Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Two Step

I have the 22ft CCD and one thing that has given me a bit of trouble is the single step (bum knee). I recently saw a Safari where the owner had paid to have the Classic model 2 step added - which I thought of doing. Then I found out about cost, plus the screw for the bottom step that breaks and costs a small fortune to replace.

If I'm camping on level ground it's not a problem, but right now Im on a space that runs downhill to the right, so the bottom step is quite large. I was going to get step aerobics step (about $35) to put on the ground which would give me about a six inch boost, but I stopped at Home Depot and found a very good substitute fro $15. It's a six inch deep outdoor plumbing access cover (this one was for irrigation systems - It's about 16 long and 12 wide by 7 inches deep. It's very heavy duty plastic and works perfectly! I'll just toss it in the 'burb when I leave.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs down Great idea...

What an innovative idea for a step. I have the same problem with my knees and such. Our kids gave us a gift certificate to Camping World and my first purchase was the sturdy aluminum stool. I like it because the legs fold completely flat when not in use. It wasn't cheap, but it has more "foot room" than the little Rubbermaid stools, or "turtle" stools. I'll have to look for the drain cover at HD...... maybe a portable raised patio......

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
What an innovative idea for a step. I have the same problem with my knees and such. Our kids gave us a gift certificate to Camping World and my first purchase was the sturdy aluminum stool. I like it because the legs fold completely flat when not in use. It wasn't cheap, but it has more "foot room" than the little Rubbermaid stools, or "turtle" stools. I'll have to look for the drain cover at HD...... maybe a portable raised patio......
Marie has the same knee problem, we went to Wal-mart and got a poured PVC stepstool from the housewares department, cost around $5. It was almost the perfect height to use as a second step, and about $300 cheaper, too.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
We also are bugged by the one step on the earily CCD trailers. We bought one of the first 28 footers built and noticed several short commings, one being the step the other being the lack of access to the large empty space located in front of the couch.

It seems Airstream listens and both of these itams were corrected in the 2005 model year.

You suggestions fro the step are very interesting and we will look into them. Thanks for sharing.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote