Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I found something else for Texas Vets.

Note: This site may offend some people who don't like this stuff, so be advised, and use your better judgement before going to the site.

Here is the site about special TX plates, if anyone is interested.

Military and Veterans
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Here in TN, most lic plates can be gotten that say vet, Branch specific, disabled Vet, then there is the perm tag for all veterans who are 100% perm & total through the VA which is a tag that is perm registered to you and just goes from veh to veh.
As far as discounts most of us just show our VA cards, as all veterans have one.
Please remember that every year Golden Coral gives a free supper to veterans at all Golden Corals across the nation. They was the first to offer this and started it about 20 years ago
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Many States do have this option, but all STATES and Provinces should!

If you have served, or your family members have served, chances are you will have the same view a Merle.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Got that new DL in the mail on Thursday. Very nice. But who in the H--- is that old man in the picture?
Sorry, I refuse to post a likeness.
He sure is ugly, take my word for it!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Now everyone knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Got that new DL in the mail on Thursday. Very nice. But who in the H--- is that old man in the picture?
Sorry, I refuse to post a likeness.
He sure is ugly, take my word for it!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Now everyone knows.

Whoops!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

Took my DD214 down to the Livingston DMV last week. They would not except it, stated it had to be a certified copy. They directed me to the Veterans office located at the courthouse annex. A very nice lady working in the Veterans office took my DD214 made a copy and during her lunch hour had it certified. I picked it up that afternoon and DMV added it to my DL. The other thing the nice lady at the Veterans office did here was to began the process to file for my hearing lost I incurred during my time in service.

"Happy trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

Took my DD214 down to the Livingston DMV last week. They would not except it, stated it had to be a certified copy.
"Happy trails"
chiefneon
That must vary from office to office. My three DD214s were not certified and they were accepted without any problems.

Good idea on the nearing loss. I had some damage from standing on the sides of F-86Ds doing supervised runups into afterburner as I checked out each of my students. Ground crew members were issued hearing protection, but nothing was provided for the pilots.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from GA. . . I wonder if other states have same ? We're about to move to AZ & have to go thru changing everything. As an aside, picking your spot for any government service is Important. I drive from ATL to Griffin,Ga (54 miles) to talk to the Social Security folks. Much less hassle. ATL offices are packed & generally staffed with rude folks...........Thanks & regards, Craig
Best way to find out is to contact the local veterans organizations for that area, they are usually pretty up on all available veteran discounts for local and state wide. The VFW or legion would be the 2 most active.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks for a great thread. My wife and I are both retired USAF, and headed back to TX in few months, so this will be a nice feature. Maybe right after we spring the poor trailer from long term storage?

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
That must vary from office to office. My three DD214s were not certified and they were accepted without any problems.

Good idea on the nearing loss. I had some damage from standing on the sides of F-86Ds doing supervised runups into afterburner as I checked out each of my students. Ground crew members were issued hearing protection, but nothing was provided for the pilots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

Took my DD214 down to the Livingston DMV last week. They would not except it, stated it had to be a certified copy. They directed me to the Veterans office located at the courthouse annex. A very nice lady working in the Veterans office took my DD214 made a copy and during her lunch hour had it certified. I picked it up that afternoon and DMV added it to my DL. The other thing the nice lady at the Veterans office did here was to began the process to file for my hearing lost I incurred during my time in service.

"Happy trails"
chiefneon
If you have it you should also add ringing in the ears, its a sound that sometimes is like a tone,ringing,buzz, etc, sometimes it is intermintent sometimes its constant, sometimes its loud, sometimes low or barely hearable and if you have the hearing loss then you most likely dont even notice it when it is low or barely.
Both of these will only get you a 10% rate, but if you should loose your hearing to the point of legally deaf or completely lose it and become deaf the rate can go as high as 80%.
Once you reach a VA rate of 50% combined you no longer have to pay for meds or treatment through the VA.
I always strongly advise all veterans who have any condition that was caused or aggravated by military service to file a compensation claim.

Sarge >former DAV Service Officer who helped Vets apply for compensation on injuries from the service.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
As a former DAV SO, I used to be very good at what I did as a veterans representative, I can most likely answer most questions anyone may have concerning VA disability compensation or pension.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Certified? BS! I walked in got it applied for and, literally, out of there in three minutes. We get treated like that because we let 'em treat us like that. Take the time and make 'em show you where it says "certified."
Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #34
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
If you have it you should also add ringing in the ears, its a sound that sometimes is like a tone,ringing,buzz, etc, sometimes it is intermintent sometimes its constant, sometimes its loud, sometimes low or barely hearable and if you have the hearing loss then you most likely dont even notice it when it is low or barely.
Both of these will only get you a 10% rate, but if you should loose your hearing to the point of legally deaf or completely lose it and become deaf the rate can go as high as 80%.That describes my hearing to a T.
Sarge >former DAV Service Officer who helped Vets apply for compensation on injuries from the service.
That describes my hearing to a T. I have tinnitus that sometimes gets so bad that I can't jam with my guitar because I can't distinguish the key changes or pick out my own guitar. I am sitting here right now with a whole orchestra plaring in my ears. Other times, it may go away for a time, but it always comes back. I also have problems with some voices, especially my wife when she speaks softly.
I'm sure this originated in those times when I was having students do afterburner runups with me standing on the step supervising.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
That describes my hearing to a T. I have tinnitus that sometimes gets so bad that I can't jam with my guitar because I can't distinguish the key changes or pick out my own guitar. I am sitting here right now with a whole orchestra plaring in my ears. Other times, it may go away for a time, but it always comes back. I also have problems with some voices, especially my wife when she speaks softly.
I'm sure this originated in those times when I was having students do afterburner runups with me standing on the step supervising.
Tinitus is actually what it is called and since you have already been diagnoised with it, you should add it inaddition to the hearing loss, you might get 20% then of coarse that also depends on how bad your hearing loss is as well. Generally the VA gives 10 & 10.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Tinitus is actually what it is called and since you have already been diagnoised with it, you should add it inaddition to the hearing loss, you might get 20% then of coarse that also depends on how bad your hearing loss is as well. Generally the VA gives 10 & 10.

Sarge

Please explain what you are refering to in your last sentence. "VA gives 10 and 10." I am in the process of filing a claim for a completely different sort of problem and under standing the terms used by VA would be helpful for me.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Please explain what you are refering to in your last sentence. "VA gives 10 and 10." I am in the process of filing a claim for a completely different sort of problem and under standing the terms used by VA would be helpful for me.
10% for hearing loss, 10% for tinnitus. but again that depends on the amount of hearing loss you have, it could higher or lower.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Sarge. That clears it up for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
Sarge, I have been putting off going to the VETS for anything. I bought my hearing aids from the Costco hearing aid services, $3,000 a pair. The guy who tested me, after selling the aids to me, asked if I was a veteran, my answer was yes, Viet Nam 67 and 69. He was on a gun mount there also, I was a loader on a twin 3 inch mount with cigarette butts as our ear protection. He said to go to the VETS and apply for hearing aids and disability. Now I have found out that I'm also on the list to be checked for Agent Orange exposure. After reading what you have posted, I guess it is time to go to the VETS. Thanks for your POST.
Chuck
ThreeFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Anytime yall, I loved being a Service Officer, in the time in which I was doing it. I had the enjoyment/satisfaction of helping many others just like all of you and some that was worse off. My only pay out of it was the results of my work and the thanks that I got which made it all worth it.
Here is another link everyone should look at especially if you was in Nam,
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/HCVets/

If anybody else has any questions feel free to ask, and if you hear someone that may need help have them contact me.
SargeAF@Comcast.net
SargeAF@Hotmail.com
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA