Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I like to think our polished Airstream is "greener" than a white box...it reflects the nature around us when we are camping, whereas the swoopy-colored-graphic-decal-SOBs stick out like a sore thumb in the forest.

As a matter of fact, the places swoopy-colored-graphic-decal-SOBs blend in with their environment (in a sea of other swoopy-colored-graphic-decal-SOBs!) are not among my first choices for camping spots ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
One of my considerations in choosing to go with an Airstream is that the body would never end up in a landfill. Used or new, any Airstream is greener from that standpoint.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I am wondering: are we defining righteous as something that is environment friendly?

If so , then this is kind of a new religion?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #32
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Smug Alert

This thread has caused me to recall the 2010 South Park episode "Smug Alert".

Thanks for the chuckles

The examples are different, but the theme is the same.

Ken

Here it is: ( you have to suffer through a few lead-in commercials.)

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e02-smug-alert
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
I am wondering: are we defining righteous as something that is environment friendly?

If so , then this is kind of a new religion?

GOD....

I'll follow you anywhere.....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Unfortunately in the race to maximize profits by corporations the used market has become cluttered with non repairable goods that have to be tossed due to no repair parts, as well as no way to get into them to repair them.

Aaron
I'd agree, Aaron; mass production is all about reducing costs and maximising profits and it does mean, sadly, that companies like Airstream always look to get cheaper and cheaper parts and materials in order to stay viable and to turn a profit. Things are becoming more disposable, it's a fact, whether we like it or not and for the most part the environment suffers as a result as people toss things that might otherwise have been reused.

As others have said, if you're going to go camping in a travel trailer at all, having an Airstream has a lesser impact on the environment in the long run than having an SOB. Now, whether going camping is an environmentally friendly thing to do in the wider scheme of things is an entirely different question. It's better, I think, for me to tow my Airstream to Florida than for my family to fly there; I wish had some figures to back that up!

Guilt free camping, eh?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
We dont really have influence in the manufacturing process. I guess an all wood, untreated trailer would be the most green, but you'd have to build a new one every 2 years. From a green aspect, I think Airstreams are more green from a recycling aspect, but more so from a towing aspect. They are lighter, and more aerodynamic, so if you had a side by side, there would be less fuel used to tow an airstream than other trailers. I don't know which creates more of a toxic mess to the environment - aluminum or fiberglass. Being from the top of the food chain, I think we ought to be as careful as is reasonable, and then enjoy. The earth heals itself pretty well, and we only take up the outer skin. I'm not going to lay down naked in a field somewhere just to die and feed the bugs. I'm also not going to pour oil and antifreeze in my backyard because I'm too lazy to take it somewhere to recycyle it. There's a balance. I think it's more important to make decisions at the corporate level. Support your clean water bills. Force companies to clean up after themselves instead of dumping in rivers and streams. And don't be too proud to pick up someone else's litter instead of stepping over it. I rent my TV. There's a place around the corner that rents F150, 250 and Explorers with tow packages. That way, I can drive my little 35 mpg Hyundai to work everyday, but when I need it, I can rent a big truck to pull my Airstream for the approx 20 days a year I think I'll need it.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
We dont really have influence in the manufacturing process.
Actually, I think we did - that's why most businesses deamed not environment friendly moved to China. Their cost relating to environment regulation and labor went way down by making that move. As a consequence, we lost all control of what happens, environmentally.

In return we get all the unregulated pollution from China and products that are not made to last ....

Something we all might want to think about next time we have the urge to be heavy-handed with our new-found religion.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
@W7ts: I will watch your subversive video only when you pry my cold, dead hands off my vintage Airstream Land Yacht.

@Robwok: You know, you now have me thinking about the truck-rental thing. I used my AS and Suburban for 10 days last year (pathetic, I know) and it really doesn't make a ton of sense to own the Suburban for just that, which is all I use it for. I guess I also thought that the typical rental truck was not equipped or insured for that kind of use, when I did once consider that. Great idea for keeping one's "footprint" a little smaller, though- thanks for posting!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I rent my TV. There's a place around the corner that rents F150, 250 and Explorers with tow packages. That way, I can drive my little 35 mpg Hyundai to work everyday, but when I need it, I can rent a big truck to pull my Airstream for the approx 20 days a year I think I'll need it.
I think that is a fabulous plan. Wandering through the rental return lanes a few days back, I saw a lot of Tahoes with tow packages - but I know that most rental car companies prohibit towing.

Too bad that; renting a tow vehicle when needed would save a lot of people a lot of money, not to mention the environmental savings.

Tom
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #39

One last warning

Beware all thee that have failed to heed mine warning. If ye shall continue on thine path of self-righteousness, the cloud of smug shall overcome thee and take from thee that which thy holdest most dear, the adoration of others.

I know this to be true, for I hath beheld it with mine own eyes. This hath been possible for I can gaze upon the city of Boulder from mine own back yard.

The Ghost of Airstreams Past.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Beware all thee that have failed to heed mine warning. If ye shall continue on thine path of self-righteousness, the cloud of smug shall overcome thee and take from thee that which thy holdest most dear, the adoration of others.

I know this to be true, for I hath beheld it with mine own eyes. This hath been possible for I can gaze upon the city of Boulder from mine own back yard.

Might even make you want a thor motorhome
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

Pay no attention to him. He doesn't know what he is talking about. Continue to do your small individual part to help save the world. At the same time continue to fail to work with one another to solve the more serious problems that come from the huge overseas polluting factories that produce the stuff that you consume by the tons. I am confident that your greed to possess material things, at the least possible cost, combined with your inability to work together collectively on anything useful will allow us to reach our goals.

The Ghost of Airstreams Present
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #42

North Vancouver , British Columbia
There are many options for a trailer camping rv nowadays. And like "mojo" said above backpacking and tenting is an option.