Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
TradeWind Lifesaver

I finally was able to take our '66 TW for a test tow. We bought the TW this past April however, I had been on disability and all I could do was tinker with it until I was off disability. I am off disability and now retired. So before taking any camping journeys I needed to get a feel of towing. Fortunately we live in foothill/mountain area east of Sacramento, Ca. This gives me a variance of terrain for my test drive. So with the WDH hopefully adjusted correctly I began my ride from our 3000' altitude home to a windy country road 8 miles down into town (Placerville) which is I believe under 2000'. That was easy. The TW followed perfectly. So I selected another country road that would take me back up to 3500' with some steeper climbs but all the way an uphill drive. It was a warm day and I wanted to see how my TV, a 1971 Buick Centurion convertible (yes, the top was down) would pull without heating up. At the 3500' level and with all systems go I headed to US 50 East. This part of 50 is a steady 15 mile climb to the turn-off that would loop around to another road that would bring me back down and home. The Buick's 455 surged onto (the drama is about to come) the 4 lane mountain highway with just moderate pressure on the accelerator. I tried to settle into 55 mph but even uphill the Buick was not happy until I cruised her at 60+. With about a mile to go for my highway exit I came up upon a vehicle traveling at 55. With a short distance to go I settled back to 55. However, the big engine and the big nut behind the wheel grew impatient so we pulled out and began to pass the slower vehicle. I pressed the accelerator to the floor and we cleared the slower car in a very short distance. I pulled back into the slow lane and eased up on the gas. The speedometer read 65, 66, 67, 68.......am I going downhill!!. No, the road is still climbing and so is the speedometer! OH, WHERE IS SUPERMAN when you need him. The freeway exit is approaching...think....THINK...if I turn off the ignition I lose power steering and brakes...BRAKES! The TW HAS BRAKES! I am going to LIVE! But I must plan. The exit ramp declines but it is long and more importantly STRAIGHT. I shall line my rig in a straight approach the turn off the ignition then apply the TW's brakes. Criminately, 71 mph!... Ignition off.... A sudden lurch, apply brakes.........Wow those TW brakes would stop a locomotive! A safe stop with room to spare! After a couple of deep breaths I checked under the hood. All looks normal. I start the engine. Normal idle. I then pulled into a nearby parking area and calmed down for 15 minutes. I back-tracked in my head to a few days earlier when I installed a new after market carburator on the car. With the engine off I manually pulled back the throttle on the carb and discovered that at full throttle a linkage 'elbow' hung up on the manifold. Wow, I think, am I fortunate that happened TOWING a great set of brakes. Our TradeWind is a life saver.
Neil
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello anholman,
That just shows you that in a panic situation ,you had the cool head to
scope the situation and plan an escape and a way to stop your rig.Looks
like the buick can indeed handle the whole package well. thats is why a matched tv and trailer is so very important as well as the trailer having
excellent brakes that work.Those aftermarket carbs can get you like that
on a stock intake manifold .I say fine job on stopping your rig ,safely.

scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet sticky throttle on tow rig

wow, i liked your story. w.o.t. os a good thing to check after any carb installation. you could aLSO HAVE LOST THE ENGINE IF IT STUCK IN NEUTRAL
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Whew!

MY heartrate went to 140 just reading your story. Congrats and good thinking on the trailer brakes! Karma for you my friend!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Survival always earns applause and Karma. Good thinking and doing. Your one to ride the river with.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote