Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
We take our Airstream up skiing every weekend. One weekend temps dipped below minus four degrees. Guess who was knocking on our door for help because their rig was frozen up? Our Arctic Fox neighbor....(and not just one neighbor).

{blog}Just 5 More Minutes to Enjoy Non-Stop Outdoor Adventures and Culinary Discoveries in the Northwest with our Airstream ★Blogger for
J5MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
You asked!

Hi, I know an SOB is all some people can afford, or are willing to pay for. Many people do just fine with an SOB too. Here is my point of view from your question; An SOB [Square Ole Box] is a sail waiting to be blown over, so a 30' sail would be too much for any half ton. [my opinion] Even with an Airstream, I think 25' should be the limit with a half ton SUV or truck. [once again this is my opinion] Get a bigger truck or a smaller trailer. Pick whatever brand of truck or trailer that you like, it's your money.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #17

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX

Heheh... yeah, I said pretty much the same thing. I'd rather be a bit crowded in the Airstream I can afford than have lots of creaky/leaky room. I found a 3-axle Avion that's at the top of her price range and older than she wants to consider, maybe I'll get her to look at it. I have an friend who's an Avion aficionado with a 3/4 ton Dodge who'd move it for her, then she can deal with the truck issue later. I'll tell her I'm not the only one whose first reaction was "Run away!"
We can vouch for Avion. Aluminum ribs like Airstream but with spray foam insulation between the skins and an anodized exterior shell.

Bigfoot is another quality marque but I don't think they come any bigger than 25' IIRC.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
One thing about Holidy Ramblers, they are really expensive and are popular with the older crowd. There seem to be some really, really well taken-care of ones around at affordable prices because they are older. I would much rather have an airstream, but they are some very nice SOBs.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Washougal , Washington
PM me if you want more info about AF

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
...many of us have had other brands before/in addition to Airstreams.
Just because I'm dreaming about shiny aluminum trailers doesn't mean that I don't like what I currently have. (2000 Arctic Fox 26J)

Shoot me your questions and I'll try to help offline since it seems to be of high controversy here...
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #20
2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
This is just my humble opinion but does she really want to invest that much money in a white box that will start losing money the day she moves in. Wouldn’t it be better to buy an Airstream and get most of your money back when you sell it. Cheers, AP
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
I would check the classifieds here, Craigs List and the RV trader for a $10,000 Airstream or Argosy. It certainly won't be new. But 14 years ago, I spent $10,000 on my '86 Argosy and it has been a super trailer. If they look, maybe they can find something they like.

Life is too short. Do it NOW!!!
The Don Pod

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Before we had our Airstream, we had a 27' "Award" trailer. It is a British design that was also built in Canada until about 1995 I think. Ours was a 1993.

We bought it in 1998 and owned it until 3 years ago when we bought the Airstream and were extremely happy with it.

Sold the Award to a chap from Oklahoma City who bought it sight unseen and came up hear to Ontario to collect it - he knew about them and had place to work on it !

It was ahead of its time in being extremely light weight and streamlined, our 27 footer had a light weight of about 3900 pounds and we towed it with eae using a Safari Minivan across the breadth of the US each winter with ease at 70 - 75 mph plus.

very nicely fitted out inside, quite similar to an Airstream and more suited to a couple than a family due to the nice interior finish I would say.

They do however suffer from water leaks, delamination of the fibreglass and floor rot if not kept well sealed.

If you could find a nice one without water damage it would be a great buy and within the budget you mention.

We sold ours only because it had water damage and I had no place to work on it myself so it was becoming a money pit - we really liked it though.

Most common size is probably 30' and if you can find a nice one t would be within budget.

This is what they look like

Welcome to Award Recreational Vehicles

But this website is out of date - you can't buy a new one any more.

The company initially closed down in the mid nineties when a union tried to organize the workforce.

Later, some of the management people started up again on a small basis making trailers only to order for about $70k Can. or so. They made a few dozen a year.

Once the Canadian dollar came up close to the US dollar - or higher - they couldn't make a go of it since most of their sales had been going to the US.

They are still in business, but only just, and surviving on restoration / repair work with just a few employees in Dunnville Ontario not far from our home.

We are happy enough with our Airstream, but all things considered, I'm not sure I didn't prefer the Award! It sure served us well, towed great and was very comfortable. It got comments, compliments, and questions wherever we went with it!

There is still an active forum on Yahoo.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Why you !$#%! , such a thought gives me intestinal discomfort , I guess I picked a bad day to quit drinking , because the thought makes me need an adult beverage of my choice .
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Makes sense to me. I am sorta partial to Jayco.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
No on ever says..."Oh look! There's another Jayco!" (Do they?)
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
DKB, two questions come to mind: Are they going to tow it that much (or will it get parked and then lived in)? Second, do they want to keep it once they're done?

This runs counter to lots of the advice above - I think that if your sister's goals are to find something to park and live in, and then basically dispose when finished, focusing on buying something near new and reasonably constructed (if not exactly built to last) would do the trick. Yes, many modern SOBs are disposable and less-than-awesome to tow - but that might actually fit the bill here. The goal isn't to be stylish, or last for years and years and years. Of course, that assumes it's good enough to be comfortable for those two years...

I'm just thinking of the last RV show I went to, with all of the long trailers with 3 flat-screen TVs that were priced at $15,999 - with the slack economy/end of the season, you'd think there would be a decent range of stuff out there...

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I can't swear to their SOB's, but Forest River does seem to have a decent rep.. We have a R-Pod 177 by them, not what your friends need, but it seems very well built and no complaints from us yet. It is aluminum framed..
See our blog here on how two RV/AS rookies tackle a 1979 Sovereign resto!!

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Some friends have a super light SOB from Earthbund that they're really happy with. I have noticed that it spends a lot of time in the shop. Or, maybe they just use that as an excuse to not travel with us.

Austin, Texas
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote