Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Tri axles and E Z Pass

If you tow a tri axle trailer and use any form of E Z Pass you should pay particular attention to your toll statement.

About half of the toll authorities I have encountered with my E Z pass charge the wrong toll for a tri axle trailer when towed by a pickup or SUV. The E Z Pass equipement is set up to consider any vehical with more than 4 axles as a tractor trailer and thus the higher rate. These errors in classification vary from authority to authority.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge charges double the posted toll for any non commerical vehical towing a trailer, one two or three axles.

The Maine Turnpike is closer to 3 times the posted toll.

While you can have these errors corrected by writing your E Z Pass authority it will take far longer than just going through a cash lane. So if you are not in a habit of checking your statement or on a road that you do not know the correct toll it's a good idea to pay cash.

So far I have not had a problem with New York, Pa. or the Potomic River and Annopolis bridges.

If you have had similar experiences with other toll roads or bridges add to this tread

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I live in Illinois. I have an IPASS. Last trip to Indiana along I294 toll the automatic open road tolling charged me $1.65 three times and $3.00 one time. I was towing with a dually. Clearly the system is not fool proof. Next time I will use the manual lanes but charge it on the Ipass.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
SunPass in Florida can do this as well, although they seem to be charging strictly per axle. A car is $1, but a car pulling a single axle trailer is $1 per axle, or $3 .