Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #41
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If they are going to stay put for 2 years or more how about a mobile home? Not much more money but a lot more room. When they are ready to move on, sell it.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Okay, first off, I haven't gone crazy (no moreso than usual, at any rate.) I'm not about to give up my Argosy.

My sister is looking at full-timing. My brother-in-law works in the oil and gas services industry, and they're looking at a LONG project (2+ years) far from where they've been living. My sister is tired of being apart for a week or more at a time, their kids are out on their own and they live in a rental so most of the big downside issues are not a problem.

They want bigger and newer than an Airstream they can afford (they want to pay cash, they'd be happiest with $10k-ish.) They'd like more than 30' long with slide(s), and prefer a bumper-pull because they don't want to jump into the 5th wheel thing right off (they have a capable F150 now and don't want to buy another truck at the same time they're buying a trailer AND relocating.)

Let's not get into aesthetic judgments here, I think they're butt-ugly inside and out, I'm looking for technical input.

What does our Airstream hive mind know about various brands of SOBs? I have heard good things about Arctic Fox, and I've found one a bit above their budget, but it's fairly new and might be worth the financial stretch. It's not all that close to me so I haven't gone to inspect it yet, but I'm likely to be the inspector for most of the ones she considers.

Specifically, I'm looking for known problems, known-good brands/models, known-bad brands/models, and if anyone knows of a cream puff for sale cheap in north TX or east TX I'd love to know about that too.

DKB

Several big Avions for sale in Texas at present. Three decent Silver Streaks as well.

I know they all want slide-outs for this business. Americans and their guts so big that they find it embarrassing to have to manuever around someone else in confined quarters. They seem never to think that they'll be sleeping or sitting about 99.3% of the time.

I'd just look for a generic 26'-30' with a Super Slide (one big slide) with bedrooms at either end. That way there is always the chance of peace and quiet for the one sleeping.

I'd consider the TT to be a throwaway. It won't be hard to re-sell what with all the oilfield workers needing housing. An Arctic Fox, nice as it is, will be as trashed as anything else. Caliche dust is murder.

What does the accountant say? Depreciation, per diem, etc. A corporation to own it is the way to go if possible.

A 5'er might be easiest. Plenty of RV haulers around in this state (and others who can do it with all paperwork & insurance).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #43

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Several big Avions for sale in Texas at present. Three decent Silver Streaks as well.

I know they all want slide-outs for this business. Americans and their guts so big that they find it embarrassing to have to manuever around someone else in confined quarters. They seem never to think that they'll be sleeping or sitting about 99.3% of the time.

I'd just look for a generic 26'-30' with a Super Slide (one big slide) with bedrooms at either end. That way there is always the chance of peace and quiet for the one sleeping.

I'd consider the TT to be a throwaway. It won't be hard to re-sell what with all the oilfield workers needing housing. An Arctic Fox, nice as it is, will be as trashed as anything else. Caliche dust is murder.

What does the accountant say? Depreciation, per diem, etc. A corporation to own it is the way to go if possible.

A 5'er might be easiest. Plenty of RV haulers around in this state (and others who can do it with all paperwork & insurance).

I haven't shown my sister info about any of the 3-axle Avions after her lukewarm response to a great-looking Silver Streak Supreme 3411 that's for sale out of the Houston area... I assume that's one of the ones you referred to, it looks like it's in great shape. If I were going to full-time I'd already have gone to Houston to inspect it, and either offered to buy it or ruled it out. She, on the other hand, does not think the same way.

I think she and her husband are going to look at some used inventory at dealers either around SA or Corpus (he's working in between the two.) She's going down there this week.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My other thought is an AVION 5'er from the early/mid-90's. IIRC quality was considered good. TXICEMAN, a Silver Streak and now an AVION owner had one of these 10-years ago or so. Great guy, PM him if interested. As an engineer and meticulous owner he could walk a person through what to look for.

There's a decent looking one for sale out in West Texas (Clarendon) in the price range you noted. The OAL is good for interior space available.

1992 AVION 5'er

There is nothing down here worth buying unless new or nearly so. The work camps are full (and new ones being built on any piece of land with even the possibility of utility installation). Tell them to check the RV dealership at Mathis (on IH-37) and there are several dealers here in CC if they want the marked-up price.

PPL Consignment in Houston is the site I would study carefully. Tell them to also ask at Camper Capitol in Dallas.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #45

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Thanks for that info. I just knew of ppl for their parts sales online, I'll look into their consignment business, and I can check in person with a place in Dallas.

I'll look into Avion 5ers when I'm on a real computer, just catching up on my phone while I have a minute. I'm not familiar with them.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Here's is exactly what I would look for:

JAYCO: 2-Bed with Super Slide $8300 in Houston

I helped a college student living in one get some work done on it. An adequately spacious layout, and meant to stand up to children.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
DKB:

I pass by Camper Capitol twice a day... anything in particular you are looking for? I'd be glad to stop in and see what's on their lot... their mix is about half and half sobs and Class A's. There is also an RV liquidator about a quarter of a mile east of Camper Capitol but most of their stuff looks like its probably ready for the deer lease.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #48

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
DKB:

I pass by Camper Capitol twice a day... anything in particular you are looking for? I'd be glad to stop in and see what's on their lot... their mix is about half and half sobs and Class A's. There is also an RV liquidator about a quarter of a mile east of Camper Capitol but most of their stuff looks like its probably ready for the deer lease.

Dana
I'm not sure how much better an oil-patch RV park is than a deer lease, if it holds together and is cheap it might be OK at least with my brother-in-law... not so sure about my sister!

They're looking for a trailer with enough room to live in that's got reliable systems. They're enamored of slides for more room. Their kids are adults so they don't need lots of sleeping space, they'd like a queen for the master bed. We've talked about it, and she's willing to modify a "bunk room" kind of space if a great deal comes along with that, but she's not looking for it.

I found out later that she actually likes the big '80s Silver Streak I sent photos of (mentioned earlier in this thread) but I'm not sure if it's a timing issue or just distance to where it is, she's not ready to go look at it.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sage Advice from Jim

Howdy,

Please allow me to give my three cents worth here.....

First, the Silver Avions died out in 1989. That was the last year. Any Avion after '89 is simply the name slapped onto a Fleetwood trailer. The big 5ers that they made in the mid 90's weren't true Avions; they were essentially built like a Prowler but had the Avion name put on them.

Avion was a great company. The triple axle 34 footers (which are actually 35'-11" long bumper to ball and have a 34' box) are nice trailers. They are built very well; better IMO than Airstream. I have an '87 and like it immensely. You will be hard pressed to find a nice one for $10K though. I wouldn't dream of selling mine for that....

As has been said above, avoid the wooden framed trailers like the plague. My dad has owned three of them, and all three rotted out. The junky siding they use combined with the EPDM roof never seals right, and so you nearly always get a leak at the juncture of roof to side (or front or rear). The framework then rots out and it indeed does dissolve around you.

You want one with an aluminum frame.

Dad finally wound up getting a Holiday Rambler 5er. It's a 1999 31 footer. As I understand it, '99 was the last year of the fiberglass roof. His trailer has a steel chassis, aluminum side and roof framing, fiberglass sheeting for the sides and the roof, and the roof and sides are glassed together. HR stopped this construction somewhere around 2000 because it was too expensive and went to the rubber roof. But if you could find a late 90's trailer with this roof, you would be very happy.

Not only the HR Aluma-Lites were made this way, but also the Presidential. They are the same structurally; the Presidential is just outfitted more nicely. Dad's is whatever the precursor to the Presidential was called. I forget the exact model, but it's a notch fancier than the AlumaLite. However, they are, again, structurally the same.

A friend of my dad's recently came across The Deal Of The Century. Well, it was two years ago...but he bought a 2002 Carriage 37 foot 5th wheel with at least three slides for $12K. Owner even gave him a $1500 hitch with it. Deals like that are out there.

In all honesty, for what your relatives want, I wouldn't even consider a travel trailer. Wee on that. Go find a whale of a deal on a nice big 5er that is built well (like a Carriage) and get that. Pay a guy with a 1-ton truck to haul it to wherever they want to set it up and go from there.

As you said, they are not camping, they are living. The thing will not be moved from week to week. I'd find a good deal on a monster of a big roomy 5er and get that. They can always unload the 150 for a 450 later on.

My friend's Carriage is REALLY nice. It easily has triple the room of my Avion. Easily. And as much as like my Avion, with my family of four even it gets small after a week. Though, it would probably be just fine for two.

Anyway, as you've said, you won't go wrong with any of the silver trailers. If I got an Airstream or an Avion, I wouldn't even consider anything less than a 34 footer. However, I maintain they'd be better off with a monster 5er.

At any rate, best of luck in your search.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I believe at one point, Sunnybrook was aluminum framed. No idea now though. But, truly believe, if this is something that your sister and bro-in-law are just going to live in, and probably sell after 2 plus years of living in, I'd seriously start looking at mobile homes. More bang for your buck. But, if this is something that they think they may want to camp in later, yes, aluminum frame all the way.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
hate to jump in here late but this thread summed up my delema exactly. Having looked at couple AS in the area and seeing several double and triple slide SOB units like the jayco eagle and rockwood windjammer units make it hard to fall in love with an airstream. I know there are AS with slider but so far have not been able to tour one.

Was hoping to attend aluminafest in Charlotte this year but other engagements have us going in other directions that weekend.

We are hoping to stop by the AS dealer in Greensboro to see what is going on and have a chance to see some of the newer unit they have.

have to say when comparing SOB's to AS in usable space the SOB are in the lead for same length..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #52

1974 31' Sovereign
Black Mt , North Carolina
SOB? That sounds unpleasant
ineedair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #53

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
hate to jump in here late but this thread summed up my delema exactly. Having looked at couple AS in the area and seeing several double and triple slide SOB units like the jayco eagle and rockwood windjammer units make it hard to fall in love with an airstream. I know there are AS with slider but so far have not been able to tour one.

Was hoping to attend aluminafest in Charlotte this year but other engagements have us going in other directions that weekend.

We are hoping to stop by the AS dealer in Greensboro to see what is going on and have a chance to see some of the newer unit they have.

have to say when comparing SOB's to AS in usable space the SOB are in the lead for same length..
I was busy camping in my 38-year-old Argosy when you posted.

There are tradeoffs when you look at RVs. Big ones are heavy, light ones tend to be smaller with less room and amenities, stick-frame ones rot, etc. What wins the numbers game depends on which numbers you decide are important to you.

Have a look at Airstreams and other trailers. Try to find a "buddy rally" thrown by a fun unit to attend and check out the social aspects of our cult...er...club.