Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The real cause . . .

The floor mat explanation for the Toyota SADS (Sudden Accelerated Death Syndrome) is soooo last century and soooo mechanical it lacks crediblity. I don't buy it. Tell me, what do cold and calculating engineers know about their vehicle's wants and desires? Nothing! So, I offer two alternative theories of why Toyotas suddenly accelerate on their own:

1. Tow Mode Attention Deficet Disorder (TMADD). The problem is not in the fly-by-night wire fuel control system. Instead, it is in the MVECM (Motor Vehicle Emotional Control Module). Its a well known fact that motor vehicles are happiest when towing Airstream travel trailers. That task produces the highest level of vehicular phremones and leads to a singular state of towvana. The MVECM knows and remembers this, so it constantly seeks to reproduce the state of towvana. It occasionally gets so focused on attaining towvana that it forgets its primary duty to keep all other electrical modules in emotional balance and at keen electrical alert status.

The sudden gush-rush of positive electrons from the MVECM when it reaches towvana causes the other electronic modules to get very excited and overreact to inputs. It especially effects the speed control fly-by-night wire module, which fondly remembers the hard but honest work of towing an Airstream up a long hard grade. So, it over-revs the engine to duplicate that state. If Toyotas didn't enjoy towing Airstreams so much, SADS would not be a problem. Unfortunately, TMADD is an electro-genetic family wide-disorder that appears in MVECMs on Toyotas that have not even towed an Airstream! This, I believe, it the true cause of Toyota's problems.

2. Disgustingly Low Quality Electo-Viral Infection (DLQEVI). This second theory is much weaker but nevertheless is offered here for the benefit of Crawford Gene, who must still be in a state of utter shock by the company's recall of the world's most reliable vehicles. This theory posits the real cause of SADS is a electro-viral infection of Toyotas from towing very low quality recreational vehicles. Under this theory, the well-known inferior quality of RV electrical components and control modules infect and overtake the vastly superior electrical components of Toyotas. Infection occurs via the tow vehicle-to-trailer electrical cable, through which the electro-virus travels to infect the Toyota. The sheer pureness of Toyota's electrical component superiority is so great that these components cannot even comprehend the low quality level of RV components. This incomprehension makes them unprepared for and simply defenseless against the extremely low grade electrons emitted from RVs that Toyotas ECM and other modules occasionally malfunction by simply going crazy with overwhelming disgust. But that's only the internally transmitted electro-virus.

The other half of this electro-viral disease occurs when the extremely low quality RV fit and finish viruses slime their way from trailer to tow vehicle along the exterior of the tow vehicle electrical cable. Even strong bleach cannot kill them! Once on the Toyota, they attack all vehicular attributes and, over time, degrade the once-legendary Toyota quality down to the disgusting level of RVs. This has only become noticeable over the past few years as the number of Toyota recalls and fit and finish issues increase.

Toyota personnel are working furiously on a wireless control system for RV brakes and lights, which they hope will eliminate the slimeway. But they are worried the toxic RV low quality viruses will soon become virtual and could soon transmit themselves though thin air. Oh, the Horror!

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #72
_

. , .
urine drug testing is now a requirement for posting to this thread...

but before it starts,

cross pollinate some of whatever 'wind is drinking or smoking into my cup...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #73
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
....cross pollinate...cheers
2air'
I've had just about enough of this sexual harrassment.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #74
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I just got off the phone with my Service Director buddy that runs the Toyota dealer next door. He says this has been a nightmare! All of his employees have been instructed on what to say.. and thats not much.
He verified that all the pedal assy's produced in the US are suspect. He moved all the affected new cars to the back lot. Toyota will not have stock on this item until mid Feb and in no way will be able to handle the volume thats headed thier way.
People are dropping their cars off in the lot and demanding a loaner vehicle of a different make from Enterprise rental and the phones have not stopped ringing..

I feel bad for him. This type of event could happen to any of us in the auto industry.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #75
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
It's a big SCAM !!
they got money problems like everyone else so they bug a few cars, cause a scare like the hini flu thing. then shut down production with no buyout from feds.They save a few bucks but don't go belly up, probably aren't using gold in the air bag systems either.

then there's the darwin thing.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #76
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5T5 View Post
Here in Canada we just turn off the ignition.
Kim
Dunno aboot that: most modern cars lose braking and the steering can lock when you do that.

Try it at REAL low speed first, eh?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #77
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
so here's a question to ponder...

IF you own 1 of the included vehicles and show up tomorrow at an authorized dealer/service center for warranty work (or maintenance)...

??will they let U take the car home??
Au contraire, I would imagine that the REAL question is going 2 B HOW do you get even close to the Toy-O-Ta dealer's lot when there is a lineup of Corollas and Camrys that winds around the black and goes ten milez doon th' road!?

Aye, laddie, poot that in yer exhaust and smoke it!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Dunno aboot that: most modern cars lose braking and the steering can lock when you do that.

Try it at REAL low speed first, eh?
Hi, if your vehicle has a hydro-boost system you are in real trouble. But most cars have vacuum brake boosters and should be good for one to three pumps after shutting off the engine. As for the steering wheel locking, you will need to put the transmission into park first.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #79
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
In most cases the key needs to be removed before the column will lock..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Who wants to make a quick million bucks? Seems like all the motorized equipment used on construction sites have a engine "kill" switch real handy to the driver. Somebody come up with one that will kill the engine but not lock the steering and keep the brakes working, I'd get one of those on whatever I be driving.
I'm so behind the times, you mean there are cars without "off" switches out there on the roads with me? It's real easy to lock up the steering if you turn the key off in panic. Gotta practice that one. Probably should practice stopping with out the engine running too.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm making kits to remove the fly-by-wire throttle and replacing them with throttle cables. Kits available for any Toyota. Not really, but a thought.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
One website I was on tonight says that it is corrosion in a unit that returns the excel pedal from a depressed position. Can't remember the website although I got there through Drudge.

Apparently people are experiencing some problems as the corrosion increases so maybe an owner has a chance to judge whether their car's pedal is sticking or showing some sign of unusual movement. There are people that are going to be driving these vehicles for quite some time.

I would expect this to cost the Chairman his job. He is the author of the 30% cost reduction program of the recent few years which has tarnished Toyota's reputation.

This may not be his fault but, his departure would send a message to the organization.

Honda or Nissan may be the real recipient of Toyota's bad luck.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #83
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
FWIW... the steering will not lock until the key is removed, you do not lose steering or braking when ignition is turned off, power assist only. More important, vehicles equipped with the retro "starter" button, it must be held for 3 seconds to shut engine down, not so good.

I think a lot of folks are having a problem relating to the 'GAS PEDAL" as being the problem, it might be better to think of it as using your foot to work your "mouse", not so good.

Nice though not having to watch all those "my trucks smarter than your truck", or "toyota....moving ahead", real fast, ads.

The chairmans departure may be self inflicted...
Attached Images

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I'll go out on a limb and say:

In the end.....

the current issue will be fixed,

Toyota will still be in business,

their commitment to quality will be even stronger,

overall the vehicles will continue to be top quality,

and there will be one heck of a buyers market (deals) for Toyota products in the very near future.