Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Truck and trailer worked great, but all toys broke

We just got back from camping at our property and I will report the truck and trailer did a fine job. Everything I use on the property seem to break. My generator went down two days before we left so I borrowed one for a replacement. Once we got to the property the other generator went down and I fixed it only for it to break again. My tractor would not run correctly, and The roto tiller quit working, I rebuilt three carburetors to keep things moving along. The Airstream trailer and the truck worked wonderfully. I think I would have lost it if anything else would have broken. I did not let any of it discourage me. I just did not get the projects finished I wanted to, so we went out and took rides and visited the sites.

I am getting ready to head out again so maybe things will work better. I definitly need to venture out on a non project / work vacation... 99% of the time we boon dock so when we go to a campground with full hook ups it becomes a very nice treat.

My son took the trailer to Bonnaroo and he said the young folks constantly complimented him on the Airstream. My 73 is not a show case because I bought it with some huge dents in it. He still got complimented. I was complimented on the trailer 3 times. Each time I was complimented I was at a rest area. I guess airstream catches peoples eyes.

Brian
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Brian; next time don't ask Murphy to go with. He's no help!
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
My son took the trailer to Bonnaroo and he said the young folks constantly complimented him on the Airstream. My 73 is not a show case because I bought it with some huge dents in it. He still got complimented. I was complimented on the trailer 3 times. Each time I was complimented I was at a rest area. I guess airstream catches peoples eyes.
Brian
Yes they do catch people's eyes. We've been complimented by people of all ages, and have given tours of our Airstreams dozens of times in parking lots, rest stops, and campgrounds all over the country.

The usual comments are "They still make these?", or "I always wanted an Airstream", or "My uncle/dad,grandfather had an Airstream". Just last week as we were returning from a rally, we stopped at a store and parked the Bambi in the front. When we went in, I heard one of the clerks say "Wow! There's one of those cool old/new/old trailers!".

Last year, while over in Washington, DC, we pulled into a big parking lot and I noticed a police officer park behind us, get out of her patrol car, and approach us. At first, I thought it had something to do with a questionable maneuver I made at that last intersection. From over 25 years in law enforcement, I didn't ask if there was a problem, and just said "good morning, officer". She apologized for bothering us, and said she just had a few questions about the Airstream. She said one of her dreams was to own an Airstream, and take her aunt across the country with it. Of course, she got the full tour.

Our kids love them, too. The 68 Trade Wind once served as a playhouse, and then 'party central' for one of our daughters. Every time we run into one of her old friends, they ask us about the Airstream.

Hope you have better luck the next time you visit your property. Looks like "Murphy's Law" was in full effect that day.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Same experience with an Officer on my drive. He stopped at the end of the drive...I was sure he was there to remind me of my violation...as my AS had been in and out of my drive for 3 over months....never back to storage. I was washing and said Hello, Officer. He got out and proceded to tell me of his AS dream. I showed him around and talked with him for about a half hour...then...."have a nice day!"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you can find some way to buy fuel for occasional used tools at a real boat dock pump you might reduce some of the problems. No ethanol and an added stabilezer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote