Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
More O. Winston Link

"Hot Shot Eastbound" - an amazing photo!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Yep, J Class. That's it! I need to run down to Roanoke (I live only 3 hours from there) and check that out. I've seen it on Youtube videos. What a beautiful engine!

We did go up to Strausburg PA to their train museum a while back. They have a lot of nice stuff up there.

Bob, that's awesome you got to ride that fast on one! I think the fastest I've been on a steam train was about 35mph. The ones at Cass, WV, are lucky to hit 12mph...but those are Shay engines with the big jackscrew that drives all the wheels so they can climb steep grades.

I've seen that photo in a WV magazine....supposedly it was taken at a drive in somewhere in southern WV in the 50's and the train went by during the movie. At least that's what the magazine said....

Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
"Hot Shot Eastbound" - an amazing photo!

This photo is in "The Last Steam Railroad in America", all Link prints, if you look real close you can see his reflection in the rear view mirror.

Very interesting photograph contrasting the "jet age" with the era of Steam Trains.

Whats really amazing is how he set-up his night shots with hundreds of synchronized arrays of flash bulbs and reflectors.

Another famous photo....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SwimHole.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	158630  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Sailboats

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
For me, one of the most memorable automobiles has to be the Tucker. I will never forget seeing one for the first time . . . it was at the Momence, IL Gladiola Antique Car Show around 1977. The car was whisper quiet as it was driven onto the show field . . . it was either jonquil yellow or spring yellow.

My second choice for most memorable automobile would be the Studebaker Lark VIII Convertible. My friends call my 1960 Lark VIII Regal Convertible homely (its unrestored), but it is so homely that I find it cute.

My neighbors had owned a white 1960 Lark VIII convertible through the early 1970s; and I gradually came to admire the car . . . purchased a jonquil yellow convertible like the one in the advertising postcard above (mine needs total restoration).

I have always enjoyed train travel, and was introduced to that mode of travel as a child when we traveled from Kankakee, IL to Carbondale, IL on a frequent basis as it took so much less time than driving (before Interstate 57 opened). My most memorable train is the Bay Ara Rapid Transit traings. My cousin introduced me to BART travel in the late 1970s, and I always make it a point to take the BART somewhere when I visit the San Francisco Bay Area.

My favorite form of boat for travel is the horse-drawn barge. There are several of these attractions operating in the Upper Midwest, and I had the opportunity to take one of the tours while on the 1999 VAC Wagon Wheels Caravan.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you are interested in those photos, the O Winston Link museum is next door to the museum that houses the J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Yep, J Class. That's it! I need to run down to Roanoke (I live only 3 hours from there) and check that out. I've seen it on Youtube videos. What a beautiful engine!

We did go up to Strausburg PA to their train museum a while back. They have a lot of nice stuff up there.

Bob, that's awesome you got to ride that fast on one! I think the fastest I've been on a steam train was about 35mph. The ones at Cass, WV, are lucky to hit 12mph...but those are Shay engines with the big jackscrew that drives all the wheels so they can climb steep grades.

I've seen that photo in a WV magazine....supposedly it was taken at a drive in somewhere in southern WV in the 50's and the train went by during the movie. At least that's what the magazine said....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
This photo is in "The Last Steam Railroad in America", all Link prints, if you look real close you can see his reflection in the rear view mirror.

Very interesting photograph contrasting the "jet age" with the era of Steam Trains.

Whats really amazing is how he set-up his night shots with hundreds of synchronized arrays of flash bulbs and reflectors.

Another famous photo....

Bob
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
This pilot flies this beautiful plane in to the Airplanes & Airstreams rally every year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Star.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	740.7 KB
ID:	158652  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
That sure looks like a Globe Swift. They were nice little planes. A mini fighter to attract the former fighter pilots back from WWII. Sporty little birds. I'd like to have one
Old 05-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Kevin:

My very first car that I learned to drive in was a 1952 Studebaker coup. At the time I thought it was the ugliest car in the world. I wish I still had it when I look back at the past.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas

My first car, a '57 Nash Metroploitan. Fugly but it was cheap to drive anyway.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Kevin:

My very first car that I learned to drive in was a 1952 Studebaker coup. At the time I thought it was the ugliest car in the world. I wish I still had it when I look back at the past.

My learner was a 53 Commander Starliner Coupe, Dad loved 'em, raved about how Raymond Loewy was years ahead of his time.

I run into this little number at the local car shows a lot....love his display.

This is us.....

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This thread has been dead for almost 2 years. What happened? Has no one got that nostalgic bug any more?

It's winter time and most of us are not camping, so lets get some entertainment going here to revive this thread that Fly had the good idea to start.

Maybe it will give us some fresh ideas for next years grand tours.

One place I want to go back to before that last big trip out of this world, is to the unbelievable picturesque country of the great north.

Here is a short enjoyable PP presentation of past and present of a must-see area.

The White Pass - Yukon Railway - YouTube

This is how they prepare for your visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...BSuNz3g0oA#t=2

Plan your trip now!

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
So the biggest, baddest cargo airplane only flew one time and I wasn't at the controls for that one.

Name:	Shades of Howard.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	605.3 KB
ID:	201808
ProPride
NōVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Some time ago, we were touring in the mid-west (I loose track of time and place) when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a Studebaker in a repair shop. A quick trip around the block and a place to park the Airstream and we were treated to a 1947 convertible. It was beautiful and the mechanic was able to fill us in on the history. After hearing the problem I told him IMHO it needed a water pump. That should have fixed it as I believe a lack of cooling was causing vapor lock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3392.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	201812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3393.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	201813  

Name:	IMG_3394.JPG