Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I bought my Airstream Safari brand new, but now it's used, am I greener now? Maybe we should burn SOB's at the camp ground instead of cutting down perfectly good trees. I think this country could be a lot greener if most of everything that you say you own, is really owned by you, instead of a finance company.
I for one don't relish the smell of burning plastic so lets cut up all the SOBs and make toy's for all the poor children of the world, or perhaps training dummies for Labrador retrievers. One or the other.

On the other subject, green is just as green if the finance company has it instead of you. In fact it may be greener because it is not faded by the light of day. Personally I pay for most of my stuff with checks instead of green. Mine are kind of buff colored with pictures of lighthouses on them. You probably thought it would be pictures of cats, didn't you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I for one don't relish the smell of burning plastic so lets cut up all the SOBs and make toy's for all the poor children of the world, or perhaps training dummies for Labrador retrievers. One or the other.

On the other subject, green is just as green if the finance company has it instead of you. In fact it may be greener because it is not faded by the light of day. Personally I pay for most of my stuff with checks instead of green. Mine are kind of buff colored with pictures of lighthouses on them. You probably thought it would be pictures of cats, didn't you.

Ken
Hi, I like the idea of making toys for all of the poor children; I would have liked it even more, for myself, about 60 years ago. And yes, I did think that you would have cats on your checks.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm more than a little curious why you quoted my post which was a silly play on words, as a prelude to your apparent mini lecture. Is it a American/Canadian language problem?

Ken
I just don't like how this debate on American consumerism started to take a racist slant to it... I don't think it is fair to point th finger at China when the USA has the largest trade deficit with... China...

I'm more curious as to why MY comment is an apparent mini lecture, while everyone else gets away with racist stereotype comments...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I agree with the made in China responses. But I am old enough to remember when they said. "Those cheap Japanese cars". Which are now some of the finest and most fuel efficient cars on the planet. Look at KIA and Hyundai today. Even the Japanese are subcontracting to China. Your computer is probably made there or at least parts of it.
I bought a box of Kellogg's cereal the other day. Made in Canada
There are very few things made here today. It doesn't make me happy that virtually everything we wear from our shoes on our feet to the hat on our head is made in some other country.
It bothers me to think that one day you may see a "Made in xxxx" on the side of an Airstream. Mexico and Canada are not that far.
Don't know for sure but I bet a lot of AS owners were blue collar workers. People with SKILLS that made a good living.
Damn Canadians and their quest to feed people... Hardly compares to the Americans introducing 'high velocity trading' to the world, I know...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you kidding me!!! Racist? How ridiculous.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm not bashing Canada or any other country that make products we buy. I worked in Canada for a number of years, from Montreal to Toronto and Vancouver. I like Canada and it's people. I have friends there and visit as often as possible. Oh! Did I mention that my wife is Canadian?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I just don't like how this debate on American consumerism started to take a racist slant to it... I don't think it is fair to point th finger at China when the USA has the largest trade deficit with... China...

I think the biggest problem is that you need to develop a bit of a sense of humor.

Chinese is not a race it is a nationality. China is a country where most of the people are of the Asian race. If I make a silly joke about Swiss army knives, is that anti Caucasian. Get a little tolerance yourself.

You will not enjoy these forum if you take everything so seriously.

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Question What? Say again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Damn Canadians and their quest to feed people... Hardly compares to the Americans introducing 'high velocity trading' to the world, I know...
This is the most ridiculous logic I have read in the last couple days.

An American cereal company opens a factory in Canada, in the process providing jobs for Canadians. It then ships the product back to the US. You say that is "Canada's quest to feed the World".

Please, tell me that you are one of the McKenzie Brothers just trying to pull our leg. I have found that I don't always catch on to Canadian humor right away. Or, perhaps you have had one too many of those" Strange Brews."

Ken
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I think the biggest problem is that you need to develop a bit of a sense of humor.

Chinese is not a race it is a nationality. China is a country where most of the people are of the Asian race. If I make a silly joke about Swiss army knives, is that anti Caucasian. Get a little tolerance yourself.

You will not enjoy these forum if you take everything so seriously.

Ken
Hey! Never lump all Asians together. We have centuries of history of bigotry against each other! Anyway, there's more of us than there are of you...we're number 1!!! We're number 1!!!

That IS you, isn't it, Ken? I can't tell all you white people apart...you all look so much alike.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Hey! Never lump all Asians together. We have centuries of history of bigotry against each other! Anyway, there's more of us than there are of you...we're number 1!!! We're number 1!!!

That IS you, isn't it, Ken? I can't tell all you white people apart...you all look so much alike.
Yeah, its me. Just trying to be politically correct. It's very difficult you know. It doesn't come naturally for most of the world's people.

You are just assuming I am white. I am actually short grey and come from the planet Xyxplcvck. There are many more of us than you, we just blend in well.

Ken(AKA Oxnerd II)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

Yeah, its me. Just trying to be politically correct. It's very difficult you know. It doesn't come naturally for most of the world's people.

Ken
Wait...you mean it does for the people from off-world?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g;1097799....why is righteous even in this conversation. Someone look it up.....does not compute with anything having to do with green or ASes or camping or anything else having to do with this conversation.

[B
Definition of RIGHTEOUS[/B]

: acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin

a : morally right or justifiable <a righteous decision> b : arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality <righteous indignation>

slang : genuine, excellent.
OK- here's the deal: The topic of this thread derives from, as I said, a different thread on this forum. To keep this short, I was arguing (along with others) that the very decision to own and use a travel trailer (and tv) entails a rather large amount of environmental impact that also somewhat diminishes our PC entitlement to lecture others on the details. One response to this seemed to be that if your trailer was used, you were free of guilt, sin, baggage, environmental impact, whatever you want to call it. Hence my usage of the word "righteous" (see definition 1, above)and because I figured it would be an attention-getting word in the title of this thread. Another context for all this is that I live 15 miles away from Boulder, Colorado, and am within the fall-out zone for the endless PC yammering that then typically blows into Kansas and Nebraska, killing the grass and prairie dogs. joke.
So- I was wanting to put this idea of "righteousness", or "sanctimony", or smugness (to use plainer English) out there, in regards our common chosen hobby and/or passion. The catalyst was a comment in a recent thread, but it has come up before.
Hope this explains more of where I was coming from. (Longmont)
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Owning a used RV definitely makes me more righteous than people who buy new ones, absolutely no doubt about that.

But I make up for it by owning a boat, too.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Just want to say, too, that I have never laughed so hard as at some of the postings here..Thanks! I needed that.

"If you can't be a horrible example, then at least be a good warning" Adolph Hitler
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #75
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't really spent any time in Longmont. I guess I may have driven through there a few times. It is near Boulder and I have been there many times and it is an interesting place.

I had always thought of Longmont as just another suburb, but I guess I was wrong.

Ken (w7ts) and tphan both come from there and may be the same person with a serious psychological problem—multiple personalities perhaps. Nonetheless, maybe I have not taken Longmont seriously enough. It may be even stranger than Oak Creek or other old mountain mining towns.

Zlee doesn't live that far away from Longmont. She'd better be careful about going in that direction.

250+ miles from Longmont to my house and I feel safe with the highest peaks of the Rockies between us.

On another note, I'd have used "virtuous" and not "righteous". If you own two Airstreams, are they the Righteous Brothers?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #76
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Owning a used RV definitely makes me more righteous than people who buy new ones, absolutely no doubt about that.

But I make up for it by owning a boat, too.

-Marcus
Definitely, Streamers with botes are much more devine than the boteless.

PC then and now, we are a much better Country after the awaykining.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	american_3_World_War_Two_Propaganda_Posters-s350x470-48191-580.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	149497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Puppy beagle_thumb[1].jpg
Views:	248
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	149498  

Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Definitely, Streamers with botes are much more devine than the boteless.

PC then and now, we are a much better Country after the awaykining.

Bob
We are obviously not fully awakened yet, I am offended by that dog picture. It is obviously a pro evolutionary reference to the ship on which Darwin made his supposed voyage of discovery, HMS Beagle.

Ken

You just can't be too careful. Some of us are very sensitive
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I haven't really spent any time in Longmont. I guess I may have driven through there a few times. It is near Boulder and I have been there many times and it is an interesting place.

I had always thought of Longmont as just another suburb, but I guess I was wrong.

Ken (w7ts) and tphan both come from there and may be the same person with a serious psychological problem—multiple personalities perhaps. Nonetheless, maybe I have not taken Longmont seriously enough. It may be even stranger than Oak Creek or other old mountain mining towns.

Zlee doesn't live that far away from Longmont. She'd better be careful about going in that direction.

250+ miles from Longmont to my house and I feel safe with the highest peaks of the Rockies between us.

On another note, I'd have used "virtuous" and not "righteous". If you own two Airstreams, are they the Righteous Brothers?

Gene
Gene- If Crawford is out on the west slope somewhere, I think I've been there. Near Paonia? Longmont is kind of a bedroom community for Boulder and Denver, though distinctly LESS "hip". For example, the Butterball turkey processing plant, on the main drag 2 blocks from oldtown, just closed. Don't even say "Turkey processing plant" in Boulder, it is a misdemeanor offense.
I am a figment of w7ts's imagination that he sometimes uses as a nom-de-plume (Canadian for "name-of-feather") to further his own deranged rants on this otherwise respected forum. Don't blame me for anything he or I say...
This "Zlee" you mention is always welcome in Longmont. We have other extra-terrestrials living here (above mentioned w7ts) who would be more than happy to show her around. The turkey plant is no longer open for tours, though.
I don't know if you're safe over there- but I'd check for Boulder plates every now and then.
Virtuous, Schmirtuous- close enough for gov't. work.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Obviously Longmont is the high rent district what with turkey plants and all.
The best we can do out here in the boonies is chicken plants. Although I have known a few turkeys
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
What you all get up to when I'm off driving! I actually spend a fair amount of time in Longmont.

Gene, Tphan is aware (after a friendly exchange of PMs) that I've spent most of my time on the other thread carefully winding him up (or as we'd say in the States, yanking his chain). I'm sure he was just trying to return the favor! It takes practice to wind up effectively, though (as in, make people rush to defend their viewpoint passionately, yet not be actively insulting). I give him a point for the effort though.

Stick with it, tphan/Grasshopper.

Anyway, I'm sure Ken knew I was just verbally horsing around. (Besides, I'm disposed to like anyone who loves cats as much as me.) And now I have a place to dump my grey water tank. I don't know why he doesn't want my black tank though. I mean, at this point it should be OBVIOUS that my **** don't stink.