks like this one has too many KM's on it, we'll send it to the scrapper...

Its a 1956, so I guess it went somewhere, no color left on the plate....
Yeah, I'd scrap it too.

Since I'm just around the corner and on my way to the scrapper anyway. I'll just swing by and take it there for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally Byam Caravan Tag, Front and Rear

This is an original.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFRICA 1959 (365) a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	59850  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It is such a good thing you caught that when you did. Surprisingly most people do not know that if left on their Airstream the rest of the trailer starts to rot and fall apart. Your insurance rates will get sky high, and worst of all, your tow vehicle will start to fail you whenever you have the trailer hooked up.

This also goes for the aluminum with the painted names on it. If you do try to remove those names from that aluminum by any means, or even to cover them up, your hair will start falling out. All of it. On both of you. You will, of course, grow a third ear which is really a bugger when trying to pick earing's to wear each day although it does make wearing glasses interesting.

Your only hope of redemption I'm afraid is to have someone in a foreign country assume the risk on your behalf and take possession of those artifacts. You should probably drill the rivets out on the caravan plate first and get it the heck away from you asap - I'll PM you an address you can courier it to and that person will even pay the freight just to help you out.

Then, drill the rivets out on the aluminum siding that has all the names/destinations painted on it, wrap it carefully in the materials I'll have dropped off at your home, and ship it out of there. The sooner the better for all your sakes. Again, same destination and the courier will be on high alert. We wouldn't want any harm to come to you just because you picked up this trailer with these afflictions, now would we. As caring fellow 'streamers, way up here in Canada, we have ways to mitigate the potential risks associated with these rare occurrences on Airstreams.

For anyone else who also has the same rare affliction please PM me and I'll get the shipping info off to you as well.

And DO NOT BE FOOLED by folks pretending to be locals out to help you out. It is sad when you just don't know who you can trust. It's a good thing you have folks like me here to take care of you.

Barry (always willing to help out a fellow 'streamer)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Listen up all you all...I was first here, I have first dibs and that it that. Here I go, trying to help and you all are trying to get this plaque from her... the shame... has no one ever played on a school play ground? First dibs is first dibs! You all are trying to violate the rules of first dibs...

EllieZ, If you haven't realized, that plaque, well, it is worth a lot. Do not part with it wantonly. If you are getting rid of it, I was first to respond and would love a chance at purchase it. The names and locations are a piece of club history and I hope you will preserve it. Congrates on a super find.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what this was from? The trailer has a lot of painted places its been, and the name "Happi Daze" on the side. My guy said he didn't know and didn't care, but I'm curious if it had any significance. Thank you in advance! EZ
I am trying to research all of the trailers that were on the famous Caravans of the past, mainly the 1959-60 Capetown to Cairo and 1963-64 Around the World Caravan's. Painting locations visited on the trailer was a common practice back then. It's a long shot, but your trailer might have been on the Capetown Caravan (but it's too old for the other one). Or maybe it was on another famous caravan, like the one to Europe in 1956. Can you tell us what locations are painted on the trailer and possibly better yet post a photo or two of that writing? Are there ghosts of WBCCI numbers on the front or rear? That number would help identify if yours is a famous trailer or not. Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Drill it

If you drill it, send it to Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply and he'll use yours to reproduce this plaque and send you yours plus a new one back.....that way we could all bring back this cool piece when we go Caravanning together. I know many people want one for their trailer.Rob - streaming out in Assateague State Park where the weather is great! - until Thursday then heading for home.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Listen up all you all...I was first here, I have first dibs and that it that. Here I go, trying to help and you all are trying to get this plaque from her... the shame... has no one ever played on a school play ground? First dibs is first dibs! You all are trying to violate the rules of first dibs...

EllieZ, If you haven't realized, that plaque, well, it is worth a lot. Do not part with it wantonly. If you are getting rid of it, I was first to respond and would love a chance at purchase it. The names and locations are a piece of club history and I hope you will preserve it. Congrates on a super find.

Pashaw!

You'll only take the plaque and Barry will only take the plaque and a panal.

I was the only one nice enough to take the whole trailer!

EllieZ, You clearly have a trailer with a ton of history. Preserve it and enjoy it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
If you drill it, send it to Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply and he'll use yours to reproduce this plaque and send you yours plus a new one back.....that way we could all bring back this cool piece when we go Caravanning together. I know many people want one for their trailer.Rob - streaming out in Assateague State Park where the weather is great! - until Thursday then heading for home.
Actually Rob- He could send it to me and I can have it reproduced is 10 days or less. I can have Dale send me the correct color. Of course we would then end up flooding the market with "original antique reproductions" of the plate. We have the aluminum in stock and probably to correct color which I believe was a PMS-185 but Dale could confirm that fore me.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I hope everyone realizes that my reply was posted in jest, never believing for one minute that anyone would take my response seriously. From reading the posts prior to mine I got the impression that most of the comments from my fellow Forums members were just us kids playing around. I for one never believed that EllieZ would consider parting out a trailer with that heritage to go with it.

I would love to see EllieZ keep it and enjoy it but if that is not in the cards then it would be nice to see it pass on to another Airstream lover who wants to retain the painted names and plaque. Certainly there are those who would like to own it but that is up to EllieZ to decide and how best to part with it should that be their choice.

As for making reproductions of the Caravan plaque itself I would hope that if this is ever done there is some obvious way to ensure reproduction cannot be mistaken for an original. Can you imagine eBay and the trailers that will show up there with "an original WB Caravan trailer" as identified by the unique plaque blah, blah, blah. Also, those plaques were "earned" by the folks who had the mental, physical and financial fortitude to participate in a caravan. IMHO that uniqueness should stay with the trailer that earned it and is, overall, part of that trailers unique value over another that was used as a weekend warrior.

Great find EllieZ. It is always fun to know another piece of Airstream history has been found.

Barry
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I've heard these were used along with the numbers to identify the trailers in caravans. They came in two colors--red and blue (I don't know what the symbolism was for). I've never seen these as a metal plate, but our trailer had a red sticker of the same design ghosted on the rear window when we got it--so faintly, I only noticed it after I examined pieces of glass that broke when I repaired its seals.

BTW--Vintage Trailer Supply used to sell the stickers years ago--back when they were Airstream Dreams. I'm hoping he makes more and sells them again...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
Unique-

I'd get my guy to take it off and get a pattern made for dupes, only if they were made with a noticeable change that one could differentiate the real from repro.

I don't think that it becomes more valuable as a trailer, just because its been places- thats what they were made for, someone got a LOT of use from this one, and it shows. I can see where it was lifted with a set of those slings onto a ship from underneath. We try and keep ours nice, and make them nicer when we own them. Traveling is obviously tough on them, we have to take that into consideration with what we restore to hit the road with and what stays in storage for collecting. We enjoy the Flying Cloud much more, because we don't have to watch it so carefully, worry about a scratch here and there, its not perfect, so less stress over the body and shine.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
I'd get my guy to take it off and get a pattern made for dupes, only if they were made with a noticeable change that one could differentiate the real from repro.

I don't think that it becomes more valuable as a trailer, just because its been places- thats what they were made for, someone got a LOT of use from this one, and it shows. I can see where it was lifted with a set of those slings onto a ship from underneath. We try and keep ours nice, and make them nicer when we own them. Traveling is obviously tough on them, we have to take that into consideration with what we restore to hit the road with and what stays in storage for collecting. We enjoy the Flying Cloud much more, because we don't have to watch it so carefully, worry about a scratch here and there, its not perfect, so less stress over the body and shine.
I can relate to the Flying Cloud statement. The same with ours. We love it, we use the heck out of it. It gets bumped around and has gained a few more visible memories under our ownership. It is all just part of the fun of owning these trailers. I don't abuse it, but I sure use it.

I was thinking I'd paint a whole bunch of names on mine just for laughs. It could be fun - I was thinking of names of my fellow Forums members (their Avatars of course). That would be fun although kind of tough to polish around.

Barry
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:

Now I really want to know what countries are listed on the trailer. The sling marks would indicate that it has been oversea's.

And you are wrong, where it has been does add value. I would love to personally find, own, and restore a trailer that was on one of those two great caravan's, or even one of the less famous one's like the one to Europe. I recently missed an opportunity on one such trailer. That said, condition still plays a big factor on value. History of travel add's to value a bit, but condition is still the main factor.

But that said, my main interest at the moment is not obtaining one, it is merely documenting all of the remaining survivors. Even if you cannot be convinced to save this particular trailer, I would like to know what the WBCCI number is (the big numbers on the front and back, likely 3 digit or 4 digit, but could be 2 digit or even 1 digit) and what countries are listed on it, so that at least I can document it as one that was destoryed and no longer exists (if it turns out to be an actual trailer from one of those caravan's).

Please provide this information. Puhleeeeessseeee!

Thanks!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Red yes, blue I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I've heard these were used along with the numbers to identify the trailers in caravans. They came in two colors--red and blue (I don't know what the symbolism was for). I've never seen these as a metal plate, but our trailer had a red sticker of the same design ghosted on the rear window when we got it--so faintly, I only noticed it after I examined pieces of glass that broke when I repaired its seals.

BTW--Vintage Trailer Supply used to sell the stickers years ago--back when they were Airstream Dreams. I'm hoping he makes more and sells them again...
I have never seen any but red and silver...blue I have only heard about on the forum.

Pee Wee
Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Actually Rob- He could send it to me and I can have it reproduced is 10 days or less. I can have Dale send me the correct color. Of course we would then end up flooding the market with "original antique reproductions" of the plate. We have the aluminum in stock and probably to correct color which I believe was a PMS-185 but Dale could confirm that fore me.
PMS, I wonder?