Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
U.S.S. Yorktown

I understand a new museum dedicated to the Medal of Honor Society was just opened aboard this ship. Having had the opportunity to pound down a few cold ones with a receipent of this highest award I would like to travel in that direction sometime soon.Would anyone inform me as to what camping area's are close by , maybe suggest a few area's. Has anyone toured the Yorktown?And remember Memorial Day, Thank you DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a KOA nearby. If nothing else, they tend to be uniformly blah, so you know what to expect.
Here is contact info for them:
3157 N Highway 17, Mt Pleasant, SC
(843) 849-5177
Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Yorktown

We've toured it several times. It's located at Patriot's Point in Charleston. Along with the Yorktown there is a diesel sub, a coast guard vessel, a destroyer and a mock up of a Vietnam era army camp. The whole area is well done. The Yorktown itself is a several hour tour. Great stop. I'd recommend the St James Island county park just outside of Charleston. Reservations are needed. While you're there, step back in history and visit the Confederate submarine Hunley at the old naval yard. We spend 2 months a year in Edisto Beach State Park, 45 mins south of Charleston. Great SP on the beach. Savanah is 1.5 hrs south, easy day trip for either. Reservations needed for Edisto also. Edisto seems to draw a lot of AS's, don't think we've ever been there without seeing other AS's there.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
DG, I did 4 yrs in the Navy in Charleston onboard the USS Soley DD-707. Wasn't interested in camping back then, but it is a beautiful city, plan on staying a few days there is a lot to see. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
And if you drag that Airstream thru Atlanta without letting me buy you several beers, I've got a buddy who was a former Recon Marine I'm sending after ya!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggH
. Along with the Yorktown there is a diesel sub, a coast guard vessel, a destroyer and a mock up of a Vietnam era army camp.
When I was there in the early 90's I got to see the Yorktown and the sub, but not the destroyer and army camp (not sure if they were there then). I had a great time and would love to get back some day. Despite all I had read about the desiel subs, I really did not appreciate how small they truely are and I guess I still dont appreciate what it would be like to be in one during the long tours- let alone during a depth charging.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
When I was there in the early 90's I got to see the Yorktown and the sub, but not the destroyer and army camp (not sure if they were there then). I had a great time and would love to get back some day. Despite all I had read about the desiel subs, I really did not appreciate how small they truely are and I guess I still dont appreciate what it would be like to be in one during the long tours- let alone during a depth charging.
no doubt. i toured the yorktown with my 18 month old strapped in one of those baby-back-packs... whew- that was a tight squeeze! Can't imagine the sub interior...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
On the way to the Yorktown

I visited Cleveland a few years ago and stayed at a hotel on the lake shore. Surprise to me ...it was right across from the Rock and Roll Museum. Bigger surprise was the War Two Submarine open for tours floating right next door. A fully complete and stocked as in WW II. Really worth the visit on the way to the Yorktown visit.

The part I really locked onto was that the fact that in order to be displayed on a Great Lake adjacent to Canada the propellers had to be removed making it an inert weapon system. The Canadians could take no chances here.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
The part I really locked onto was that the fact that in order to be displayed on a Great Lake adjacent to Canada the propellers had to be removed making it an inert weapon system. The Canadians could take no chances here.
well heck, one subs all it would take....
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Stayed in the KOA mentioned. Not bad, not spectacular either. Loved the Yorktown and other vessels in the park. Viet Nam camp wasn't there then, but I lived in enough of them to not really care to see it anyway. The restored aircraft on the hanger deck were well done, and had an old salt with each to explain each one's history and role. Nice display.

If you get to Chicago go to the Museam of Industry. Got the old German Submarine displayed inside a large building of its own. You can tour the inside and all. Great job!! They also have a boeing 727 cut open so that you can walk through and see everything that made it up. It's not a mock up. It's a real 727.

PS: don't forget to see Ft. Sumpter while in Charlston. Nice boat ride.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Wait, I thought that was the French...

Tim, Report back with photos if you end up going.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote