Old 04-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Just for information , I don't believe there are any tractors under 40 hp still made in the USA , no matter what the brand . Just another thing we gave away. FWIW , I have an '87 Kabota that I bought new and have not had a single thing go wrong with it .

Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I have a 1959 Massey Ferguson TO-35 deluxe which has 35 horsepower, power steering, two stage clutch, three point hitch, remote hydraulics, PTO, and front loader. I paid $2000, plus $1500 to add a auxiliary hydraulic pump for the loader plus various repairs.

It will happily do everything you mention. One question is how much area you will be working with, a skid steer or smaller Kubota, will be more maneuverable in tight spaces.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Older Tractor Brakes on a Boat Ramp

I don't want to hijack this thread but the first hand knowledge and experiance round here is too much to pass up.

I 'm thinking about getting a used tractor primarily for launching and retrieving my boats at typical ramps (say 2700 lb. max. at approx. 15 to 20 degree ramps)

What say you about braking adequacy to hold on ramps for a minute or two until I get the wheel chocks in place??

Background motive is to drive a low gas using car (a little car) to the lake (100 miles one way) and keep the tractor there for personal ramp duty. (Might even do some others' boats for cash $$$.)

Will the brakes hold or does the tractor stand a chance of rolling in backwards???

Any comments about engine size etc. etc. are appreciated.

Thanks, Ed
Old 04-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Ed,
I'm sure my tractor could do this. I go up and down levees that steep draging logs etc. Depending on the surface of the ramp traction could be an issue. My tractor has fluid filled rear tires so I get very good traction on my ground.

You can flip a tractor over onto it's back if you apply too much power heading up hill with a load behind. I will often back up steep grades.

The parking brakes on my tactor are not so great so you would need one person on the tractor and another person to chock the wheels.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I'm happy with the Kubota

I bought a Kubota B7100 hydrostatic 4wd diesel tractor back in '97 and have done everything you have listed. It's something like 16-20hp and can't say that I've ever run outa steam. I've welded up a three-point to 2" receiver attachment and also use it to squeeze the A/S into its cozy parking spot. When I lived in Utah it plowed many a driveway and local street with the bucket or a 5' rear blade. I welded a hook on the back of the bucket and have used it to move railroad ties, truck transmissions and anything else I don't want to wrench my back over. I've used it to tow small airplanes at our family FBO in Montana as well as keeping the ramp clear where the bigger plows couldn't get. I kept my evenings and weekends plenty busy earning beer money doing word-of-mouth jobs, both snow and dirt, for people where they couldn't get a bigger tractor through their gates or didn't want to replace sod when a skid-steer tore it up. I've got a 10kw PTO generator "just in case" and lately have acquired a 4' 3-blade rear PTO finish mower. I pull a 4' box scraper with teeth to tear up old sod or make ready for new yard. And for some odd reason, every time I crank it up and bring it around to grease it or put it on the trailer to take it to a job, my male neighbors seem to use it as a reason to socialize (and ultimately ask if they can drive it!). Honestly, I don't know what some guys do without something like this.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I will jump on the 8n bandwagon. I have a 52 8n and love it. I would only purchase one if you are mechanically inclined. Not that they are prone to breaking down, just that it's a 50+ year old machine that needs maintainance. If you can work on it, it can be purchase and maintained for a fraction of the cost of other options and it looks good too. All parts are readily available. WWW.Just8ns.com I even use it to move the Airstream around the property.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy
Honestly, I don't know what some guys do without something like this.
And gals too!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I had a Ford Hydro drive tractor for a while, and was very disappointed. I think I may have been asking too much of it, as I was trying to perform tasks suited to its size, and not its power. Traded it in on a Kubota diesel 4x4, and had zero problems with it. My friend has a 25hp John Deere diesel AWD Hydro drive he got from the same place as Pick, and loves it. I have used it also, and it seems a good tractor. IIRC, it is a 5250, or maybe a 2525--I hate getting old.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Cub Cadet Compact Tractor. Or a Kabota.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
John Deere 4000 or 5000 series tractor.
Not else comes close.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I will second or is it fourth the Kubota's I have a several over the years, bought and sold them as we needed them and all of them are still in daily use by plumbers and landscapers. We currently have five tractors and a backhoe with the youngest tractor (backhoe is a 89 Case 560K) being a 1974 JD 2020 series II oldest being a 51 Farmall Super A...kind of handy...we don't have to remove implements just use the tractor that has what you want on it. Another possibility would be to get the smaller tractor you need for everyday use and rent a bigger machine on the weekends for the heavy projects.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
. . .Have to add to this post that you can rent a Bobcat and get a ton of yard work done in a weekend for a fraction of it's cost...that's what we did

So, can an "ordinary" person who rents a Bobcat for a weekend of leveling and dirt/gravel moving work safely operate one? What knowledge/experience is necessary? We need this kind of work too, and have joked about buying one, but more seriously discussed renting one, but we are apprehensive about operation. Discussion, those of you who use them? This might be informative for Yukionna too. Thanks. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I believe all of the smaller diesel powered Deere's are assembled in Augusta, Georgia. (2000 through 5000 series) I think the 6000's are done in Europe, and 7, 8, and 9000 series done in Iowa/Illinois.

Some of the smaller Deere's back in the 80's and 90's (6,7,8,900 series) were contracted to Yanmar in Japan. They were Deere designed tractors, but manufactured to their specs, by Yanmar.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #28
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
So, can an "ordinary" person who rents a Bobcat for a weekend of leveling and dirt/gravel moving work safely operate one? What knowledge/experience is necessary? We need this kind of work too, and have joked about buying one, but more seriously discussed renting one, but we are apprehensive about operation. Discussion, those of you who use them? This might be informative for Yukionna too. Thanks. ~G
I rented a Bob Cat twice before. It took a little getting used to but if you've operated a forklift or driven a tractor and are reasonably astute about mechanical things you could do it. Ask them if you can rent it in the yard for half an hour. It'll look better if you go get it with a 3/4 ton pickup. Once I used one to clean up after I'd torn the porch off a house. The other time I actually did some digging with it to divert the rain around a friends wet basement. Aa whole day. On her nickel. It was more fun than Wally World.