Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Travel is a luxury that really has only been accessible to most people in the last 50 years. It is quite amazing that as much of the world's population can afford it... but really, the vast majority of the world doesn't have the option to see much outside of their own area.

What I am leading into is the fact that Airstream has migrated from a brand that was marketed to a world full of cheap cars and cheap gas... to a brand that is largely now recognized as a premium product for rich people.

I know - I am not rich, and lots of Airstreams are not... but the facts are a 'cheap' new Airstream is north of $40K... So... you can justify our relatively extravagant choices in many ways... buy a used Airstream for less... fix up a vintage unit... but really, it's excessive... the whole RV industry is excessive. Not cheap, not efficient, and not durable.

If eco-sensitive is a priority... the biggest impact you can have is living local... not owning a vehicle, and living close enough to stores, employment, etc... that your use of fossil-fueled transportation is minimal. Anything more than that is wasteful (from that aspect).

So... towing a 4000-9000lb trailer around to explore the planet is a lot of fun. Unless you are using it 100's of days a year, it is also likely the most expensive. Lots of trips we've taken it would have been cheaper to drive a small car and stay in hotels...

BUT... I live in a small town where some people see my Airstream beside my house and think I am rich... When I talk to them, conversation often drifts into that area... "Sooo... how much IS an Airstream like that?"

I tell them that I got a great deal on a used one, and that my reason for getting an Airstream is because it is a reminder of all the hard work I've done to get it. It's excessive, but in a functional way. It is more than a trailer to me - it's part of the experience I have when I travel. It's meeting people that want to look at it... it's enjoying rolling into a campground and having people appreciate the artfulness of it. I could have bought some other trailer... but no other trailer gives me the same smile when I look at it - every time. (ya, it pisses me off when I have to fix something, but even that is part of the charm of it).

So... you'll never win any eco-arguement... and as North Americans, our impact on the world per-capita is immense... but people can understand passion, pride of ownership, sense of adventure... and if you tell them how an Airstream helps you enjoy life - they can understand that (but maybe not agree with).

If you aren't getting that from your RV experience... then just what are you doing?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Part of the problem is their own bad PR. How can they expect to get respect when that have been making boats for centuries that they themselves call Junk.

It all carries over.

Ken
Yet... we keep on buying it... So just who is the problem part of the equation here?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #59
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Yet... we keep on buying it... So just who is the problem part of the equation here?
I'm more than a little curious why you quoted my post which was a silly play on words, as a prelude to your apparent mini lecture. Is it a American/Canadian language problem?

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I bought my Airstream Safari brand new, but now it's used, am I greener now? Maybe we should burn SOB's at the camp ground instead of cutting down perfectly good trees. I think this country could be a lot greener if most of everything that you say you own, is really owned by you, instead of a finance company.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I bought my Airstream Safari brand new, but now it's used, am I greener now? Maybe we should burn SOB's at the camp ground instead of cutting down perfectly good trees. I think this country could be a lot greener if most of everything that you say you own, is really owned by you, instead of a finance company.
I for one don't relish the smell of burning plastic so lets cut up all the SOBs and make toy's for all the poor children of the world, or perhaps training dummies for Labrador retrievers. One or the other.

On the other subject, green is just as green if the finance company has it instead of you. In fact it may be greener because it is not faded by the light of day. Personally I pay for most of my stuff with checks instead of green. Mine are kind of buff colored with pictures of lighthouses on them. You probably thought it would be pictures of cats, didn't you.

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I for one don't relish the smell of burning plastic so lets cut up all the SOBs and make toy's for all the poor children of the world, or perhaps training dummies for Labrador retrievers. One or the other.

On the other subject, green is just as green if the finance company has it instead of you. In fact it may be greener because it is not faded by the light of day. Personally I pay for most of my stuff with checks instead of green. Mine are kind of buff colored with pictures of lighthouses on them. You probably thought it would be pictures of cats, didn't you.

Ken
Hi, I like the idea of making toys for all of the poor children; I would have liked it even more, for myself, about 60 years ago. And yes, I did think that you would have cats on your checks.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
I'm more than a little curious why you quoted my post which was a silly play on words, as a prelude to your apparent mini lecture. Is it a American/Canadian language problem?

Ken
I just don't like how this debate on American consumerism started to take a racist slant to it... I don't think it is fair to point th finger at China when the USA has the largest trade deficit with... China...

I'm more curious as to why MY comment is an apparent mini lecture, while everyone else gets away with racist stereotype comments...
Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I agree with the made in China responses. But I am old enough to remember when they said. "Those cheap Japanese cars". Which are now some of the finest and most fuel efficient cars on the planet. Look at KIA and Hyundai today. Even the Japanese are subcontracting to China. Your computer is probably made there or at least parts of it.
I bought a box of Kellogg's cereal the other day. Made in Canada
There are very few things made here today. It doesn't make me happy that virtually everything we wear from our shoes on our feet to the hat on our head is made in some other country.
It bothers me to think that one day you may see a "Made in xxxx" on the side of an Airstream. Mexico and Canada are not that far.
Don't know for sure but I bet a lot of AS owners were blue collar workers. People with SKILLS that made a good living.
Damn Canadians and their quest to feed people... Hardly compares to the Americans introducing 'high velocity trading' to the world, I know...
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you kidding me!!! Racist? How ridiculous.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm not bashing Canada or any other country that make products we buy. I worked in Canada for a number of years, from Montreal to Toronto and Vancouver. I like Canada and it's people. I have friends there and visit as often as possible. Oh! Did I mention that my wife is Canadian?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #67

Quote:
I just don't like how this debate on American consumerism started to take a racist slant to it... I don't think it is fair to point th finger at China when the USA has the largest trade deficit with... China...

I think the biggest problem is that you need to develop a bit of a sense of humor.

Chinese is not a race it is a nationality. China is a country where most of the people are of the Asian race. If I make a silly joke about Swiss army knives, is that anti Caucasian. Get a little tolerance yourself.

You will not enjoy these forum if you take everything so seriously.

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #68

Question What? Say again...

Quote:
Damn Canadians and their quest to feed people... Hardly compares to the Americans introducing 'high velocity trading' to the world, I know...
This is the most ridiculous logic I have read in the last couple days.

An American cereal company opens a factory in Canada, in the process providing jobs for Canadians. It then ships the product back to the US. You say that is "Canada's quest to feed the World".

Please, tell me that you are one of the McKenzie Brothers just trying to pull our leg. I have found that I don't always catch on to Canadian humor right away. Or, perhaps you have had one too many of those" Strange Brews."

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I think the biggest problem is that you need to develop a bit of a sense of humor.

Chinese is not a race it is a nationality. China is a country where most of the people are of the Asian race. If I make a silly joke about Swiss army knives, is that anti Caucasian. Get a little tolerance yourself.

You will not enjoy these forum if you take everything so seriously.

Ken
Hey! Never lump all Asians together. We have centuries of history of bigotry against each other! Anyway, there's more of us than there are of you...we're number 1!!! We're number 1!!!

That IS you, isn't it, Ken? I can't tell all you white people apart...you all look so much alike.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Hey! Never lump all Asians together. We have centuries of history of bigotry against each other! Anyway, there's more of us than there are of you...we're number 1!!! We're number 1!!!

That IS you, isn't it, Ken? I can't tell all you white people apart...you all look so much alike.
Yeah, its me. Just trying to be politically correct. It's very difficult you know. It doesn't come naturally for most of the world's people.

You are just assuming I am white. I am actually short grey and come from the planet Xyxplcvck. There are many more of us than you, we just blend in well.

Ken(AKA Oxnerd II)