Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
One way or the other...
He will end up towing something..
Either a TT or a boat.
Or a small vehicle so you don't have to take the MH to the grocery store or try to "thread the needle" in the Black Hills with a moho...

We had a slew of Airstream trailers, then a 1985 325 moho for three years and have returned to trailers. While using the facillities at the same time as making a sandwich IS attractive (well, maybe not at EXACTLY the same time... but... ) and it was great that the kids could watch TV or play Nintendo while going down the road, ultimately, the complexity of the systems on the mohos (and the small bed in ours) was what caused us to return to trailers. I figured if I had to pull a car anyway, I might as well get a comfortable tow vehicle and tow a trailer. If your moho ever breaks down, you're stuck. At least with a travel trailer, if your tow vehicle crashes (Heaven forbid) or throws a rod, lunches a tranny, whatever... if worst comes to worst, you have a place to stay while you're on the road, and you can always trade your tow vehicle off for another and hit the road again. When your moho drivetrain lunches on you, you're stuck for the duration, you're stuck for the duration living in the mechanic's shop, and if you don't have a heavy truck chassis mechanic's shop nearby, you're REALLY toast. There aren't any chassis or brake parts on a moho that aren't $200 a piece, and tires cost twice what they cost for your average 3/4 ton pickup. In other words, moho maintenance expenses can add up VERY quickly.

Roger

Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
When your moho drivetrain lunches on you, you're stuck for the duration, you're stuck for the duration living in the mechanic's shop, and if you don't have a heavy truck chassis mechanic's shop nearby, you're REALLY toast. There aren't any chassis or brake parts on a moho that aren't $200 a piece, and tires cost twice what they cost for your average 3/4 ton pickup. In other words, moho maintenance expenses can add up VERY quickly.

Roger
You can ask Thenewkid64 about this. Do a forum search for "the adventures of Brett & Edie" to see what can happen.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Or a small vehicle so you don't have to take the MH to the grocery store or try to "thread the needle" in the Black Hills with a moho...
It boils down to, "do you want to tow your camper with your automobile or tow your automobile with your camper."
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
I have recently gone from TT to a small 25" Classic and do not pull anything but my boat once and a while. I can park the "250" most anywhere. It's short enough to be ok for the older parks and it has most of the features of the larger units. I'm really pleased with it but I'm older and have some health problems that were making the TT hard for me to manage the hook ups etc. Oh yeh, I almost forgot, I kept backing the 34" TT into stuff. Not good!
Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You know, I was thinking the same thing. People here are so talented. But I would worry about eating that sandwich. I think I would make my own!
What? Y'all don't have steering wheels and fridges in your bathrroms? I though Airstream motor homes had everything!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
David brought up something that is of concern to my husband: how hard is it to up and unhook?

My husband has health problems and will still do anything, but I don't want him to. Is there a hitch that a 65yo woman can handle? We are going to look at a 25ft Classic. I can do most things, but am not as strong as I once was. Are some hitches easier than others? IF we settle on a tt, we will want the best, safest, easiest hitch.

Another question: how do you who have no dinnette like the fold out table? Does it work well instead of the dinnette? The fold out table seems like it might be ok. anyone have one?

I have all these questions because we are going to look Monday. I think we have decided against a MH, mainly because of things like Roger mentioned. Our last big mh was in great condition, but it was because of the continuing work that was always done on it.

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We have the front gaucho, or fold-out couch, in our Overlander, and had the dual gauchos and slide out table in our Argosy. They give a lot more room in the trailer when it is folded out of the way.
As far as easy ways to hitch up, one thing that is a big help is the electric tongue jack. I installed one last year, after sugery, and it makes a huge difference not having to crank the trailer up and down.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
First, ease of driving varies. My inlaws once had a Class C MH with rear bath and kitchen that was horrible to drive. All over the road at 60mph. My wife drove it 2 miles and pulled off to let me take over. And she's not a timid driver.

A well set up TT combination is easy to drive once you get used to the length. With hitching, the hardest part is inserting the torsion bars and applying the tension. You may find it to be too much. However, look at a Hensley hitch, because the torsion bars stay set, as far as I know. It's a bit tricky at first, but most who have one get used to it. It is also the best and safest hitch, to be sure.

We love the foldout credenza table. We would not choose a dinette now. It's flexible in its configuration, and wider than most dinette tables. We keep two lightweight wooden folding chairs (bought ours at IKEA) bungee corded in the closet.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Does a Hensley require less physical effort than the other hitches? The heaviest part of the Reeses dual cam is lifting the hitch with shank and ball into the car receiver. Our new one is heavier than the last and it takes me some real grunt power but once it is attached we do not remove it for the trip duration. As overlander says you definitely want an electric tongue jack. The trick to putting on the bars is to crank up the rear of the car with the jack to take tension off them until they are hooked up.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I love my trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
A big problem with a larger, more comfortable TT is having enough TV to pull it. When not traveling folks may not like having to tool around town in a 3/4-ton.
...but baby, you hit the nail on the head with this observation. Little did I know that my 3/4 ton Suburban would turn a Lexus SUV into an "economy car"

But actual truth is that I've learned to love my big honkin' heavy Chevy! NO ONE tailgates that sucker and I find that people rarely cut me off in traffic. I've also become a kinder, gentler less aggressive driver too (just to mess with people's heads). I do dislike how many people with big trucks turn into total a...holes, so I've gone to the other extreme.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Pat,
Might I suggest that you and your husband rent a travel trailer for a week, take it out, try hooking/unhooking, towing/parking, etc. You have had a motorhome, and no doubt know what that is all about including the toad. I doubt you will be able to rent an Airstream, but an SOB will give you an idea.
As for being able to, I have a couple of friends from Las Vegas, both in their 80's, who joined us and 32 other couples on the second group going on the Golden Anniversary Tour last year through Canada. We moved every 2 or 3 days for 59 days. They hooked up alone, unhooked alone most of the time. They worked as a team. Mentally, they are extremely sharp, however, physically, challenged to say the least. They do the chores adequately, however, I will be the first to tell you, at 54 years of age with a bad back, I enjoy the chores of motorhoming more than I do trailering. There are times when the MH will not go where I want, and I use the trailer then. Hmmmmm.....maybe thats the idea that could be of use....one of each?
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #26
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
David brought up something that is of concern to my husband: how hard is it to up and unhook?

Is there a hitch that a 65yo woman can handle? We are going to look at a 25ft Classic. I can do most things, but am not as strong as I once was. Are some hitches easier than others? IF we settle on a tt, we will want the best, safest, easiest hitch.

Another question: how do you who have no dinnette like the fold out table? Does it work well instead of the dinnette? The fold out table seems like it might be ok. anyone have one?

Pat
Pat, the 25' is an excellent size, not too small that you'll feel crowded, but not so large that it's unwieldy or overwhelming to tow. I don't have a dinette in our new trailer and don't miss it at all. In our 23' Safari years ago we had the front couch/fold out table and it worked very well.

Regarding hitches, a standard friction control drawbar and ball mount will weigh on the order of 25 lbs or so. That's the heaviest part, and as Carol mentioned, the hardest part is getting it into the receiver on the truck. If you have an electric tongue jack, there's not much manual labor involved in hitching up at all. It takes practice, but it's not difficult.

Roger
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have both most of the thime we prefer the MH (SOB) with the toad.
I would think there would be someone in your area that could show you what is involved with the TV/TT hook up. If you have the electric jack and know a few tricks it is not that hard. If you don't know the tricks is can be difficult.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
I would think there would be someone in your area that could show you what is involved with the TV/TT hook up. If you have the electric jack and know a few tricks it is not that hard. If you don't know the tricks is can be difficult.

Garry
I live 20 miles away from them, they have but to ask...
Also, our trailer is stored less than a mile from the Airstream dealer.