Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Trailer Anti-theft devices

Anyone with ideas on theft deterring devices to protect our Airstreams, please share. A few words of why you think is good, any experience with them and especially a link to where to buy it/them would be helpful. (If there is another threat specifically on this, kindly move this post there)
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey Vitaver,

There are many devices and much more opinions here on the forums. Do a search for it and read away. It's s personal choice as to which one or ones you chose. IMO, more is better.

Couper lock
Ball sizers between the tires with locks
Ball mount lock
Chain thru the tires and around axle
Remove jack fuse
Put stabilizers down
Electronic warning with notification
Tire locks
Security fencing???
GPS tracking

The more time it takes may deter thieves.
If it's out of sight, then the don't know its there.

All it takes is a chain around the a-frame to haul it away. Thieves are brazen also, and quick.

Try local auto stores, Ebay, Amazon, trailer stores, dealers, etc... for pricing and availability.

Do you have security for your TV as well? I had my 350 lock punched last month, so I did something about that. PM me if you would like to know my after market device.

Sid
Old 11-24-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Thank you. I am looking in Amazon for these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A281M0V62UKNFS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2WLM6HYSGFU68

Besides the pin lock for the hitch a the TV (same key as my truck), and the wheel locks sissor type, with a lock. These two I already have. I like the idea of removing the jack fuse, although it can be manually operated. If they make a lock to block access to the hitch screw, that could be cool, as it will be (hopefully) installed almost permanently.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I've seen threads on the subject in the past so there is plenty of existing discussion on Air Forums and probably on lots of other RV forums too.

I haven't chimed in previously but seeing the internet links above make me think... WOW!

I guess everyone's situation is different. I can imagine scenarios that would merit a heavy duty theft deterrent. What is/are your scenario(s)?

Theft from off-site storage? From your house? From a campground? How long is your Airstream unattended? Hours, days, weeks, months?

My simple theft deterrent is to remove the hitch from the tow vehicle, attach it to the trailer. I don't have a picture so it's clear as mud I'm sure. Imagine the hitch coupler attached to the trailer and just hanging from the ball. I turn the coupler to the side so the 2" shank isn't in the way. Then I reinstall the locking receiver pin and the lock on the hitch ball lever. Cost was probably less than $30 for the locks. It doesn't prevent all theft but it keeps the casual away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.png
Views:	155
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	275890  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This is what I use. Anything to slow them down.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/0...-security.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Trailer Anti-theft devices

I like the proven industries hitch. I also am getting a Brahma Wheel lock (http://brahmalock.com/) and also a spot trace. The spot trace is a $50 (on sale now) GPS unit smaller than a deck of cards, that you mount on top or under AC unit cover. You can wire it for 12v DC as well. Then for $9.99 a month you can monitor any movements of the vehicle. It will send you a text or email if the vehicle moves.

I am doing this while we store our AS in a public storage facility, until we can build our own garage at home for the AS.

I feel this triple system, the proven industries hitch, the wheel lock, the gps, plus insurance will serve well.

Web link for spot trace: http://www.findmespot.com/holiday/la...mvUaApn18P8HAQ

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 11-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That's a good deal for the Spot Trace.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Anyone with ideas on theft deterring devices to protect our Airstreams, please share. A few words of why you think is good, any experience with them and especially a link to where to buy it/them would be helpful. (If there is another threat specifically on this, kindly move this post there)
I really appreciate your question - had the same when I first purchased my 2016 Classic.

I decided on the Brahma Wheel Lock - similar to the so-called Denver Boot used by many police departments to immobilize cars owned by parking ticket scofflaws.

https://youtu.be/T0w5BIi9M1M

Easy to use. Looks imposing. A very satisfying purchase. Good luck. Dennis
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
One of these would do the trick........place near hitch and keep hungry.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	main-qimg-61ede9d92e1a797df24816b45eb3ab08-c.jpeg
Views:	447
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	275907  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I don't think there is anything that will stop a determined thief. The best you can do is make life difficult for him so that he decides to go to something easier. For most other brands, there is not enough stuff in one to make the theft of a ratty-looking rig worth it. Not so for Airstreams. There is enough aluminum there to make the theft of even the worst-looking coach worth it to a determined thief.

There are a couple of threads on this subject here, and one of them includes a video of a "thief" stealing a trailer in less than a minute - and he even hooks up the lights. The trailer "stolen" had a hitch lock. The biggest problem for most owners is that whatever they do to make the trailer harder to steal also makes it harder for them to take it out.

I used to worry about this, since we're full-timers, and a thief who steals our coach has also stolen our entire house. In the more than two years that we've been on the road, though, I've come to realize that thefts of recreational vehicles are not crimes of opportunity but well planned. That means that the thief has to first know about the target coach, then figure out how to get it away, and then figure out what to do with it. Fulltimers tend to move around quite a bit, and we hang around our coaches when we're parked. A thief can't even go by whether a tow vehicle is by the coach, as one person could be home while the other is out shopping.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Update... installed the brahma wheel lock, and I like it. I do wonder if cutting tire could defeat it. Seller stated that because of steel belts or plastic belts, it would be very hard, and as long as tire stays on, it can't be beat, even if deflated.

Also, installed spot trace in hidden place. Can't tell it's there, not easily accessible. I really like that, as it sends daily email that all is well, and when it moves, it also sends email and text that it is moving.

Wheel pictured below:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1482289593.269328.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	276940

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich