Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Veterans Day

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, Armistice Day 1918. The end of the war (WW1) to end all wars. 20 years later WW2 was breaking out in Europe in 1938, the year of my birth. Of course I was not yet aware of it then but my earliest recollections were as a young boy growing up in Detroit. My parents were English and I recall mom and dad boxing up food and clothing to send to their families still living in England. Many families did the same. Some of those packages went to the bottom of the Atlantic in ships sunk by German U-boats. I remember the gas ration stickers pasted to the windshield side of the rear view mirror of our family Chevrolet not to mention some food rationing. (can anyone remember 'coloring' margarine to look like butter?) I remember my parents huddled around the radio when news updates of the war were given and the news reels of the many battles shown between features at the movies. In my junior high school days the accounts of the Korean "Conflict" were a part of many homework assignments. I graduated from high school in 1956 during another kind of war, The Cold War. There was a mandatory draft for all young men 18 and over. I joined several of my friends in not waiting to be called and enlisted in the different services. My friends served but I was classified 4F. My hearing deficiency since birth did not meet military requirements. I did the day long testing and was reasonably confident that I would be soon in Air Force Blues. I must have been visibly disappointed because an AF officer sat me down in his office while he called for potential placements that would accept my disability but it wasn't to be. I started college and found a job that I enjoyed. In 4 years my friends began finishing their service requirements and came home to their schools and future families. None of my friends that I recall was envolved in Viet Nam. I was very disappointed and angry of the treatment our troops recieved at home for fighting in Nam. Then there was Desert Storm and my wife and I were relieved it ended quickly mostly because our son was closing in on his enlistment age. Todd joined the Navy in '94 and was deployed with the Iraq war twice but thankfully he was not in harms way but treated some of the casualties as he is a Navy corpsman. He is now 14 years in the Navy and currently based at Bethesda Navy Hospital. Lynn and I are proud of his service and the service of all our vets. Remember all our vets on Veterans Day and thank them personally when you see them in your daily travels. Today's headlines have shifted to our economic troubles. We have young men and women still in harms way. Take a moment to remember them and support them. OH, what Great Service ALL VETS have done for this Great Country!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washington DC. trip - May 2008 064.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	71156  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Amen.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
FreshAir
Very well said. I do remember the margarine that had the yellow dot (dye) in it you had to pop the dot and mix it all up. I was in the Viet Nam era. Served 6 years in Navy. My first ship was a Troop carrier right out of boot camp. They had unloaded about 2,500 marines after the Cuban Blockade and had to be in San Diego for repairs. The day I got off the troop carrier to go to communications school 2,500 marines were loaded on and they headed for Viet Nam. I ended up on the East Coast on a Destroyer but we did have our tense moments off Cuba and in the Black Sea.
It is too bad the rest of the nation does not give the respect to service men that they deserve whether they are in harms way or working in an office for one of the military services.
Bob
Member Four Corners Unit.
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I would like to thank all my fellow veterans on this day of remembering and celebrating all the great service they have provided. Have a great day and another wonderful year.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
A few years back I got tired of the abuse VN Vets were recieving, and decided to come out of the closet. I now openly display evidence of my service and dare anyone to say anything to my face.

Funny thing. No one does. Instead they walk up to me and say "Thank you for serving my country". Okay, this embarresses me. That's not why I do it.

See, its my country too.

To all you vets. It's your day. Revel in it! You earned it!

UH-1 Helicoptors
34th Aviation Group
Military Assistance Command
Viet Nam, 1965-1966

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My father in law recently passed away and was a member of the Army Air Corps during the second World War. The Committal Service was held today at the National Cemetery in Phoenix. The service included full military honors by members of the local VFW. It was a very moving service as these Veterans paid tribute to one of their comrades and said goodbye one last time. The folding of the flag and it's presentation as well as the 21 gun salute made me proud to have served my country as well.

The number of World War II veterans is getting smaller everyday. If you know one, thank him for their service to our great country. We are free today because of their courage and sacrifice.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
I'm with ya...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post

The number of World War II veterans is getting smaller everyday. If you know one, thank him for their service to our great country. We are free today because of their courage and sacrifice.
My local VFW Post states that we are losing the WW II guys at the rate of over 1,000 per day!

When I got drafted in 1966, I was pretty sure that my time would be 2 years-or less depending on how it turned out. The tour to SE Asia was for a year. I think the Marines did 13 months. Now you veterans or folks currently in the military know that can change. The folks went into WW II "for the duration" which meant that they were to stay until it was over. They had no deros to look forward to.

Anyhow, my utmost admiration is for the World War II vets. My tours to SE Asia were not the most pleasant of times but they did not compare to the Battle of the Bulge, Iwo Jima, or any other of the numerous operations that simply were horrific!

They are the reason I cannot speak German or Japanese today!
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Lifting a toast to vets past and present!

Happy Veterans Day and thanks to all of you for your service!!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Thankfull for Veterans

I am not a veteran, but I have the utmost respect for those who are. Being an educator and having the privilege of saying the Pledge of Allegiance every day gives me the opportunity to reflect upon the sacrifices made. My Grandfather on my Father's side served in the Coast Guard during WWII. He was a great man and indirectly taught me how to appreciate those who serve. Thank You All!!
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
To all my fellow veterans; Thank You, many times over. Also, it makes me proud, and humble, that so many of our youth, have chosen to serve their country, in these trying times.
May God bless you all.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Happy Veterans day to all Veterans. You stood up when many others lay down!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Thanks to all our vets and current service men & women!
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
(can anyone remember 'coloring' margarine to look like butter?)
Neil,

Thank you for starting this thread and expressing so eloquently our thanks to our veterans and their families.

As a naturalized citizen, I try not to take forgranted all of the blessings and freedom I have living in the United States.

My family immigrated from the Philippines in the early seventies. Both my parents were small children during the Japanese occupation of their country and shared some of their memories of that time both good and bad; having nothing to eat but rice mixed with lard, having their farm animals and pets reappropriated by the Japanese soldiers, seeing MacArthur land, reading and hearing about the Bataan death march, and last, but not least, receiving candy from GI's who they would affectionately call, "Joe".

Thank you veterans and all active duty service men and women, because of your service and sacrifice we are blessed to enjoy our freedom. You have our undying gratitude.

Gemma (and Murray)
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I Salute All Our Veterans

This is a special day set aside to show our appreciation to all the MEN and WOMEN that have served our country. I know the sacrifices you and your families have made. This country would not be where it is today without the service you have given to it. My father a WW2 Veteran 85 years old served this country for 33 yrs. Today he lies in a hospital bed. We are praying and confindent he soon will be home. He is one tough man. To him and all those that have served, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. THANK YOU!!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
May God comfort the spirits of my brothers who never made it back home. And look over those who fight the wars of today and tomorrow.

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Thanks Dad's

Thanks to all the Dads that went to war to keep some of us out of it.
Thanks Dad................
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Here Here... Many thanks to all the Vets...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
i 2nd all the great things said about the vets. we have so many freedoms because of their service. thank you also to the famillies that shared their sons and daughters to protect our country. what sacrifices you have made and we are grateful to you .
may God bless america.!!!!!!
transplant
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Greetings, thanks, and well wishes to all my fellow veterans and their families.

Whether we were active, guard, reserve, or coast guard (Just kidding guys :P), our sacrifices have made this country what it is today.

Maybe you served in Europe, Korea, or South East Asia. Perhaps you jumped into Panama, invaded Grenada, kept peace in the Balkans, fought through the streets of Mogadishu, or toppled Saddam's regime (Twice). Some of us never had to serve a combat tour, but we raised our right hand, and swore to something bigger than ourselves (Even if it was involuntary).

All vets have given some....some have given all.

I spent the entire day working, while my wife who is still active duty has enjoyed a four day weekend. While on my two hour drive from my last appoint to the office, I noticed the local VFW having a BBQ. I stopped in and supported them with a burger purchase. I probably could have stayed for hours talking to folks, and everyone was asking me about my clothing (I wear military camo scrubs for my job).

Hope everyone had a good one, and any vets attending any of my rallys can always count on a cold one around the fire (Larry...you left before the fire!)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Medic Trailer flying flags.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	71296  
Old 11-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Thank you one more time...

In France, November the 11th is a commerative day for the armistice in 1918 but it's not , for me, the only day , I think about all these soldiers , dead for my country... i live in the north of France and everywhere I go for my job ( I collect medical waste ), there is always a military cemetery near my road and I always thing they were only 20/ 25 years old and they were here for my freedom ! thank you to all these guys and all vets so I have always wanted to say really thank you to a survivor instead of having only a thought for them ...
and that 's becamen a reality ...
In may, Leïla ( my wife) & I were comen back in USA, Chicago for a congress and we decided to drive on the Route 66 in Illinois ; Arriving at Springfield, ill, we stopped at the SHEA route 66 museum: what a place ( see my blog to find it :AIRSTREAM, HARLEY-DAVIDSON and The American Dream in FRANCE.: CHICAGO, HARLEY et la ROUTE 66 (suite).... ) and an old man , Mr SHEA was the guide...
When we talked him we were from France, he became happy and began to explain us that he were the D-Day in Normandy, France and showed all pictures from there and all the commemorative trips he did as a WW2 veteran.... incredible, he were proud and it was THE place to thank him great !!!!

here is Mister SHEA, you can meet it :

Thank you one more time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2266.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	71311  
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote