Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

surrey , British Columbia
us or canada

From Canada and am not sure if it is ok to buy across the border. Has anyone had experience with the dealer in Portland?
jillya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
We bought ours used in Alberta, but considered new in Eugene Or. They were really nice to deal with. We know a few people from Vancouver who have bought at George Sutton. There is no tax in Oregon, so you shouldn't have to pay more tax than you would buying at Travelland. They usually have one of everything at Suttons too... With the par $ I would see who will give the best after purchase service. If you don't often go through Oregon, servicing at Travelland might be less pleasant with a trailer bought in the US. (Shouldn't be though!)
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

us or canada

for sure we will never go back across the border for service so should that make a big difference to us?

There is portland airstream and George Sutton does anyone know about Portland?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
There is also an Airstream dealer in Spokane, WA. But, we bought our 27FB Classic Limited from George Sutton in Eugene. George Sutton is one of the largest Airstream dealers in the country.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

us or canada

did you have a good experience? did you have to go across the border?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
jillya,

Welcome to airforums.com. I wish you the best of luck with your search for an Airstream!

I'm not sure if you are asking about importing a trailer from the US, or information on dealing with a specific dealer.

The following are links to others' experiences in regards to importing into Canada.

In there, people mention that GST was payable, so I'm going to imagine the HST is now payable.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f343...ada-27563.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f343...tes-19581.html
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillya View Post
From Canada and am not sure if it is ok to buy across the border. Has anyone had experience with the dealer in Portland?
Presume you mean buying an RV?

Can't help with your query about Portland, but we bought our AS from a nearby dealer in Ohio.

I'm quite sure we saved $$, but our main reason for buying there was that we wanted a reasonably new AS trailer, and after a few months of looking, just couldn't find what we wanted near our home n Canada.

The importation procedure was a breeze. Just check the Revenue Canada website and be sure you get all the paperwork to comply with their requirements.

For example, there is a requirement that you obtain a letter from the manufacturer stating that there are no outstanding recalls on your unit.

You need to pay an inspection fee of about $200 at the border in addition to PST/GST in order to enter Canada.

Once in Canada, then with the paperwork you were given at the border, you must take the trailer to a Canadian Tore store within ?? days for inspection.
(This is what the $200 fee is for.)

Unlikely they will find anything that needs to be done - they will sign off the paperwork, then you can go to the license bureau to get your registration & plates.

I was a bit nervous as I had not gone thru the process before, but it is pretty straightforward. We had no problems.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Importing a used RV seems to be a different matter. But importing a new -- it probably needs to be spec'ed to Canadian code. Any Airstream dealer below the border should be able to deal with the factory to get what is required for Canada. Be sure & bring this up in your dealings with them.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

us or canada

thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

us or canada

what is involved in bringing a new RV up to Canadian Code does anyone know?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I have some experience with the Portland Airstream shop. Great group, friendly and service department (parts for my 75 Sovereign) is well acquainted with Airstreams.
If I were buying new that is where I would start looking.
Good Luck and I hope you find just the right one for you.
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
My experience if buying in the USA is that you need all the proper paper work first and then what ever border crossing you choose.. you must send to the border crossing at least 48hrs ahead of your arrival, you will pay all taxes at that time but if you live in Alberta, you only pay GST. From Calgary as far as service goes... My choice is at Spokane Airstream! Unbelievable service and If you need parts Andy and his crew at Inland RV are the best!! they shipped to Canada by UPS and had no problems what so ever!!
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The dealership in Portland is fairly new, so you may not get many responses on using them. Not to say they aren't just fine, it's just that the other dealers mentioned have been around a lot longer so more people are familiar with them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you are considering buying int he USA, I would seriously consider AS of Spokane. They are good in every way. They understand customer service.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Spokane Airstream

I second the comments about Spokane Airstream. They are very good to work with and have a tremendous shop.

Take a look at airstreamofspokane.com
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillya View Post
what is involved in bringing a new RV up to Canadian Code does anyone know?
There are several issues I've heard only a little about -- gas line protection, axle capacity, electrical (?). There may be more.

LP lines under the trailer need a shielding around them. I think 2airishuman ran a photo mystery thread on Canadian differences once, but I can't find it.

Airstream switched new manufacture to Dexter axles and this generally has satisfied Canadian requirements for a higher level of axle capacity.

Electrical ... I don't remember what the difference might be in this area. Anybody know?

Other differences? Y'all come and post, y'hear?!

Consider the above a starting point only. I honestly don't know how these would be enforced if you were licensing a new Airstream from south of the border -- as this is the only practical point at which they could throw the enforcement issues at you. But definitely research this thoroughly. Is it still Karyn at Airstream of Spokane? Message them or call.

A thread on general import handling -- canada customs policy on buying airstream in states

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
It is very easy to import a new or used trailer from the states.I have done this and so have friends.Check this site Registrar of Imported Vehicles for answers and if you have more questions send me a pm and I will give you my phone number and we can discuss.
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
If you are looking for a new AS the price difference Canada / USA is not as much as it once was. I think for after sales service its better to buy from your local dealer.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Not our local dealer!
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
My experience if buying in the USA is that you need all the proper paper work first and then what ever border crossing you choose.. you must send to the border crossing at least 48hrs ahead of your arrival, you will pay all taxes at that time but if you live in Alberta, you only pay GST. From Calgary as far as service goes... My choice is at Spokane Airstream! Unbelievable service and If you need parts Andy and his crew at Inland RV are the best!! they shipped to Canada by UPS and had no problems what so ever!!

I was told that the need to send paperwork to the border crossing 48hrs ahead only applied to motorized vehicles and not to trailers.

Not only that, I believe it is a requirement of the US border folks, not the Canadians. Seems to me that I also read that in the regulations and detailed importation instructions that I downloaded from the Can. Govt.

In any event, when we imported our trailer (with temporary Ohio tags), it was not an issue with the Canadian officers and we didn't stop at the US office!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote