Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
TT or MH?

Which is easiest to drive, a 30 ft Airstream MH or a Suburban pulling a 28 ft Airstream?

My husband truly wants a MH because he thinks it is easier to use, drive, etc than towing a trailer. He likes the "all in one". (No "hitch-up).

I really want a tt. Both tt or mh would be Airstream.

We have had mhs, from Bs to 34ft, (all SOB) but have never towed a tt. We have towed boats and U-halls, etc.

We usually have no problems agreeing on everything, but this time we need help with our decision.

Thanks.
Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
There is no correct answer, but there are several factors beside ease of driving vs. towing. I’m sure you’ll get all kinds of opinions off this forum.

Try this approach: Identify all the major & minor factors, likes & dislikes, advantages & disadvantages, consider your individual wants vs. must have needs. Perhaps after compiling and evaluating a comprehensive list you will come to an agreeable compromise.
Good Luck
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Pat -- I wouldn't presume that "The Answer" is going to come out of this discussion. Airstream quality is in the average range for the RV industry, so whether you want the aluminum Airstream look or just the Airstream name on a slab-sided moho is a decision to make. See http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/ -- Airstream branded Mohos certainly come in both flavors.

One factor for me is mobility once arrived at our destination -- use the TV if pulling a TT vs. pull a toad if in a MH. One less engine to maintain (ie, "no" to the MH option) is a factor for me, but not enough to argue over with a MH owner.

I appreciate a moderate size TT that is large enough for convenience features and small enough to fit into some restrictive public park or national forest campsites. With a 25' TT I can camp in high season with more campsites open to me. We have usually been able to reserve a site on short notice with these choices being open. wheelinterested's Classic 27' FB Limited tweaks my curiousity but I'll stick with my choice.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I think you provided your own answer: " We have had mhs, from Bs to 34ft, (all SOB) but have never towed a tt."

This is not a rational, fact based, decision issue. It is a personal style and preference emotional issue.

A MH can weigh twice as much as a trailer rig which means a whole lot more 'stuff' you can take with you. It is an entirely different experience when going down the road and when setting up camp.

I notice that some folks migrate from TT to MH as they get older and less able to deal with hitchups and seek more 'civilized' camping. I don't see many going from MH to TT. So your going to a TT would be a big adventure and full of risk for you I think. That might be fun but do keep in mind that it would be quite a change that you might not like to stick with if you do it.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Let's see if I can post the pros and cons of both here.
MoHo pros:
Easier to drive and set up
convenient for using facilities while traveling (you can make a sandwich and use the toilet while driving)
you can take more "stuff" with you
you can use the generator to boondock, or camp in a parking lot enroute.
MoHo cons:
License and registration higher
must be insured (at higher cost)
another running gear to keep up and maintain, and things like tires are more expensive (and there are more of them)
You would need a vehicle to tow behind (toad) so you don't have to break camp to go sightseeing
more likely to be broken into while stored

TT Pros:
can be dropped off and use the tow vehicle for sightseeing
generally lighter, and easier to maintain with less mechanicals
less steps to climb to enter (important if you have bad knees, ask me how I know)
cheaper to register, and insurance is less costly
TT cons:
have to be hitched/unhitched when you get where you are going
can be a pain to manuever and back into parking spot
you can carry less "stuff"
Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I think an important consideration is how much you plan to travel vs camp. We have put over 42,000 miles on our 1984 310 Limited. If you plan to travel alot the MH is certainly less trouble. I have put a lot of effort and $ into the front end of our rig. At this point I would much rather drive (and feel safer in) the MH than I would our Yukon XL with a heavy trailer.

But if you plan to drive a short distance and then camp for a while (as to opposed to usually staying only a day or two) the TT might be better. Also the drive train on the MH needs to be used to remain reliable so how often you will use it matters too.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We went from the TT to MH and never looked back. I pull into a campsite and am off hiking in less than 30 minutes. When we are driving we can stop at a truck stop sleep and never have to get out for the night. My wife can roam and amuse herself while I drive. As for the extra drive train it is true but I do not have to use a tow vehicle for an around town car when I get home from camping.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
A big problem with a larger, more comfortable TT is having enough TV to pull it. When not traveling folks may not like having to tool around town in a 3/4-ton.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Overlander63 ...

"convenient for using facilities while traveling (you can make a sandwich and use the toilet while driving)"

Now THAT'S impressive!!

BH

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How about comfort control? Does a motorhome stay warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather while on the road? I don't know about MH but the trailer is hot or cold after driving in temperature extremes. Is it a better transport for pets? I think sitting up high and those giant windows and plush seating would be the ultimate in travel comfort. You wouldn't have to worry about towing or road conditions as much without a heavy trailer behind you?

I would love to try camping in a motorhome (a small one) We do like to use our TV to go many places you might not be able to take a trailer or motorhome, so we would have to hookup a car behind. We also like to leave the campsite separately at times, I wouldn't want to have to be moved from being settled when hubby decides he wants to explore a different area in the morning. I am not sure if not having to stop at a rest area is a good thing. I like taking the break and we have to get the dogs out too anyway.

photography
wheel interested is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I think that many good points were made in favor of the MH.

We looked at a 2000 gas LY yesterday. I sat in the driver's seat and did feel quite comfortable. The A (SOB) we had some years ago, was not as good for me. I did not feel comfortable when driving, so I didn't drive. The setup in the LY seemed better for driving. Not very different than our Suburban.

If we decide to get serious about the LY, we well both drive it then. If it had twin beds, I would definately want it.

I still would like to have a tt, up to 28', but would be happy with the mh too.

Thanks everyone!

Pat
Old 11-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
Overlander63 ...

"convenient for using facilities while traveling (you can make a sandwich and use the toilet while driving)"

Now THAT'S impressive!!

BH

You know, I was thinking the same thing. People here are so talented. But I would worry about eating that sandwich. I think I would make my own!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In all seriousness, it was always a travel trailer for us. I think the classic motorhomes are truely beautiful and if we had decided on a motorhome instead, I would have definately wanted one. I always thought an older Classic would have been what I wanted; however, I recently saw a mid-90's Classic and I must say that is the body style that I would have probably aspired to since Airstream decided to can the new Classic. I really like the more contemporary lines of the New Classic and the mid-90's harken to that design.

Having said that, I'm really pleased with our decision. We have the tow vehicle available for excursions from our camp sites anytime we are camped. We also visit Walt Disney World frequently and we forsee camping at Ft. Wilderness a LOT. At Ft. Wilderness you can rent a golf cart or bring your own to use to travel around the camp ground (the camp ground IS that big) and we purchased one after our first visit and took it with us a couple of weeks ago on our second visit. With a 3/4 ton tow vehicle we were able to tow our 30' Safari and "tote" our 1,000 lb golf cart in the bed of the truck without breaking a sweat. We didn't crank the truck except to position it for loading and unloading the golf cart and hooking and unhooking the trailer on this trip, but we will have it available on future trips when we have the golf cart and want to visit non-Disney attractions in the area. With a motorhome, we would have had to go with a small toad and leave the golf cart at home or leave the toad at home and tow a small trailer with the golf cart. This way we have all three: accomodations, street vehicle for excursions, and golf cart for in camp ground transportation.

Granted, most of the time the golf cart will stay at home when we aren't traveling to Ft. Wilderness, but we can haul other camping gear in the bed of the truck on those trips like plenty of fire wood, bi-cycles, etc.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
One way or the other...
He will end up towing something..
Either a TT or a boat.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
One way or the other...
He will end up towing something..
Either a TT or a boat.
Or a small vehicle so you don't have to take the MH to the grocery store or try to "thread the needle" in the Black Hills with a moho...

We had a slew of Airstream trailers, then a 1985 325 moho for three years and have returned to trailers. While using the facillities at the same time as making a sandwich IS attractive (well, maybe not at EXACTLY the same time... but... ) and it was great that the kids could watch TV or play Nintendo while going down the road, ultimately, the complexity of the systems on the mohos (and the small bed in ours) was what caused us to return to trailers. I figured if I had to pull a car anyway, I might as well get a comfortable tow vehicle and tow a trailer. If your moho ever breaks down, you're stuck. At least with a travel trailer, if your tow vehicle crashes (Heaven forbid) or throws a rod, lunches a tranny, whatever... if worst comes to worst, you have a place to stay while you're on the road, and you can always trade your tow vehicle off for another and hit the road again. When your moho drivetrain lunches on you, you're stuck for the duration, you're stuck for the duration living in the mechanic's shop, and if you don't have a heavy truck chassis mechanic's shop nearby, you're REALLY toast. There aren't any chassis or brake parts on a moho that aren't $200 a piece, and tires cost twice what they cost for your average 3/4 ton pickup. In other words, moho maintenance expenses can add up VERY quickly.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
When your moho drivetrain lunches on you, you're stuck for the duration, you're stuck for the duration living in the mechanic's shop, and if you don't have a heavy truck chassis mechanic's shop nearby, you're REALLY toast. There aren't any chassis or brake parts on a moho that aren't $200 a piece, and tires cost twice what they cost for your average 3/4 ton pickup. In other words, moho maintenance expenses can add up VERY quickly.

Roger
You can ask Thenewkid64 about this. Do a forum search for "the adventures of Brett & Edie" to see what can happen.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Or a small vehicle so you don't have to take the MH to the grocery store or try to "thread the needle" in the Black Hills with a moho...
It boils down to, "do you want to tow your camper with your automobile or tow your automobile with your camper."
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I have recently gone from TT to a small 25" Classic and do not pull anything but my boat once and a while. I can park the "250" most anywhere. It's short enough to be ok for the older parks and it has most of the features of the larger units. I'm really pleased with it but I'm older and have some health problems that were making the TT hard for me to manage the hook ups etc. Oh yeh, I almost forgot, I kept backing the 34" TT into stuff. Not good!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You know, I was thinking the same thing. People here are so talented. But I would worry about eating that sandwich. I think I would make my own!
What? Y'all don't have steering wheels and fridges in your bathrroms? I though Airstream motor homes had everything!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
David brought up something that is of concern to my husband: how hard is it to up and unhook?

My husband has health problems and will still do anything, but I don't want him to. Is there a hitch that a 65yo woman can handle? We are going to look at a 25ft Classic. I can do most things, but am not as strong as I once was. Are some hitches easier than others? IF we settle on a tt, we will want the best, safest, easiest hitch.

Another question: how do you who have no dinnette like the fold out table? Does it work well instead of the dinnette? The fold out table seems like it might be ok. anyone have one?

I have all these questions because we are going to look Monday. I think we have decided against a MH, mainly because of things like Roger mentioned. Our last big mh was in great condition, but it was because of the continuing work that was always done on it.

Pat