Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #281
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
This one does smell a little odd.

It is not clear to me that in a Prius, if there is a software issue, waving the shift lever around would do anything more than give your arm a workout.

Depending on the nature of the failure - provided there is one - in the ECM, other things controlled by it may not respond like they do when there is no failure.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
This is such a joke...story sounds too much like the unfounded, unproven Audi rants of 25yrs ago...

WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #283
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
An article on shifting a Prius into "N" - the technique is not standard.

"pr inside" article.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #284
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
The SCAM continues

I was listening to the Tom Sullivan show today, a nationally aired show on the radio today. Appears that the latest so cal nimrod is 8 months in the rear on his toyota payment, he and wife filed bank rupt recently.
I don't want to say I TOLD YOU SO, but I did in a post last week.
The real news is that one of those things can go 90 mph.
oh here's another tidbit. a friend of mine ( long time fireman) indicated to me that rescue personel are hesitant to use jaws of life, canopener, and sheetmetal saws for rescues.They are fearful of cutting into live high voltage and welding themselves to the already junk car. So there is continuing training going on with these brave folks.
I'm so terrified of driving now-- everytime I see a Toyota in the rearview I sideswipe the vehicle next to me hoping for a pot of gold.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #285
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
An article on shifting a Prius into "N" - the technique is not standard.

"pr inside" article.
You may have seen a post a wrote a while back of the week I spent in a rental Prius on a business trip.
This is exactly the reason I did NOT like this car; it is VERY unconventional.
Now I was only in it for one week, but I never did get used to it. Did not like it, and have requested that I not get one again when travelling on business.
Now I am a very conventional, conservative, pick up truck kind of Guy, so this type of vehicle does not appeal to me in any way...but it is atypical compared to other vehicles out there...in a life/death moment...you may not want to fiddle with this type of shift...
Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #286
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
You may have seen a post a wrote a while back of the week I spent in a rental Prius on a business trip.
This is exactly the reason I did NOT like this car; it is VERY unconventional.
Now I was only in it for one week, but I never did get used to it. Did not like it, and have requested that I not get one again when travelling on business.
Now I am a very conventional, conservative, pick up truck kind of Guy, so this type of vehicle does not appeal to me in any way...but it is atypical compared to other vehicles out there...in a life/death moment...you may not want to fiddle with this type of shift...
BillTex

So what is your motivation here other then bashing the big bad job stealing Toyota Co. ?

Because you felt uncomfortable in a base model rental Prius and it IS unconventional, you feel the need to add to the media 24/7 fear feast by starting this thread. NewsFlash bill, this is all we ever here about everywhere else. Why beat this to death here also? Got an axe too grind?

If you managed to read the whole article the author asks the media to get the word out about the three different ways this car can be stopped (IF) this problem really exists. But that does not get same attention as helicopter footage of CHP cruisers and those unconventional cars. I thought for a minute O J Simpson could have been driving.

So you know what scares me?

Soccer moms and weekend warriors driving GMs/Fords/ Dodges latest oversized fuel guzzling pollution pig 4x4 pick up or SUV coming up in the rear view mirror. This is certainly helping this country break our reliance on that Middle East cash crop.

Put it in NEUTRAL!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #287
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
How dare you speak ill of my gas guzzeling pig Burb....

March 14, 2007

PRIUS OUTDOES HUMMER IN ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
The Toyota Prius, the flagship car for the environmentally conscious, is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America, and takes more combined energy to produce than a Hummer, says the Recorder.

Consider:

The nickel contained in the Prius' battery is mined and smelted at a plant in Ontario that has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers.
Dubbed the Superstack, the factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist's nightmare.
Acid rain around the area was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside, according to Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin.
After leaving the plant, the nickel travels to Europe, China, Japan and United States, a hardly environmentally sound round the world trip for a single battery.
But that isn't even the worst part, says the Record. According to a study by CNW Marketing, the total combined energy to produce a Prius (consisting of electrical, fuel, transportation, materials and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime), is greater than what it takes to produce a Hummer:

The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles -- the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles.
That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use almost 50 percent less combined energy doing it.
Source: Chris Demorro, "Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage," The Recorder, March 7, 2007

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #288
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

March 14, 2007

The Toyota Prius, the flagship car for the environmentally conscious, is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America, and takes more combined energy to produce than a Hummer, says the Recorder.

Consider:

The nickel contained in the Prius' battery is mined and smelted at a plant in Ontario that has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers.
Dubbed the Superstack, the factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist's nightmare.
Acid rain around the area was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside, according to Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin.
After leaving the plant, the nickel travels to Europe, China, Japan and United States, a hardly environmentally sound round the world trip for a single battery.
But that isn't even the worst part, says the Record. According to a study by CNW Marketing, the total combined energy to produce a Prius (consisting of electrical, fuel, transportation, materials and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime), is greater than what it takes to produce a Hummer:

The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles -- the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles.
That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use almost 50 percent less combined energy doing it.
Source: Chris Demorro, "Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage," The Recorder, March 7, 2007
Yeah, right.......same old Prius hater twisted statistics.

Subtract what every other vehicle materials cost and transportation cost to compare and add that to the fussy math.

Still buying a fraction of the fuel soccer mom is using in the Expedition.
Go ahead and dig out all the anti hybrid propaganda you want.

Hummer.....300,000 miles on the road. That's funny. Not. Do they still make those?

But I did talk to a woman recently with 300k on her Prius.

Wait, those numbers are reversed! What does this mean?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #289
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Billtex,

I am not quite sure what you are saying or where you are going with your comment that you found the Prius so unconventional as to not like it. Is it the only car you don't like or is it among several models that you don't care for? I found no connection with your comment to most of the rest of this thread. If you don't like drive by wire soon you will have no choices among new cars. Virtually all cars are going to it. I have never owned a Toyota of any kind. I always liked the old style "jeep" Landcruisers and if still made and sold here would own one. If I needed a small pickup truck I would certainly look at the Tacoma. I drove a Prius once, found it to be fascinating in its operation, futuristic, unconventional, technologically advanced (with American technololgy that the Japanese implemented into their cars) and probably a glimpse into the future of economy cars.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #290
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:

March 14, 2007

Consider:

For the other side of this article, please read this:
wall of cheese: The Myth that the Prius Outdoes Hummer In Environmental Damage

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #291
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Yeah, right.......same old Prius hater twisted statistics.

But I did talk to a woman recently with 300k on her Prius.

Wait, those numbers are reversed! What does this mean?

It means nothing... previous post just used as a counterpoint.

Anyone can find anything to support any belief.

Please realize I have as much right to HATE as you do..... but I don't.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #292
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
Billtex,

I am not quite sure what you are saying or where you are going with your comment that you found the Prius so unconventional as to not like it. Is it the only car you don't like or is it among several models that you I drove a Prius once, found it to be fascinating in its operation, futuristic, unconventional, technologically advanced (with American technololgy that the Japanese implemented into their cars) and probably a glimpse into the future of economy cars.
Yeah, that was exactly what I did not like...too much star wars stuff for me. The dash, the shift...I found it very uncomfortable and the layout unconventional (i.e. "unlike most cars"). (I'll take a nice pick me up truck any day,my daily driver is a Mt Bike, the truck is for tow duty...).The unconventional shift pattern may have contributed to the latest publicized runaway Toyota incident. Don’t know if you have ever had the pleasure to drive one of these, it does take some getting used to…not the kind of thing I feel like tinkering with at 94mph. Clearly the driver in this incident felt the same.
Read that article, or go look at a prius, it is not the typical PRNDL shift pattern.

Not sure the rental model prius I drove shifts any differently than the “luxo” prius…
Old 03-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #293
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
It means nothing... previous post just used as a counterpoint.

Anyone can find anything to support any belief.

Please realize I have as much right to HATE as you do..... but I don't.
you know what I hate? Seeing this same sham article barfed up every time
someone comments on hummer vs prius rant.

so why keep contributing this landfill waste? (Demarro article)

Sounds like hatin' to me.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #294
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
unfortunately you will bang your head trying to have a conversation with a green person,they will not listen to the opposing view. typical. don't waste your time. these are the folks that are convinced that you can pick up a turd by the clean end.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote