Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
IMHO there are several factors that work togetherto makeup this "perfect storm". Years ago every fast food restaurant had trash cans at the doors AND strategically placed at every driveway and at midpoints if the parking lot was large. now? Only if they are required by law, and the local owner will ALL go to a city council meeting and cry "but they dump stuff from other chains in my cans too" Well duh! So I need to throw out a Wendys cup tomake room for the Starbucks I just bought. Guess whose coffeecup landed in Wendys trash?

lack of public pressure - shame and pride actually DO work (for a little while anyway). So ask your local TV station to do a report on any particularly bad situation.

Campgrounds - How many times have you arrived and checked in - and the staff doesn't tell you where to dump your trash? Holiday Travel in Va Beach actually always offers campers trash bags and picks up trash by the lot post twice daily..... I use the dumpster because the squirrels are the vandals who beat the collection wagon every time. (I report with glee that a pair of bald eagles have recently taken to hunting in the park.)

Oh, and I just put a waste basket IN the truck.... because I don't throw out trash and can turn my whole cab into a rolling trash can in three days.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Oregon State Parks are fantastic, but their campgrounds have centrally located dumpsters for trash. Every rest room has little trash can and a big sign that says, "Restroom Trash Only." But the dumpsters, they are are so far away... Yep, all kinds of trash winds up in the restroom trash cans. Ah well. I can move on and enjoy my day or get heartburn over it. I choose the former.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
You know, pigs are quite smart. No reason to slander them like that.

Mike

Hahaha! Good point. I hereby offer my apology to all the smart pigs our there!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Great discussion, but extra bonus points to BoldAdventure for the Family Guy Grinds My Gears reference! (Insert sound of Peter Griffin laughing! [emoji23])
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #25
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Yes it is sad to find many of the National Forest and BLM campground areas trashed, mainly because a percentage of folks are slobs. But what irritates me is when I pay $25 to $75(CA) for a maintained State Park campground with rangers, maintenance crews and host/work campers and find the sites unkempt. Burnt garbage in the fire pits, trash around the site and simply not maintained. They are very good at collecting fees but lax in cleaning the grounds.

I like AZ state parks where the hosts rake the area into a feng shui garden!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
It may only be a "Old Hippie" motto but wherever we go with the ZO-mobile, we make sure we leave the land in better condition that the way we found it. If possible we take our trash home with us.
It does not take a lot of effort for everyone to show respect for the land. I just think many were never taught it
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yes it is sad to find many of the National Forest and BLM campground areas trashed, mainly because a percentage of folks are slobs. But what irritates me is when I pay $25 to $75(CA) for a maintained State Park campground with rangers, maintenance crews and host/work campers and find the sites unkempt. Burnt garbage in the fire pits, trash around the site and simply not maintained. They are very good at collecting fees but lax in cleaning the grounds.

I like AZ state parks where the hosts rake the area into a feng shui garden!

We are fortunate to stay at a local Army COE campground that is treated the same way. Every time we pull in it looks like a crew has been at the site with a fine tooth rake and made it absolutely brand new and lovely! That act alone must inspire guests to be more thoughtful with trash.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We have stayed at Oregon State Parks for multiple days at the same park and have observed that every time a camper departs there is an attendant cleaning the site within the hour for the next guest.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
I don't think it is your GUESTS are lazy, just uncertain. You located small trash cans that don't meet the needs of your Guests.

They are likely thinking why are these trash cans so undersized? Management must be lazy or cheap in their selection.

As a designer in the hospitality business, it is about customer service. Provide what meets the needs our your guests. If you are not, they will definitely let you know where you are falling short.
People are LAZY. I used to take care of all the Wendys restaurants in the Tri-cites are I am from. It would take us 15 min to pick up the trash around the buildings and parking lots before we could even get the mowers unloaded to start. That is even after the employes would do an hourly check of parking lots for trash. I took care of them from 2000 to 20013. People have definitely gotten worse about dumping their trash wherever they want. There were trash cans all around parking lots too!
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I LOVE the "poop fairy" picture.

If it comes on Postit pads, I'll order 500 so as to leave gently funny reminders. And on that same topic, ever notice that owners of the 6 lb. minidogs do police the area while many people with 80 lb. dogs think their animals leave invisible, unsmellable doody?

Paula