Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I really hope that's not so Tom... but sadly, I think you're right about the interior. I'd love to see a modern Euro look to the inside... heck, they could rotocast the cabinets at the same time!

Has anyone found more pics of it?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Thanks for the link to the iRV2 forums. Interesting to read the semi-snide comment about "the rounded trailer folks" and aerodynamics. Jealousy?

Tom
Hi, Tom

Just to let you know- that was me talking over at IRV2.
I was being snide, but not about Airstreams...
I was talking about the fiberglass trailer crowd, which in my opinion is the target market for this trailer. If I've heard "aerodynamic superiority" there once, I've heard it a thousand times...
Airstream never crossed my mind when I looked at the "Vantage", especially when the release talked about the "sweetspot" in the market!
I think the "sweetspot" is aging fiberglass RVers that want a few more amenities than typically available, while keeping the same "look".

Francesca
Francesca K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think the only reason it has rounded corners is because it is easier to mold that way. I don't know that for a fact, but it makes sense to me. It doesn't remind me of an Airstream, just another one piece trailer. It is very white.

I thought Keystone was Thor's least reliable brand (sort of like Keystone is Coor's cheap beer).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca K View Post
Just to let you know- that was me talking over at IRV2.
I was being snide, but not about Airstreams...
I was talking about the fiberglass trailer crowd, which in my opinion is the target market for this trailer. If I've heard "aerodynamic superiority" there once, I've heard it a thousand times...
Thanks for coming on and clarifying that, and my apologies for my assumptions.

Quote:
I think the "sweetspot" is aging fiberglass RVers that want a few more amenities than typically available, while keeping the same "look".
That would be an interesting market segment - but is it large enough for Thor to go through all the trouble? I'd also expect that the 17-foot Casita folks who want to upgrade would be more interested in something shorter than the initial prototype - or they would have bought a Bigfoot...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Vantage Interior Pictures

I found these pictures of the interior of the new Vantage.
They are part of a collection of pictures of new trailers.
The Vantage pictures are at the bottom of the page.

I like what I see here. Wonder if this will ever make it to the market?

Vantage - a set on Flickr
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just another Airstream wannabe, or at least that's what it looks like.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
At first glance, it looks like a monorail and a shuttle bus had a baby. No thanks...
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Airstream & Vantage: Competition and Choice

Is it possible the Vantage will siphon off sales of the Airstream, sure. I don't doubt Thor has considered this carefully. It will be interesting to see how the units are priced. Keep in mind the difference between another Airstream wanna be is the financial resources of Thor Industries. It will enable the Vantage to continue long enough to catch on. Thor's existing dealer network in place is an important consideration for its viablilty as well.

Airstreamers, don't be afraid and negative. It is simply an alternative choice for those in the 'looking to buy' stage. Buyers will vote with their dollars. If the Vantage measures up great. Buyers will always benefit from competition and choice.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
I don't doubt Thor has considered this carefully.
I do doubt it. It is a large corporation with many brands and whether they talk to each other cannot be assumed.

But I don't think Airstream has anything to worry about. The Vantage has curves, but doesn't look like an Airstream. If they brought out a low priced composite trailer badged an Airastream, then there would be a problem. That would cheapen the Airstream name and affect the whole line.

It is hard to tell from the photos of the interior just how good or bad it looks. The fabric designs do not impress me and look retro in a way I don't care for. I wondered whether the doors are a door within a door since I saw something that looked like it might be that design.

Gene
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would like to see a picture of the inside with the slide in the travel position. Would there be much room to access the rear of the trailer while traveling down the road?
I spoke with a camper next to me earlier this summer with a brand new trailer with a slide on both sides. They had to open up one slide so they could load the refrigerator. Nice while set up at a campground but not much good for people on the move.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Gotta vent here, I apologize in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSOBs View Post
...looks like a monorail and a shuttle bus had a baby...
Absolutely, and the interior seen in the Flickr photos? Completely forgettable! Padded window valances, yawntastic oak-ish cabinetry... why, oh why give us the same look as every other SOB?

This is the perfect example of a bunch of bean-counters with MBAs - and zero understanding of good design - doing something totally safe while trumpeting that it's cutting edge. There are dozens of impressive, young-thinking designers out there; many in the automotive world, based on the concept cars I've seen. But there are obviously NONE in the RV design world, and nobody had the guts to go outside the *literal* box they've safely stayed inside for decades. This is what a brand new concept looks like? This is what passes for a "game changer"?

Seriously, guys. You can be proud, even brag about it being your newest, lightest, high-tech manufacturing materials model... but the canvas dropcloth unveiling? Absolutely laughable.

Thor has (apparently) learned nothing from the vitality and energy Christopher Deam injected into our brand... and he was restricted to the interior!!

These guys brag that they had a blank slate... and came up with a 1970 Dodge motorhome, without the engine.

My nearly SIXTY YEAR OLD trailer looks more relevant than this egg carton. *Sigh* Whatever, I'll continue to wait until someone can come up with an RV that belongs in the 21st Century. Something actually new. Something to get excited about.

But the DisadVantage ain't it, folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	141056   Click image for larger version

Name:	vantage.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	141057  

Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
LOL Brad. I'm still stuck on this - the most junior designer at IKEA could have made a more modern interior than this one. Picking a basic (not fake granite) laminate or a bright veneer for the cabinets or better fabric wouldn't have cost much more (if any more at all).

That said, the interior is fairly subdued for a modern RV...although everything's relative...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I always liked those DODGE MOTORHOMES.
That was "FORWARD ENGINEERING" at work.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Gotta vent here, I apologize in advance.

These guys brag that they had a blank slate... and came up with a 1970 Dodge motorhome, without the engine.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thor's most advanced thought goes into cutting costs—MBA's at work. Brad is right. They have been at work at Airstream for years cheapening the product.

I've been trying to think of what it looks like—maybe a light rail car. Do they have couplers so you can tow a train of 5 of them down the track?

Gene
Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thor's most advanced thought goes into cutting costs—MBA's at work. Brad is right. They have been at work at Airstream for years cheapening the product.

I've been trying to think of what it looks like—maybe a light rail car. Do they have couplers so you can tow a train of 5 of them down the track?

Gene
It looks like a modern houseboat. Throw a couple engines on there and a bridge on top and you're good to go. You can throw a line around that ugly interior and use it as the anchor.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Completely forgettable! Padded window valances, yawntastic oak-ish cabinetry... why, oh why give us the same look as every other SOB?

This is the perfect example of a bunch of bean-counters with MBAs - and zero understanding of good design - doing something totally safe while trumpeting that it's cutting edge.
For a little bit I was in complete agreement with this post until I realized my 'stream has padded window valances and yawntastic "hickory"-ish cabinetry...plus I am a bean-counter!

Ha!
-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
For a little bit I was in complete agreement with this post until I realized my 'stream has padded window valances and yawntastic "hickory"-ish cabinetry...plus I am a bean-counter!

Ha!
-Chris
LOL! Damn, I just knew I was gonna step on a toe or two. Chris - nothing wrong with either of those things at all! See, in yours... they're part of a traditional, long lineage... cultivated with careful pride over decades by Airstream's design team. Classic window treatments - quality wood cabinetry.

I just feel like - if you tell me you've got a brand new product that's gonna "change" the "game" in a "gamechangey" way... well, we'd better be seeing something pretty far outside the same box we've been lookin' at all along!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
LOL! Damn, I just knew I was gonna step on a toe or two. Chris - nothing wrong with either of those things at all! See, in yours... they're part of a traditional, long lineage... cultivated with careful pride over decades by Airstream's design team. Classic window treatments - quality wood cabinetry.
Ha ha! My wife thinks the inside of our new AS looks like something you'd find in a mobile home park (she liked the interior of the Flying Cloud better). So, after several months of her commentary on interior decor, all my toes were bruised before you jumped on!

For what it is worth, I think this Vantage is quite unappealing...inside and outside. But...to each his own!

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post

Ha!
-Chris
There's a job waiting for you at Thor.

Gene
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
sort of like Keystone is Coor's cheap beer).

Gene
Gene- if you don't want to see this thread hijacked, don't mention "beer" and "Coors" in the same sentence. That's all I'm going to say.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote