Old 07-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have heard with the right filtering I can run straight veggie recycled diesel, with no mods using my extra tank. Would like to be sure before I actually try it though, thinking pre-heater is not needed here in hot GA.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
I have heard with the right filtering I can run straight veggie recycled diesel, with no mods using my extra tank. Would like to be sure before I actually try it though, thinking pre-heater is not needed here in hot GA.
I followed a Volkswagen TDI early this evening with a big decal on the rear window stating that his car had been modified to run on veggie diesel. Decal also had a website, but I have fogotten it. Kind of implies that at least some modification may be required.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
try thedieselstop.com

Check out http://www.thedieselstop.com/ , its Ford Diesel-centric and a lot of discussions on biodiesel.
I run B20 in my 97 Ford since I can get it localy through Acord petrolium.
Ive been to chicken to try fryer grease in a $5k motor.

Overall its about 10cents a gallon cheaper, and theres a noticable improvement in HP.

We get our diesels dynoed every year as part of the emmisions test
theres about a 10 HP improvement from when I started running the B20.
Emissions where lower to.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I am running biodiesel in my truck, also. I blend it myself, so concentration varies, I try and keep it between 5-20%. I would not run straight SVO or WVO in an HPCRD.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am still checking. Seems you can run the veggie oil with minor mods, filtering, etc. Will post what I find out if I get this going. Right now too many projects, too little time.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
I've been running "WVO" (waste vegtable oil) in my old 1971 Mercedes Benz 220D for awhile now. I work in a nursing home and get the used oil from the oil dumpster there for free. I filter it though an old blue jean leg with the end tied in a knot, hung over a barrel. I then blend about 20% petrol with it to lower the viscosity, and just dump it in the tank. I always add it to a tank that has about half petro-diesel already in it. I've heard that some people run just this mixture but I havn't tried that yet, I prolly want. The engine actually runs smoother with the WVO than without. I'm not saving alot, but some costs.

Skip Callaham
Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Forgot to add this link, has tons of info on useing oils as fuels

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?t=111689

Enjoy!

Skip Callaham
Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though I don't have a diesel Airstream, I am growing weary that we will ever again see fuel prices go below $2/gallon.

For the past 5 months, I've been actively looking for one of those 5 banger Benz turbo diesels from the 80s. In summer, they can run on straight veggie oil. In winter, if you want to run on SVO (straight veggie oil), you'll need a heater. Bio-diesel is a bit more complicated of a process, but still costs about .80/gallon if you get your oil from your local cashew/kitty place to eat.

Some diesels need no mods to do SVO. The Benz 5 banger is such a beast. I would not however try it in a Duramax.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Twink-would you say the Duramax and 7.3 ford are similair in that respect or??

Skip=so you mix regular diesel fuel with the wvo? Filtered and it works ok, huh? I heard someone locally was doing that and I would like to try, just a bit afraid to jump in and damage the injectors on my 250.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My guess is that they are, but I haven't really done enough research on the Duramax or 7.3. I know that there are kits that can be purchased for either.

I think with a diesel getting nearly 30mpg for a passenger car to start with is great, compared to 12-20mpg, city for cars and some trucks. There alone, just using a diesel as a daily driver, is a big benefit. Finding the right solution to your personal needs is the key.

The most common problem for folks going the alt diesel route that I seem to see being the issue not on the surface is that they can be penny wise and dollar foolish. What I mean by that is that they see a take out place willing to give them 10 gallons a week of WVO, but then there is a time investment and in cold climate, one needs to buy an oil heat system. Then folks hear that bio-diesel is about .80/gal depending on how you get your oil. Where the problem begins is the startup costs once you start to get beyond just filtering the oil and being able to pour it in. After you buy the car or truck, buy the bio gear or heater systems ( heater system kit costs $800 for the Benz) for SVO or WVO and the filtering parts you start to find that you can buy a lot of regualr diesel fuel or regular gas. Unless yer in it for the long haul, depending on how much you drive, the payback in some cases, without the car or truck purchase could be anywhere from 1-3 years for break even.

That is not to say that bio, WVO or SVO is not better than going to the pump, it is.

My fear is that with the computer controlled Duramax and PowerStroke engines, they could (read not will) behave differently than say a dumb engine like the 80's Benz diesels, but again, much more research would have to be done to substantiate that comment. My take is that I see more VW, Volvo, Benz and other older passenger cars and trucks going the SVO, WVO route and more Durmax, PowerStrokes doing the bio-diesel route. Which is just an observation which may or may not mean anything.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so can you add veggie oil to regular diesel and run it say 80-20 or 60-40?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the Benz engine (60s, 70s and up to mid to near late 80s) I've read folks doing all kinds of mixtures. 50/50 (diesel/veggie oil), 70/30, 80/20, 10/90 whatever floats their boat. Also read folks doin' 100% veggie in the summer when it's hot out, but doing mixtures and/or oil heaters in winter with a seperate tank. Again, the bulk of the folks I've read doing this are pre computer managed engines and by no means am I near an expert. Just passing along what I've read so far in my travels into this these past 5 months....your results will most likely vary.

I know I'm planning to start SVO or filtered WVO in a vintage Benz 5 banger when I get the chance....hard to believe, but on of the 1996 SSs is most likely going to be replaced by a 20 year old car that gets triple the gas mileage and hopefully will have exhaust smelling like french fries. .
Old 07-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
ALANSD, I mix about 3 1/2 gallons of WVO and about 1/2 gallon of gasoline or kerosene in a 5 gallon bucket. I then add this to my fuel tank when it's about half empty, I believe my tank is around 18 and a half gallons. I'll run that down to almost empty then I fill up with regular diesel. Then when that's run down to half empty I do the WVO mix again. This might sound strange but I don't want to get to much WVO in there sense I'm not useing any way to heat it. It still makes me feel good that I'm not having to give OPEC all of my money
Old 07-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
so can you add veggie oil to regular diesel and run it say 80-20 or 60-40?
hi alansd and others....

so you are keeping to a discussion of burning veggie oil new or recycled. not biodiesel as markdoane has asked?

there was a very good page in the nytimes july 23.
'grease is the word: fill it up with fry oil' written by jim norman.
good piece if ya can get the text version...
page 14 of the sunday sports section july 23.

discussed his own experience using veggie as the main fuel for a jetta.
lots of good info. mostly a very positive experience.
his car is now labeled...
'volksvegan'

the links included were:

frybird.com
goldenfuelsystems.com
greasecar.com
plantdrive.com
vegistroke.com
vegoilconverversions.netfirm-s.com

he added a small piece on a business guy
who burns veggie in a newer sprinter van.

shouldn't be any engine issues with the 7.3liter power stroke...
i assume you are past the 100k warranty?

what i had not considered but may become an issue...
veg oil is NOT approved for this purpose.
hasn't been certified by the epa...but no one has been arrested yet.
while individual users haven't been targeted,
the makers of conversion kits may be...
and grease car has started the process of getting one of it's kits certified.

my concerns with an older 5c benz....will the seals hold up? how far back did bens start using butyl or siloxane rubber for these bits? also the 5 c benz are pretty sluggish...until the late 80s models. and repairs of other parts (brakes, trans, electronics) were not cheap back then. they still aren't cheap to keep going...

do you live where emissions testing is required? will an old diesel pass regardless of what it burns? is it old enough for an exemption?

why not consider a vw jetta tdi from 2000 or 01.
these are reliable and efficient, will handle veggie and get even better mpgs?
solid cars too. and way more common
that a 20-30 year old merc long since removed from the first wealthy owner....
the jettas did have starter issues during these years but a recall was done i think...

cheers
2air'
just a thought...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote