Old 01-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #85
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Dude, we have to make you over. Hipsters are more likely slightly grunge metrosexual, and would be found slumming it in o'shay's or cafe Luna or breakfasting at Lucille's.
This is how a hipster dressed in my heyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zoot.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	149500  

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I think that trailers hauled up to Colorado are LESS righteous. You have to burn more fuel to get them all the way to the tops of those mountains, and if you come down to sea level, you have to haul them all the way back up again.

I had a friend take his popup to go hunting in Colorado. He had to stake it like crazy to keep it from flying off. He was really considering an airstream when I showed him some pics of tornados where the airstreams did fine, and the white boxes were crushed all over the place.

Been wanting to go visit, but couldn't buy a whole outfit made out of hemp.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok
Been wanting to go visit, but couldn't buy a whole outfit made out of hemp.
Your priorities are obviously all wrong.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
But you left out the part about how much better the mileage was going down the other side of the mountains. I'm just sayin'.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
But you left out the part about how much better the mileage was going down the other side of the mountains. I'm just sayin'.
I once coasted the entire way from Leadville, Colorado (elevation I don't know what but ridiculously high) to Alligator Butt, Florida. And then, I had to really jam on the brakes. This was in my F-450 triple axle towing my double-wide modular. Coming back, I was continuously hooked up to a gasoline tanker truck, though.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #90
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
This is how a hipster dressed in my heyday.
I've got news for you: that style came back in, but that was so long ago it's out of style again already.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #91

Quote:
Dude, we have to make you over. Hipsters are more likely slightly grunge metrosexual, and would be found slumming it in o'shay's or cafe Luna or breakfasting at Lucille's.
I just looked up Contemporary hipster.

I'm not that either.

I'm pretty sure I'm a "one off culture".

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I just looked up Contemporary hipster.

I'm not that either.

I'm pretty sure I'm a "one off culture".

Ken
So long as Petrie dishes weren't involved...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #93

Unhappy It was a dark and stormy night

Quote:
So long as Petrie dishes weren't involved...
I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things in my life. My culture has to some degree been developed in places less savory than a petri dish. A petri dish at least starts out uncontaminated.

The deep recesses of my mind are a dusty walk-in closet of been there done that T-shirts.

ya think I should I should start writing cheap paperback novels, before the cob webs get so thick that i can no longer find my walk-in closet?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, Crawford is near Paonia. It is often described as a cow town, though as far as I know, no cows actually live there. Some pass through going from winter to summer pasture, or back.

I have a friend who tells me that space aliens also live around here. They are tall and have big heads, he says. I have not seen them so far as I can tell. Interestingly, my friend is named "Ken" just like that space alien in Longmont. My Ken is very tall, though his head doesn't seen abnormally large. He does have very large hands. My friend originally came from Cal. after a big dam flooded his ancestral lands and now prefers to live above the waterline—that's his story anyway.

We have no turkey processing here, though several score turkeys hang out a couple of miles from our house on the way into town. Sometimes one gets "processed" by a speeding truck.

The field the turkeys like is next to a bar called Skooters and Shooters or Shooters and Skooters—I can't remember which is right. The "skooters" are motorcycles; "shooters" are shots. This does not seem like a name that is going to attract a lot business around here, but they seem to be doing ok. I have not been there, but I hear it is pretty safe. I certainly have been in more than my share of sleazy mountain bars, but I guess I just got old.

Businesses in town have not been doing well. A not very good restaurant closed recently and so did the general store. It is strange the not very good restaurant closed because not very good restaurants do well in this county; it is the good ones that close. Someone with a romantic attachment to the concept of a small town general store buys the general store (which includes a motel of sorts and a laundromat) every few years and goes bankrupt after a while, or sells it.

A couple of years ago someone built a convenience store a half mile outside of town (damn suburbanites!) with overpriced gas also. It was on the site of a bar and (bad) pizza joint that burned down. Bad pizza also does well around here. The owner of the convenience store which may have driven the general store out of business is rumored to have bought the general store. We'll see how that works out.

The bar in town bought the liquor store, but that didn't work out. It's been closed for several years now. How can a liquor store not do well in a mountain town?

So the business district is not thriving even though the population of the town keeps increasing. The mayor is not going to run again after 24 years. He wanted to retire 4 years ago, but the only person that wanted to run would have been a really bad choice, so Jim ran again. He's done a good job; being mayor of a small town is a lot harder than many people realize.

We do have an excellent restaurant that opened last spring. I don't know if it will last, but we patronize it as often as we can. Fine dining in a small cow town? Amazing.

I didn't name the town. It was named after some guy who apparently never visited here in the late 19th century. The first settlers came around that time and why they named it after some army guy who may have been well respected or not has been lost to the ages. Local history has been enshrined in two small books written by a women who lived here all her life and was helped by a local writer. I asked him several years ago how he knew the woman's stories were true. He didn't really have an answer for that. Local histories do not usually rely on the same techniques used by professional historians (those historians who advise quasi-governmental agencies are not included in the term "professional historian").

It is very quiet here and the views are incredible. The night sky sparkles with stars. The air is still pretty clear.

There are lots of used RV's around here. They moulder in people's fields. Someone has an Airstream cousin—perhaps a SilverStreak, but I'm not sure. Someone in Paonia has 4 vintage Airstreams and 3 never seem to move. There are a few others sprinkled around the county, most older. There's not much concern around here whether used is virtuous or righteous; used is popular because incomes here, as in much of rural America, are low. So I got back to the OP.

Gene
Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Gene- interesting synopsis of Crawford. I take it you're retired? I spent 34 years in Estes Park, where bad restaurants thrive due to the hunger, and constant turnover, of mostly mid-west tourists. We ate almost exclusively at home, largely on the grille. Here, We can ride bikes to any number of good restaurants when we run out of ideas for dinner, often it's Mexican.
Yeah- the original topic of this thread. I genuinely wanted to hear what others thought of the premise presented to me, whether that premise was serious or a "chain yank". That's because there's an obvious amount of pride on this forum regarding the Airstream brand, with the Vintage crowd sometimes crowing louder, that sometimes could certainly be viewed as smug. I have a vintage AS, I like it a lot, I appreciate it's durable and stylish exterior, and found an old used one reasonably cheap. I went to one AS rally early on, and decided I did not really like the all-the-same-brand clubbiness that it represented. A defect in me, likely- kind of like Woody Allen's distaste for any club that would have him as a member. I like my old AS, and can certainly relate to the pride and affection that comes with the toil of remodeling/restoring one of these things. But- I am aware of the fact that my old AS was brand new once, fresh off the resource-gobbling assembly line, and that my remodel of the decrepit interior entailed even more resource-gobbling. Speaking for myself, and defining righteous (loosely, as in modern vernacular)) as morally or ethically superior, "greener", more pc, etc. I would answer No, a used AS is no more righteous than a new AS, or any other trailer, RV, or MoHo. I do think it's a hell of a lot cooler- looking ,though! Hope to use mine more this season than last, vision and other health quirks permitting. Do it while you're able!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes, I'm retired which means I work hard but don't get paid for it.

Lumping "morally or ethically superior, "greener", more pc," all together confuses the question in my opinion. Greener could be defined objectively and is by a variety of organizations, though they disagree with each other. Moral and ethic superiority is a value judgment less amenable to objective discourse. PC is loaded with so much emotion it gets us nowhere.

But I don't question the intent and such a discussion is worthwhile. It is easy to quibble on language, but at the same time, language is worth quibbling about when it steers us down the wrong road.

Of course, we have gone down some pretty strange byways in this and some other threads lately—but that is what happens in midwinter. When everything that needs to be said in a thread has been said, then we start getting silly and having some fun. We also root out the space aliens and that is useful for the survival of humans. After all, it is possible Earth is a prison planet for space aliens.

I don't think we can do much more than speculate on whether vintage, near new or new are more or less green. But speculation leads to discovery, so that is good. I agree that some Airstream owners are so in love with their trailers they become true believers.

Gene
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
tphan- woody allen may have had a distaste for any club that would have him as a member but he stole the line from groucho marx!! do your research man!....just felt like yankin' the chain sideways a little....interesting comments on estes park i spent some of my childhood there at my grandparents cabin (pre flood) i went back a few years ago and was pretty disgusted with what it had become and the one thing that stood out for me was the abundance of REALLY BAD FOOD!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We used to spend some time in Estes in the '90's and the food did get worse and worse. Still a pretty place, though screwed up by humans.

Living in a small town is a discovery for us since we were both raised in cities and have spent most of our lives in or near them. The few times I hear Prairie Home Companion I notice the descriptions of small town life are quite true, though the dark sides of small town life are not discussed so openly.

Some years ago the owner of a small town Colorado newspaper described a typical rancher's day. First thing was driving his wife to work, then stopping at the town restaurant and sitting at the guy's table where all the ranchers complained about those hippies who wouldn't work while the rancher's drank endless coffee for hours. Then to the grain elevator to complain about grain prices. And so it went on until the rancher picked up his wife from work and drove home where she made dinner for him after his hard day. This column did not go down well, possibly because there was a lot of truth in it. And every small town restaurant does have a table with men sitting around in the morning getting hopped on caffeine and grousing about everything.

Gene