Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
I would check the classifieds here, Craigs List and the RV trader for a $10,000 Airstream or Argosy. It certainly won't be new. But 14 years ago, I spent $10,000 on my '86 Argosy and it has been a super trailer. If they look, maybe they can find something they like.

D*

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Before we had our Airstream, we had a 27' "Award" trailer. It is a British design that was also built in Canada until about 1995 I think. Ours was a 1993.

We bought it in 1998 and owned it until 3 years ago when we bought the Airstream and were extremely happy with it.

Sold the Award to a chap from Oklahoma City who bought it sight unseen and came up hear to Ontario to collect it - he knew about them and had place to work on it !

It was ahead of its time in being extremely light weight and streamlined, our 27 footer had a light weight of about 3900 pounds and we towed it with eae using a Safari Minivan across the breadth of the US each winter with ease at 70 - 75 mph plus.

very nicely fitted out inside, quite similar to an Airstream and more suited to a couple than a family due to the nice interior finish I would say.

They do however suffer from water leaks, delamination of the fibreglass and floor rot if not kept well sealed.

If you could find a nice one without water damage it would be a great buy and within the budget you mention.

We sold ours only because it had water damage and I had no place to work on it myself so it was becoming a money pit - we really liked it though.

Most common size is probably 30' and if you can find a nice one t would be within budget.

This is what they look like

Welcome to Award Recreational Vehicles

But this website is out of date - you can't buy a new one any more.

The company initially closed down in the mid nineties when a union tried to organize the workforce.

Later, some of the management people started up again on a small basis making trailers only to order for about $70k Can. or so. They made a few dozen a year.

Once the Canadian dollar came up close to the US dollar - or higher - they couldn't make a go of it since most of their sales had been going to the US.

They are still in business, but only just, and surviving on restoration / repair work with just a few employees in Dunnville Ontario not far from our home.

We are happy enough with our Airstream, but all things considered, I'm not sure I didn't prefer the Award! It sure served us well, towed great and was very comfortable. It got comments, compliments, and questions wherever we went with it!

There is still an active forum on Yahoo.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Why you !$#%! , such a thought gives me intestinal discomfort , I guess I picked a bad day to quit drinking , because the thought makes me need an adult beverage of my choice .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Makes sense to me. I am sorta partial to Jayco.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
No on ever says..."Oh look! There's another Jayco!" (Do they?)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
DKB, two questions come to mind: Are they going to tow it that much (or will it get parked and then lived in)? Second, do they want to keep it once they're done?

This runs counter to lots of the advice above - I think that if your sister's goals are to find something to park and live in, and then basically dispose when finished, focusing on buying something near new and reasonably constructed (if not exactly built to last) would do the trick. Yes, many modern SOBs are disposable and less-than-awesome to tow - but that might actually fit the bill here. The goal isn't to be stylish, or last for years and years and years. Of course, that assumes it's good enough to be comfortable for those two years...

I'm just thinking of the last RV show I went to, with all of the long trailers with 3 flat-screen TVs that were priced at $15,999 - with the slack economy/end of the season, you'd think there would be a decent range of stuff out there...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I can't swear to their SOB's, but Forest River does seem to have a decent rep.. We have a R-Pod 177 by them, not what your friends need, but it seems very well built and no complaints from us yet. It is aluminum framed..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Some friends have a super light SOB from Earthbund that they're really happy with. I have noticed that it spends a lot of time in the shop. Or, maybe they just use that as an excuse to not travel with us.
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie
Some friends have a super light SOB from Earthbund that they're really happy with. I have noticed that it spends a lot of time in the shop. Or, maybe they just use that as an excuse to not travel with us.
I can't imagine anyone looking for excuses to avoid traveling with y'all, unless they're afraid you're going to pressure them into ziplining our something. I think my sister's budget falls a bit short of Earthbound, but they look nice. Esp. the modern interiors.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If ya gotta move to a SOB...don't worry to much about the decal on the side...look at the construction...'stick and staple' construction looks really good from the price but it will probably de-compose around you (I know, I have one!). I suggest looking for Aluminum structure. I had a Holiday that was built in the late '80's and realllllly liked it. We have non-descript toy hauler at work with the same construction and it's been good so-far.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
About a month ago at a campground, a couple showed me their 2008 or 09 28 ft front kitchen Vlite of some kind. I think the parent company was Forest River and I was impressed by the trailer. It had a single slide, had a nice design, ducted ac in the ceiling and aluminum structure I believe. I will post more info on it tomorrow. I think I have a brochure some place.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
If ya gotta move to a SOB...don't worry to much about the decal on the side...look at the construction...'stick and staple' construction looks really good from the price but it will probably de-compose around you (I know, I have one!). I suggest looking for Aluminum structure. I had a Holiday that was built in the late '80's and realllllly liked it. We have non-descript toy hauler at work with the same construction and it's been good so-far.
That's definitely turning out to be the common thread among the recommendations... they all have aluminum frames. I wasn't aware that there were several white-box manufactuers using aluminum frames instead of stick-frame, so I'll definitely steer my sister that way if I can't get her to go for aluminum skin.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
DKB, two questions come to mind: Are they going to tow it that much (or will it get parked and then lived in)? Second, do they want to keep it once they're done?

This runs counter to lots of the advice above - I think that if your sister's goals are to find something to park and live in, and then basically dispose when finished, focusing on buying something near new and reasonably constructed (if not exactly built to last) would do the trick. Yes, many modern SOBs are disposable and less-than-awesome to tow - but that might actually fit the bill here. The goal isn't to be stylish, or last for years and years and years. Of course, that assumes it's good enough to be comfortable for those two years...

I'm just thinking of the last RV show I went to, with all of the long trailers with 3 flat-screen TVs that were priced at $15,999 - with the slack economy/end of the season, you'd think there would be a decent range of stuff out there...

Tom
I realize I'm a nerd when one of my first thoughts was "Wow, 3 good flat-screens would cost more than 10% of the total price!"

They will definitely be parked the vast majority of the time. I didn't realize that crappy new big trailers could be had that cheap, I was thinking on the order of 2x that for the cheapest ones. It's an approach to consider.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Another quality trailer is the Sunnybrook, that was my second choice. It was up with the Big foot, but they had been discontinued. You might also consider the Jayco Designer series.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
About a month ago at a campground, a couple showed me their 2008 or 09 28 ft front kitchen Vlite of some kind. I think the parent company was Forest River and I was impressed by the trailer. It had a single slide, had a nice design, ducted ac in the ceiling and aluminum structure I believe. I will post more info on it tomorrow. I think I have a brochure some place.

Dan
Dan, would you believe those are rebranded Windjammers? The 28 is very close to the one I posted a link to.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I'd be more concerned about the rubber roof. Unless you have the cash, you'll be dropping $5,000 on top of your monthly payment in 5 years to replace that EDPM.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I'd be more concerned about the rubber roof. Unless you have the cash, you'll be dropping $5,000 on top of your monthly payment in 5 years to replace that EDPM.
Depending on the roof, it's usually about 2/3 that amount. Still a chunk of cash, though.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
No on ever says..."Oh look! There's another Jayco!" (Do they?)
yes, if you are towing a jayco and you pass someone else towing a jayco same as air
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
you can buy a rubber replacement for less than $500.00 not hard to install. care and cleaning you can get 20 years out of a rubber roof. even $500,000.00 motor homes have rubber roofs.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Overlander63

Gosh, you learn something everyday on this forum. I was so impressed with the layout of the V-Lite by Forest River for that 28 footer with the front kitchen. I was surprised when I looked at the current models that they no longer have that size/layout. Oh well, I liked the layout but no one else did. Anyhow, I am puzzled by the construction details. They say the walls, ceiling and floor are "vacuum bonded" (whatever that means) and have an aluminum structure. The r values were quite high- like 7 for the walls, 14 for the ceiling and 4 or 5 for the floor. It also has a torsion bar type suspension, similar to what Airstream uses.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote