Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thnxs for the link Al. Assuming the info is correct it looks like a bind in the pedal pivot, shaft/bushing, is the root problem. Makes sense.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Boy I would love to see an effected throttle. I would want to see the actual position of the magnet after the problem has happened.

It is hard to envision that the bearing if used on a regular bases could become so defective that it could not overcome the spring tension of the return spring. Look at the difference in the 2 moment arms. The mechanical advantage favors the spring. I can see the magnet or the sencor, which ever is the upper part falling free and thus feeding a false signal to the CPU.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Boy I would love to see an effected throttle. I would want to see the actual position of the magnet after the problem has happened.

It is hard to envision that the bearing if used on a regular bases could become so defective that it could not overcome the spring tension of the return spring. Look at the difference in the 2 moment arms. The mechanical advantage favors the spring. I can see the magnet or the sencor, which ever is the upper part falling free and thus feeding a false signal to the CPU.
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Well we are getting somewhere now.

They have clearly discounted the floor mat, corrosion, and the return spring.

A floor mat Behind the pedal, as suggested by Toyota, would tend to hold the pedal off the higher throttle settings. Corrosion would be clearly evident upon inspection of any of the failed systems. The return spring, as demonstrated in the video, has significant pressure to overcome all but a clear mechanical jam, again that would be evident on any of the failed systems.

It also appears unlikely that the sensor, that is connected to the wiring could dislodge and fall out of position. Any disconnect of the sensor would cut off the signal to the CPU.

Since there are several wires leading to the sensor we can assume there an electric circuit in the sensor that detects changes in the magnet field induced by the magnet position with respect to the sensor. Could that circuit be failing and feeding a false signal to the CPU?

The fact that the cases reported to date all seam to be sudden and significant in reaction and showing no evidence of mechanical failure put one back to thinking electrical.

Unfortunately all too many electrical circuits of this nature are POTTED in had plastic so investigation of the individual components, when the circuit is opened, is almost impossible. External bench testing would determine if the sensor does or does not work. A yes or no game and replacement of the defective part without a good explanation.

At least when the GM windshield wipers failed, assuming it did not set the car on fire, you could get inside and see the broken foil on the board and fix them

Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #105
_

. , .
this was briefly mentioned earlier by anther poster, but passed over.

with drive by WIRE systems, depressing the brake pedal should CUT the accelerator input...correct???

in daze of old one could HOLD down the brake pedal and REV the engine on automatics...

on my drive by wire car (with an AT) that's not possible, the accelerator input cuts out while the brake is held down...

IF the toyota system doesn't operate that way, the issue would seem to go beyond sticky mechanical parts.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

Since there are several wires leading to the sensor we can assume there an electric circuit in the sensor that detects changes in the magnet field induced by the magnet position with respect to the sensor. Could that circuit be failing and feeding a false signal to the CPU?

The fact that the cases reported to date all seam to be sudden and significant in reaction and showing no evidence of mechanical failure put one back to thinking electrical.
ETCS-I system

1) Electronic Feedback loop controls are not present. Whenever the brake pedals are depressed, the ECU must monitor the engine speed and vehicle speed. If the speeds have not been reduced, the ECU must cut out the following:
i) ignition to the coils.
ii) fuel cuts to the injectors
iii) combination of ignition and fuel cuts.
Toyota ECU fails to include i,ii, and iii. The domestic American cars have these safety feedback control systems built in.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If I heard right that ,1998 system, was Throttle Cable Controlled with the ECU reading and interpreting the cable position and in turn setting the throttle plate. It make no mention of controlling the fuel injection timing ot duration, the second have of power application.

At the end of the video he mentions a FAIL SAFE override that I believe is nothing more than a LIMP MODE mechanical override.

The current system is a fly by wire system.

Something that has not been discussed enough is the comparison of brake horse power compared to engine horse power. Think about it. It takes close to a 1/4 mile or more for the average car to accelerate to 60 mph. It takes far less to stop that car from 60 mph when applying the brakes. Another consideration is the stall test. Stand on the brakes and apply full throttle. In each case the brakes will win. Toyota's suggestion to Stand on the brakes should stop the car and avert disaster allowing one time to have the problem corrected.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
If I heard right that ,1998 system, was Throttle Cable Controlled with the ECU reading and interpreting the cable position and in turn setting the throttle plate. It make no mention of controlling the fuel injection timing ot duration, the second have of power application.

At the end of the video he mentions a FAIL SAFE override that I believe is nothing more than a LIMP MODE mechanical override.

The current system is a fly by wire system.

Something that has not been discussed enough is the comparison of brake horse power compared to engine horse power. Think about it. It takes close to a 1/4 mile or more for the average car to accelerate to 60 mph. It takes far less to stop that car from 60 mph when applying the brakes. Another consideration is the stall test. Stand on the brakes and apply full throttle. In each case the brakes will win. Toyota's suggestion to Stand on the brakes should stop the car and avert disaster allowing one time to have the problem corrected.
More detailed info........

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/4run...-fe_etcs-i.pdf
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
WOW, how comforting...they use a DC motor to control the throttle, and we all know how reliable they are, long term.

I for one would be much happier with a cable attached to a throttle pedal/lever.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
WOW, how comforting...they use a DC motor to control the throttle, and we all know how reliable they are, long term.

I for one would be much happier with a cable attached to a throttle pedal/lever.
That is the Toyota Drive By Wire system. Toyota has several different options on them. This particular one has the traction control. When the ECM seen that the gearbox speed sensor acceleration/speed does not conform to to wheel speed sensor(s) output, it can reduced the throttle valve opening through the throttle servo motor. Toyota does not have a brake software to override the throttle in the event the servo motor sticks, if condensation builts up in the dual sensors of the gas pedal (which would produce the wrong return voltage), or EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) prevention (the ignition coils, injectors and other electronic/electrical units produce EMI).
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #111
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Hans, the Toe Vehicle has a drive by wire system. Actually it is a drive by cable system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0802.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	95141  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #112
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

with drive by WIRE systems, depressing the brake pedal should CUT the accelerator input...correct???

in daze of old one could HOLD down the brake pedal and REV the engine on automatics...

on my drive by wire car (with an AT) that's not possible, the accelerator input cuts out while the brake is held down...

IF the toyota system doesn't operate that way, the issue would seem to go beyond sticky mechanical parts.

cheers
2air'
whendesigninganewsystemyougettochoosewhethertomimi c theexistingphysicalsystemorderiveanewperformancepa radigm itwouldseeminthiscasethatTdecidedtomimictheexistin gphysicalsystem
thereissomesenseinthisbecausethefailuremodesaremos tlyfamiliar
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #113
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
whendesigninganewsystemyougettochoosewhethertomimi c theexistingphysicalsystemorderiveanewperformancepa radigm itwouldseeminthiscasethatTdecidedtomimictheexistin gphysicalsystem
thereissomesenseinthisbecausethefailuremodesaremos tlyfamiliar
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I get no matches for this when I use the search function.... Should it be capitalized?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, Howie. What you say makes since, but in my real life experience, while the vehicle is in motion it's a whole different story. Drive to about 30 miles per hour or faster, floor the gas/throttle pedal with your right foot, and press the brake pedal with your left foot and see who wins. I have driven cars with the cruise control engaged and a bad stop light switch; There is no way I could even slow the car down, yet alone stop it. [I turned off the ignition switch and used both feet on the brake pedal] I used to power brake my hot rods, let off of the brakes for a second to do an in-place burn out, and once the rear wheel started to spin, there was no stopping it. [note this was drum brakes on my car]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #115
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I get no matches for this when I use the search function.... Should it be capitalized?
Sorry, bad googletrans into 2airspeak.

The point was that when converting a mechanical system to a digital one, you have the choice of whether or not to mimic the mechanical system.
In most cases, this is what you want, as it is what people are used to and the failure modes are mostly pretty well understood.

However, the introduction of new technologies - and electronic throttle pedals aren't all that new: semi trucks started using them many years before passenger cars - also allow you to do some new safety and performance things and (this is IMPORTANT) introduce some new failure modes.

In this case, it's starting to appear that the Denso part (autoblog article) is being recalled in Europe, and there may be some related software issues. I really doubt we'll ever find out the full extent of what has happened, which is really too bad. From a lessons learned, technical viewpoint, it would be invaluable.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #116
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Howie. What you say makes since, but in my real life experience, while the vehicle is in motion it's a whole different story. Drive to about 30 miles per hour or faster, floor the gas/throttle pedal with your right foot, and press the brake pedal with your left foot and see who wins. I have driven cars with the cruise control engaged and a bad stop light switch; There is no way I could even slow the car down, yet alone stop it. [I turned off the ignition switch and used both feet on the brake pedal] I used to power brake my hot rods, let off of the brakes for a second to do an in-place burn out, and once the rear wheel started to spin, there was no stopping it. [note this was drum brakes on my car]
I think you could also express it with the formula Energy = mass * (velocity squared).

That is, there is far more energy in the system at 50mph than there is at zero. At 100 mph and full throttle you're asking the brakes to turn a fantastic number of joules to heat.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
So you're telling us Albert drove a rod?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
You are correct. My mistake in comparing the effective power comparison between the breaks and the engine was assuming the accelerator pedal had returned to the idle position.
Not the case with a stuck pedal.

So far tonight CNBC and PBS Night Business News have had comments on Toyota's suggested repair. CNBC discribes it as an addition of a "Shim" behind the return spring. The NBN describes it as a "Bar" installed in the pedal. However in an interview on the NBN with the north American CEO of Toyota he was question that many think the problem resides in the software of the electronically control system.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Woz thinks it's a software problem.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #120
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe View Post
The Dept of Transportation is looking at that too. Story here (autoguide).

I had one Toyota and found that an unpleasant experience, but I get no joy out of this. Nickel says they're reflashing modules during the recall.

[Edit: add this article from The Pittsburgh Channel daht comm.
(Transportation Secretary) LaHood said there appeared to be a disconnect between Toyota's North American offices and the company's headquarters in Japan. Toyota officials in North America took the problem seriously, but the Japan operation needed to be prodded, he said. LaHood said it took a trip by a top transportation official to Japan "to wake them up to the idea that this is a serious issue."
/ edit ]