Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We used to spend some time in Estes in the '90's and the food did get worse and worse. Still a pretty place, though screwed up by humans.

Living in a small town is a discovery for us since we were both raised in cities and have spent most of our lives in or near them. The few times I hear Prairie Home Companion I notice the descriptions of small town life are quite true, though the dark sides of small town life are not discussed so openly.

Some years ago the owner of a small town Colorado newspaper described a typical rancher's day. First thing was driving his wife to work, then stopping at the town restaurant and sitting at the guy's table where all the ranchers complained about those hippies who wouldn't work while the rancher's drank endless coffee for hours. Then to the grain elevator to complain about grain prices. And so it went on until the rancher picked up his wife from work and drove home where she made dinner for him after his hard day. This column did not go down well, possibly because there was a lot of truth in it. And every small town restaurant does have a table with men sitting around in the morning getting hopped on caffeine and grousing about everything.

Gene
so very very true but i don't think it applies solely to our little towns. i think it applies to americans in general. we don't like to have to look in the mirror. truth can be painful. i would have to say kudos to that author! if more people could see the humor in our collective ridiculousness we would be alot better off. i'm sure the aliens that dropped us off here would agree.
p.s. i love where some of these threads go in the winter....good stuff!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My vintage Airstream in definitely greener than the newer ones. Now if I can just figure out how to wash off all the green stuff growing on it
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
My vintage Airstream in definitely greener than the newer ones. Now if I can just figure out how to wash off all the green stuff growing on it
back it into a pond and buy some sucker fish
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Actually, I like the new topic Aage has introduced, and want him- as moderator- to allow me to now change this thread
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #105
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You are absolutely right, tphan, I did commit grand hijacking! I have deleted the post tho, and promise not to do it again.

Please carry on with your scheduled programming!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I submit all Anglo-Saxon countries are self-righteous and no individual one has a corner on it.
The ones that didn't have empires are usually more self-righteous, but the ones that didn't (or havent) have/had empires are more self-righteous about THAT, so they lose their brownie points anyway.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
The ones that didn't have empires are usually more self-righteous, but the ones that didn't (or havent) have/had empires are more self-righteous about THAT, so they lose their brownie points anyway.

Speaking of brownies, I hope you didn't leave any unattended MJ growing at home. They just conducted a huge grow operation sweep in the metro area and one of the houses busted was in Eire.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

Speaking of brownies, I hope you didn't leave any unattended MJ growing at home. They just conducted a huge grow operation sweep in the metro area and one of the houses busted was in Eire.

Ken
Marijuana secondhand smoke always made me start sneezing and coughing, so I never dared to try smoking it, in case I stopped breathing.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Marijuana secondhand smoke always made me start sneezing and coughing, so I never dared to try smoking it, in case I stopped breathing.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Second hand Marijuana brownies can be pretty gross too.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Well said.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan

Well said.
Cuts both ways, Grasshopper!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Aw, don't get yer belly pan in a knot- just yankin yer chain a wee bit. Hope your trip to Can-Am is going well, and that you have a safe trip back to Boulder County.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
Aw, don't get yer belly pan in a knot- just yankin yer chain a wee bit. Hope your trip to Can-Am is going well, and that you have a safe trip back to Boulder County.
Lol - I was agreeing with you!