Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Vendors input appreciation week.

Hi Forum members; Having my Argosy only for twenty six months, of which two years was restoring it, I am getting more and more confused by the negativity of comments directed at our vendors. What confuses me is not being able to perhaps properly interpret the Forum Rules.
I understand that one cannot use forums space to list products for sale. That belongs in classified section and I understand it. When someone asks where to get a specific part does it mean we should not tell the person where to find it? I think that we should be able to help each other, because we are community of airstreamers. I think that rules and regulations belong solely to Andy R and the moderators which are capable of calling those shots, rather than general membership. Since the forums are not owned by general membership, we need to leave that decision to those to whom it belongs.

Two years ago I was a greenhorn Airstream owner. On the forums however, I found a wealth of information which has helped me enormously in restoration. Being [hands on] kind of guy I still needed the knowledge and the forums is where I found it. It needs to be said here that each of us has different level of knowledge or ability and each of us has his own opinion of how to do things. There are bad way's, good way's and best way's and each of us has the right to think that their way is the best way. The one thing that must be said here, that the experience and knowledge comes with time spent in particular field. Therefore I am inclined to believe that someone with forty years of doing it for living must have learned more than we did restoring one or two Airstreams. I have been in a boat business for over forty years and with plenty of engineering background. I am asked question as well, for which I provide sincere answers not only based on my engineering knowledge but lifetime of experience as well. Most of the times I get thanks, the rest of the time I get arguments because they have the better idea on their own. Why were they seeking my help? It was their need for argument time. If a manufacturer of outboard motors solicits my help perhaps I should just refer them to some of those customers ha ha. I do believe that our vendors deserve better than the arguments they receive in lieu of their time and effort for providing the technical support without asking to be paid for it. This is only my opinion which can be wrong, but I think that their contribution should be appreciated rather than criticized. We need vendors appreciation week. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Boatdoc,

Well said. The vendors who post here on the forum have been of tremendous help to me over the past year, and I appreciate you creating a thread in which I can pass my thanks along to them.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'd like to give a big shout-out and THANK YOU to the non vendors, who gave me tons of valuable information without any expectation of selling me anything.

You know who you are, guys like TomW, and Aerowood, and 59Toaster, and Nickcrowhurst, and Pick, and Canoestream, and 63Overlander, and jcanavera, and John HD, and Janet, and AlanSD, and dozens of others.

You know who you are!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I'd like to give a big shout-out and THANK YOU to the non vendors, who gave me tons of valuable information without any expectation of selling me anything.

You know who you are, guys like TomW, and Aerowood, and 59Toaster, and Nickcrowhurst, and Pick, and Canoestream, and 63Overlander, and jcanavera, and John HD, and Janet, and AlanSD, and dozens of others.

You know who you are!
And guess who they learned things from???

The dealers and vendors, people with backgrounds.

That sort of leaves out K-mart and Walmart stores as a place to get expert information, even though some depend on them.

To some, dealers and vendors are a bunch of "know nothings" until that person REALLY needs help, and then guess who they go to.

Nah, the answer is way to complicated.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I too would like to thank the vendors for their support. We need U guys. I have learn so much for all of the people on AirForums in the past yr. Thanks to all.
A special thanks to ANDY @ Inland for your encouragement, I took on a axle replacement project and I'm 70 yrs old, he personally called me on the phone and said "You can do this,its a piece o cake". IT really was.
THANKS VENDORS
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:

You know who you are!
I'd like to add Zep, PizzaChop, TomW, Aerowood, 59, Nick, Pick, Conoestream, Terry, JohnHD, Janet, AlanSD, Jack, Chuck, some guy named markdoane, AndyR, Gen_Disarry, Stephrobts, and a cast of thousands as WWII.

Lets see, who did I forget?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
.... Lets see, who did I forget?

Jim & Susan

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:

You know who you are!
Hi markdoane;
While I wholeheartedly agree that the vendors are not the only source of input provided to the forums, their input should still be recognized. I am certain that in your life you have been around the block few times to know that in no way you are obligated to purchase anything from any of them. I do not believe that any of them, solicit you directly. If you read about it on the forums in the form of recommendation by replying to the poster and it is of no interest you here is what you do. Click your mouse and move on to another post as I do. The original poster being a member of the forums has as much right to ask a questions as you do, and so does Andy and others to reply. If I was the poster of the question and did not like Andy, I would still appreciate the info that such things are available but maybe buy it elsewhere. If Andy is the only one who has the product, I guess that I would have to bypass my dislike for Andy, and buy it from him, make my own or do without. Those are the choices we have to pick from.

While I recognize and appreciate the valuable input of other members as well, there are often gray areas in information provided. As I have stated earlier, we all have different opinions and different ways of doing things.
Aside of the fact that we may be totally wrong, we still have the right to believe that our way is the best way, just as you do. I, on the other hand like to know in advance how the pro's do it, so that I may compare the ideas and draw my own conclusion to which I am entitled the same way you are to yours. This is not to say that you were ever wrong, but it is your right to believe that is so. One may not have the experience that you do, and asks the questions to which someone beats you to the reply. If this is what is bothering you, you should have given him your choice of Walmart's part number for the vent. To you my opinions may seem wrong, as my way's of doing things, but if you want to see the finest in Argosy, then come see mine. Two years ago I only saw Airsterams from the road.

During the restoration process on my 26' Argosy I have searched for info and parts with many dealers in US. Most of them never even replied to my E-mail. Reason?, they are too busy for the small stuff or to provide info. But, neither Andy and Lewster has ever failed to respond to my questions alone, and I never purchased a single item from either of them. Often replies to posts contain very conflicting views. Who is right and who is wrong, if one does not know the difference? This is why it is nice to find out how the pro's do it. How many other dealers participate in Forums? How many of them will take the time to answer your questions. Maybe you get responses, but I did not. I am in boat business for over forty years, and I do well despite the present state of economy, and there is a reason for that. I concentrate on minding my business instead of spending time criticizing my competition. Criticism has its place in private or PM's rather than on the open forums. You have no right to
dis way anyone by your opinion, from making a purchase from Andy or anyone else. My time is very limited during the peak of the season, but I still take the time to help anyone that asks for it. I do not spend my time down-talking my competition, and yes my advice is still free. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

ThanksTo the Vendors!

For your helpfulness, for your expertise and for your patience. Glad you're here.

(Sorry Hallmark didn't make a vendor appreciation week card)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Yeah, Thank you Inland Andy and everybody else too.

A SPECIAL thanks to mandolin players, for their charm, and the joy that they spread here on the forum, and world wide.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I was self employed most of my working life. I've heard it all, two or three times. Pleasing the public is at times challenging. I finally arrived at the conclusion that the customer was NOT always right. My life became easier.
As a professional that has been there , done that. My hats off to the Vendors. These folks give us their actual experience at no cost.
I tire quickly of the negative posts that some place on this forum, I find that some have NO idea what they are talking about. They just want to waste their time and that of others seeking information to keep their dream alive.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'd like to add to the thanks and mention the long days they put in, swiftly answering questions. i often wonder when these folks sleep!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I also want to thank the vendors and those who have worked through their Airstream problems and restorations and put the discussion up on the board for all of us newbies to figure out how to go about fixing things. I would also like to thank the guys who produce the VAP program. I find it very interesting and informative to listen to while I'm driving down the road. I have owned my trailer since March of 2007 and have been through it from hitch to rear bumper. I hope to create a website someday with all the items that have been refurbished.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote