Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Of the numerous major extinctions that have occured on this planet, none, I am happy to report have been caused by Airstreams. IMHO this whole green thing is a bunch hooey. We are more likely to be a short lived planet because of some major super volcano or asteroid collision. But again that is just my opinion and without sufficient evidence to the contrary, I am sticking to it.
After seeing how everything is nowdays,,,,,,,, I think the only way to cut pollution in half is to cut the population in half. And also quit buying the junk from china that doesnt last and goes to the landfill. Ought to be a law against junk.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
After seeing how everything is nowdays,,,,,,,, I think the only way to cut pollution in half is to cut the population in half. And also quit buying the junk from china that doesnt last and goes to the landfill. Ought to be a law against junk.
Couldn't agree more!

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Yup- approximately twice the country, and world, population now compared to when I grew up in the '50's. Certainly a reason to strive for a lesser impact with our choices, and understand that just by existing and living a "normal" western life we have quite an impact.
That said, I can't wait for Spring and the coming camping season!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The notices of who has to "go" will be send out on Monday. Look for an e-mail from Nigeria.

Gene
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Yeah, that's always the rub. I volunteer, but not quite yet!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Buying used is recycling in the best tradition and is to be encouraged, but buying new is essential to feed the used market; someone has to do it. If you're going to have a trailer at all, Airstreams are quite green, what with their longevity and their relatively aerodynamic properties.

Of course, if you keep your towing speed down and use your on-board systems (A/C!) sparingly that'll go a long way to reducing your environmental footprint. You could also try a smaller, more fuel efficient tow vehicle, but maybe that's a bit too radical?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Buying used is recycling in the best tradition and is to be encouraged, but buying new is essential to feed the used market; someone has to do it. If you're going to have a trailer at all, Airstreams are quite green, what with their longevity and their relatively aerodynamic properties.

Of course, if you keep your towing speed down and use your on-board systems (A/C!) sparingly that'll go a long way to reducing your environmental footprint. You could also try a smaller, more fuel efficient tow vehicle, but maybe that's a bit too radical?
I would have less problem with new purchases to feed the used market...if the new stuff was quality and would last. Unfortunately in the race to maximize profits by corporations the used market has become cluttered with non repairable goods that have to be tossed due to no repair parts, as well as no way to get into them to repair them. We have become a society hooked on disposable everything as well as having to drive an economy with consumerism.

I have a 3 speed bike that is over 40 years old, has been ridden in excess of 30,000 miles. I still ride it, I can still get repair parts for it. I bought a nice new 7 speed bike in 2006, the hub recently broke...no repair parts available, throw the hub out and buy a new one A replacement hub was going to cost about half of what the bike did new...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Not to worry

As soon as you drive the new trailer off the lot, it instantly becomes a used trailer, thus loosing all the environmental baggage of a new trailer.

Ken
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
For what it's worth, in the environmental world there are the 3 R's Recycle, Reuse, and Repurpose. One thing great about aluminum is that it is nearly infinitely recyclable. i don't know the recycle content of the materials AS uses for their new trailers, but I'll bet it is fairly high whether they know it or not. If we're going to go RVing with a trailer, all the good reasons I have read, such as drag or coeffient of friction, etc. are all good reasons. I also agree that one can rationalize all they want about what ever they are in to, but the bottom line most every human activity has an impact that can be viewed as negative for the environment. If you believe all the hype about carbon dioxide being a green house gas, stop breathing because that is exactly what is emitted each time you exhale! Just go on-line and you can find hundreds of calculators to show you just how big your carbon footprint is. If you take this seriously there are probably a lot of things you can do to offset your carbon footprint, but as for me, not using my AS isn't one of them.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't know how much energy it takes to make the new carbon fiber materials . But having worked in the aluminum can business for 35 years. It takes a lot of energy to recycle aluminum and even more to make virgin material.
I do recycle, just to keep the material out of the landfill. But I'm not convinced that energy is saved by recycling. When you include the energy involved to haul the material to a recycling center. In my case 60 miles round trip. Then the energy required to get the material to a processing facility. Virgin aluminum contains Boxite which as far as I know today is shipped in from South America. Most of the aluminum in North America comes from 3 sources. ALCOA aluminum co. Of America; ALCAN aluminum co. Of Canada; or Reynolds Aluminum, there is also Kaiser Aluminum. Not sure either of the last 2 are still in business.
I don't know how much of the aluminum in an AS is recycled or what the ratio of recycled material is mixed with virgin material in the different alloys of aluminum.
I didn't buy my trailer to save the planet. I bought it to enjoy the planet. I do feel better knowing that it could be around for another 30 or 40 years. Which means a new one won't have to be built to replace it. That's a good thing. Maybe that's what will save the planet.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I'm very concerned about litter, pollution, etc. because I don't like to see our beautiful earth trashed (we're serious recyclers). I remember seeing awful stuff in the rivers and elsewhere when I was growing up in Wyoming and Colorado I lived a while in Glenrock, Wyoming in the mid-1940s. When I was nine years old I was baptized in the North Platte river between Casper and Glenrock. Two things about that holy occasion linger in my mind; 1) in early may during the snow melt, that river is cold! 2) there was a significant oil slick on the water due to refineries that discharged waste in the water. #1 is nature doing her thing, but #2 was done by ignorant and/or greedy people who seemed to think it was OK to send the stuff down the river where they didn't have to deal with it. I do have to say this is not common today.

I buy much of what I use, including cars, trucks, and my trailers, used. Am I green? I don't know, but I have a lot more green left in my bank account!

Gene
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
if you're truly concerned about being environmentally conscience, you would find a place to go park your trailer (old or new) and leave it there. then everytime you want to go camping, strap on a backpack full of supplies and walk up to where you parked it and "camp" or the super righteous approach would be you wouldn't own one at all.

like kermit the frog says...it's not easy being green

and trying to conform to boulder standards! well....good luck with that.

so many cyclists so little time
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink Don't get much better than this......

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aluminium recycling…………..75% of all aluminum produced since 1888 is still in use today.

Recycling aluminium uses about 5% of the energy required to create aluminium from bauxite, because the latter requires a lot of electrical energy to electrolyse aluminium oxide into aluminium.

Streaming, I do it guilt free....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Interesting facts and figures. Brand new or vintage, I'm happy to have one!