Old 10-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
ULSD-What's your experience?

I just towed 907 miles over a four day week end over the same roads I've towed over before at the same speeds I have traveled before. I was carrying an extra load that I haven't carried in the past, but I noticed that my mileage was off by almost 2 miles to the gallon. Has anyone else seen a drop in miles per gallon since the switch to ULSD?

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
MM,
Did you have your golf cart in the bed?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Yes, I did. Should that have made THAT much difference? I would have expected may 1 MPG.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
We just returned from a 6000 mile journey from Virginia to Tucson via Minnesota, SoDak, Nebraska, Colorado, etc..
I noticed that last year, over much the same route, the Sprinter delivered 22.55 MPG. This year it was 21.78 MPG. I don't think this is statistically significant, but am reluctant to assign blame to the low sulphur fuel.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have noticed a drop in my daily commute's mileage, too. I was just wandering if it was the ULSD or maybe it was the oil change a couple of weeks ago, or could it be winter mix has hit Georgia?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Mine still gets 12.5 around town, and about 15 MT, on the road.
However, it does need a new injector pump, courtesy of the new fuel (leaking).
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have no idea what my average really is. I have hit as high as 18mpg on a 55 mph highway with a 20+mph tailwind and as low as 12.5mpg running 75 mph unloaded into the wind on the interstate. I guess my norm at interstate cruising (65-68mph) is probably around 15-16mpg. As far as the ULSD is concerned I have started running an additive just as a precaution. I much prefer bio but it is hard to find along the roads. FWIW the Sphinx stations are touting that they sell bio, come to find out it is only B2 dunno how much good that is in the grand scheme of things. But it does give some a warm fuzzy feeling My beast has the E4OD tranny with a 4.10 rearend and it ain't aerodynamic...think BIG RED BRICK I don't really worry about fuel mileage unless it gets really, really bad like 6-8mpg then I might wonder what is going on. I bought for the cab room and the grunt power, not the mpg, that and it was RED. Bicycles always get better mileage anyway and they can tow an Airstream

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I've noticed a drop in my mileage. I just added a camper shell that weighs about 200 lbs, so I am reluctant to assign blame to the ULSD. I would have thought the streamline effect of the shell would have cancelled out any added weight demands on the MPG. I do have some Thule racks on top of the shell so I think I'll remove them and see if the mileage improves.
I guess my case study status is flawed...
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
I've noticed a drop in my mileage. I just added a camper shell that weighs about 200 lbs, so I am reluctant to assign blame to the ULSD. I would have thought the streamline effect of the shell would have cancelled out any added weight demands on the MPG. I do have some Thule racks on top of the shell so I think I'll remove them and see if the mileage improves.
I guess my case study status is flawed...
In order to verify your suspicions, can you remove the cap, and drive for a while, check mileage, and report back?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Ulsd

There is somewhat less energy content per gallon, so hence the slightly lower fuel economy.

2003 3/4 ton Suburban
6.0, 3.73

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
In order to verify your suspicions, can you remove the cap, and drive for a while, check mileage, and report back?
I wish it were simple to do just that. One of my goals is to set up an easy shell removal system...probably a pully setup...but until then the shell stays where it is. 200 lbs is just a bit too much for my wife and I to strong arm.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Yes, I did. Should that have made THAT much difference? I would have expected may 1 MPG.
the roof on that golf cart would cause a little more drag. But I'd agree not that much sure wouldn't think 2 MPG. From what I have read ULSD does produce a slight reduction in fuel economy. or Maybe you bought too much stuff at Disney I know we do.. all that added weight. My PSD just turned over 17500 so I can't honestly say I drive enough to really provide hard empirical data. Have noticed however in-town mileage has improved on mine but that is more likely a function of break-in.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have just over 23K miles after the return trip home. Total mileage on the trip was 909 miles...all with the Airstream and golf cart combo. Once we got to Ft. W. we didn't drive the truck again 'till we left.

With the trip computer I am in the habit of running through the numbers and resetting everything except the engine hours so I see the MPG's at every fill-up so I kind of have a general idea of where I am on mileage all the time. I had somewhere around 567 hours total on the engine when I got home Monday so I am still in the breaking in period.

The last time I hauled the golf cart in the bed of the truck with the AS in tow it was for about 60 miles and I did reset the trip computer at the gas station before I headed out and checked it when I arrived. This was over Labor Day Weekend. All of that trip was on rural two lane highways so I really can't compare to this trip, but I did get 11.8 MPG's on that little stretch even with several little two horse towns along the way. That's why I figured about 1 MPG with the extra load of the golf cart. It is possible that the golf cart top made that much difference; I don't know. Just currious if that was it or if anyone else had seen a marked difference in fuel mileage with the new stuff.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #14
_

. , .
hi fuel watchers....

just drove 2000miles with trailer in tow and truck/shell full of stuff...

across the rockies and cascades to the pacific...

about 1/3 was lsd and 2/3s ulsd....no difference in mileage based on this very small change in sulfur content....

incline yes, head wind yes...so many factors impact mileage...

drop speed 5mph....mpg goes up nearly 10% while towing

yes the diesel refining process reduces btus...about 1%.

it also reduces lubricity of the fuel...so i use stanadyne performance formula at every fill...

if i go 2 tanks without it mpg drops 10% while towing....

that is significant.

cheers
2air'

one other thing to be aware of minnie's mate,

ford does regular cpu reprograming 'flashes' on these trucks...

sometimes without telling the owner and during other routine services like oil changes...

mine has been done 3-4 times in the last 18 months, and one of them significantly affected my mpg.....so heads up...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote