Old 10-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
one other thing to be aware of minnie's mate,

ford does regular cpu reprograming 'flashes' on these trucks...

sometimes without telling the owner and during other routine services like oil changes...

mine has been done 3-4 times in the last 18 months, and one of them significantly affected my heads up...
Earlier this year there was a recall on the programming of the cpu and I noticed a drop in MPG's on my daily commute then too (dropped from 19.9 to 18.7 on average). I just had my oil changed at the dealer a week before this trip so they may have "adjusted" the programming then, too. That may have affected the MPG's. However, I have noticed a slight drop, +-1 MPG over the past 3-4 weeks (down to about 17.8 or so). I was just assuming that this was due to the stations in my area switching over to the ULSD.

It would seem to me if there are fewer lubricants, there are fewer combustables and therefore more would be required to burn to produce the same results, no matter how subtle that difference might be, and over the course of a tank of fuel it would make a marginal, say 1 MPG, difference. Add to that 1 MPG an additional .75-1 MPG for the additional weight of the golf cart I was hauling and the additional drag it added to the mix and that might equal the approximately 2 MPG's loss in mileage I observed on this trip.

The golf cart may have affected the mileage that much, though. I wouldn't have thought it would have added that much drag since the windshield is folded in half and only a few inches rise above the cab of the truck and the only other part above is the golf cart roof and it is fairly thin in profile. I guess that could be it though. Maybe I just don't want to admit it so I can blame the mean old government regulations and big bad oil companies!

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Minnie's Mate,
I track mileage on my vehicles and I do it the old fashioned way with a pen and paper (no fancy onboard computers on my stuff) You will also get a variance of around 2% from fillup to fillup based on ambient tempature, whether the fuel station pad slopes and which way you are parked on it, as well as the flow rate shutting off the nozzle. I usually figure 5-7% one way or the other is statistically insignificant. I look at the long term. I have found as a general rule sticking anything out in the wind will affect mileage. On my V-6 F150 putting the weekender ladder racks on without a ladder would hit me a good 2-3 mpg add the ladder and it would be almost 5mpg. I suspect the mpg hit on the diesel would be a bit less but still noticable. I realize in this day and age of volatile fuel prices paying attention to mileage is probably a good thing. But I don't obsess about it. I think too that the additives are a good idea, especially on the older engines and supposedly they will help mileage. 10% at 14 miles to the gallon is only 1.4mpg if I were getting around 40mpg then 10% would concern me.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have not noticed any difference. But then, I run a mix of biodiesel and propane. Currently I am out of propane, but have Biodiesel mixed with who knows what. I'll check to see if my local dino diesel favorite fill up place has the right stickers on the pump.

Got some off road for the tractors the other day, and filled them up. One of the 5 gallon Blitz cans had a whole bunch of "crap" in the bottom. No more off road diesel from that place again, unless I see filters on the pumps.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote