Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #393
Rivet Master
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Denis4x4 - thanks for saying the words that I couldn't come up with - I'm not in CR's demographic.

I totally agree.. I know Toyota was able to duplicate the CR findings, but I still think if you have basic knowledge about a 4x4 and it's handling characteristics you will avoid 90% of the problems CR is looking for..

GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon

Hi, as the saying goes: "When it rains, it pours" [That's Toyota right now]

Since some-one brought up Consumer Reports; If they would change their format, and get rid of those stupid circles, half circles, and dots Etc. maybe I would read it again. Figuering out these icons is like doing your taxes.

Please don't thrash me 2air!!!!!!!! They made me do it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #395
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
CR has done the same with the Izusu Trooper in the '90's and that little Suzuki in the '80's (can't remember the name of it). They drive around cones in a big lot and if they get tippy, they rate them not recommended. At that time, both manufacturers sued them claiming the tests where dependent on how the driver drove—how close to the cone and perhaps how fast. The point was that each time the driver did the test a little differently and the results were not comparable. I saw the tapes of the Trooper test and it did appear they came closer to the cones (sharper turns) with some vehicles than they did with others. Thus it can be argued the tests were subjective.

I agree with 2air that CR is as good place to look at tests for appliances, but even those can be wrong. Many years ago I bought a cordless phone based on their ratings and it was a piece of crap. I think CR ratings on cars and trucks can be useful information, but the CR bias has to be taken into account, other ratings are available, and in the end, you have to make the decision.

I just looked at CR's latest auto issue and as usual they made the 4Runner sound like an awful, uncomfortable, rough riding Neanderthal vehicle. We have had 2 4Runners and they don't feel at all like CR says and they ride and handle quite well. The handling on them and the Tundra has improved substantially over the years. The 4Runners are also awesome offroad.

I think the perfect CR vehicle would run on an oxygen/nitrogen mix (air), be the size of a breadbox outside and the Taj Mahal inside, and all the seats would be plush sofas surrounded by scores of airbags and have all sorts of safety electronics—I'd like one of those myself but with 4WD and excellent tow ratings.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #396
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Last week we had the modified OEM CTS pedal replaced with another pedal. You have to ask for this as Toyota doesn't automatically do this. The pedal works better. You are not so likely to push it harder and harder because of the increased resistance from the fix and then jump off the line. I didn't find the modified pedal so much of a problem, but my wife really didn't like it and now she's happy.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #397
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Thanks for the info. I have noticed myself lighting up the tires once and a while since the "fix" was applied. I think I will get a new pedal next week...

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #398
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good idea Richard. It might even be more of a problem when towing. My experience is that I have to get used to different pedal pressures between towing and not towing and usually "light… up the tires" each way. The fixed pedal made that more possible.

The dealer near me had to order the new pedal. It apparently is not a CTS pedal and was made in Japan.

I read of another possible recall for a different brand over the same issues with a CTS pedal last week. Can't remember the brand.