Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I test my emerg window regularly and bring a number of fire extinguishers as well.

Though I do keep the fridge on LP when not connected to electric and run the furnace when needed, I have turned off the water heater when not in use at night. Costs me more to heat it back up I know, compared to a maintained temperature, but it gives me piece of mind, cause in my case, the water heater is right under the foot my bed and what a hot foot that would be!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I'm thinking about the "emergency exit window" at the foot of the bed that I long ago decided wasn't physically possible for me to get out of without attempting a swan dive from the foot of the bed. I'm not ancient, but the window is small and three feet off the floor..... it's a JOKE as an emergency exit.

Paula
Paula,

If the window comes out the procedure is easier to perform than describe but I will try. With the window out, Head first out the window facing into the coach, back to the outside. Sit on the window frame, only the legs from the femur down are now inside, push out until the crook of your knees are on the window frame, lean back against the out side of the trailer and extend your hands to the ground, hope the reach at this point Then just take the weight off the back side of the knees and roll out on to the ground. I have never needed to perform in an emergency but have practiced with an older RV in the past. Quick and easy with a little practice. May be worth the effort.

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Exclamation Emergency exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
-- I'll just bet I'm not the only Airstreamer out there who is unskilled about using this lifesaving feature in our trailers. -- ~
You're not!

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It probably would be a good idea to smash that window before attempting to extinguish the fire.
Neil, This is exactly on target. Get out first, fight the fire from outside if it's still small enough and safe. Grab your extinguisher on the way out - if it's safe.
Kudos to all of you who have pre-planned the scenarios in your head - this role playing may save your life some day. Do the same for you home, check your smoke detector.
I hope you never have to use any of this in an emergency.
Dave
Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Paula - I recently emailed Chris Burch in service to ask if this was something they could do in my 27FB flying cloud. And the answer is no.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately - that window isn't a viable exit in an emergency (though the description provided above seems like a potential exit strategy). But am I supposed to throw my Bloodhound out the window first? In a true emergency - the confusion and panic would just make exit that much more complicated. Why NOT a door there - even if it opens to street side - it would OPEN and make for a much more likely exit.

I'm wondering what other options there could be? A ladder going up to the window inside and down to the ground outside? A human-sized "doggie door" below the exit window? A second window below the exit window for a closer to the ground escape? An Airstream body expert who could do the additional door?

I suppose thinking about popping out the bedroom window (over the a-frame) might be worth investigating, but the propane tanks and setup there aren't helpful.

I don't know why it's been in my mind recently but I'd really love to have a different solution for this. 😳
Old 10-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My exit window is above the desk in the rear of the AS. Our technique is pop the window, get up and sit on the desk, get feet out the window, then roll and slide to the bumper.

Wife, kids and dogs go out first...

We have big fire extinguishers on BOTH ends of the trailer to cover us as we bail out. Anything else is just stuff.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
https://bayareaairstream.com/inventory-custom.asp. They offer a 2 door custom unit and keep some in inventory new 30' FC 97K interesting to see the photos - looks very nic
Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, maybe we should have three doors?????? Things happen, but not to everyone. One person has a fire caused by ??????? And everyone suddenly needs/wants a second door.

Why did it catch fire? Was there a leak? Was a Mickey Mouse repair done to it? Was it damaged and never repaired? Were there any flammable materials stored too close to the water heater? [was it an Airstream?]

Maybe instead of a second door, we need a better/safer water heater.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but trying to look from the other side.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:33 AM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Of course, a lot can happen in the eight years since Paula started this thread. She could even have had an accident with her trailer, gotten a replacement, and then gotten a replacement SOB to live in.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Of course, a lot can happen in the eight years since Paula started this thread. She could even have had an accident with her trailer, gotten a replacement, and then gotten a replacement SOB to live in.
Hi, and she might have bought a truck that is so huge, she can't get in and out of it without a ladder.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Two doors can certainly be done. NASA has at least two less than two year old 30 footers that have two doors and no windows at Stennis Space Center in south Mississippi. They are used as test mules with removable equipment packages. The issue is that Airstream is not willing to build them for the rest of us. I would bet that NASA paid a scary amount of tax payer money for them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I have two doors and love the convenience. I also have 2 fire extinguishers, but I should do a refresh on how to properly use them.
LilNomad
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #27
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Here's one example of an Airstream dealership that would love to put a second door in your Airstream and a smile on your face after lightening your wallet a bit.

http://seattleairstream.com/ultimateairstreams.asp

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #28
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I believe the 1980s 34' had the option of having a door in the stateroom, very neato!