Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #267
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Toyota Owner Here, Actually 2

I have a Vibe. It is the Corolla Matrix Govinmint Motors version. Also a Corolla. They both have had the surge. When it occured, I moved my foot to the left off the gas pedal and continued pressing down on the brake. The brake pedal is out further than the gas pedal and if the feet are not aligned to miss the gas pedal, as one pushes down on the brake the gas pedal is applied at the same time.
No lawyer, no accident, no panic.
OMG I should have called 911 on my cell, call my publicist, hairstylist, lawyer, while shrieking, " I am going to die!!!!" I smell a book deal and a movie.
The lawyers will drive Toyota out of the country.
USA will soon look like Detroit and Chicago and the politician/lawyers will blame everyone else. But the problem is us.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #268
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
MSNBC interviewed the Ca. driver today. He was on the 911 call for 20 minutes. He said he was pulling the accelerator pedal up from the floor. Then again this problem has nothing to do with the accelerator pedal.

He said he has called Toyota and they have not returned his call. MSNBC said they will have him on every am till Toyota contacts him. I am betting today.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #269

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
In that CHP situation the other day, I heard the driver say when he was interviewed that he repeatedly pushed the engine off button to no avail. If he had the presence of mind to do that, you would think that he would have attempted to put the transmission in neutral. I would also have thought that the Trooper would have instructed the driver to try taking the transmission out of gear during his loud speaker instructions.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #270
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
That I am not a fan of toyota would be an understatment, however..........this last case of a runaway car made me laugh out loud! The bozo was on the phone for 20 minutes,and he said when he got stopped the brakes were metal to metal. What a bunch of bull! I smell an attempted lawsuit. The media are worse than the lawyers and thats going some. Adios, John
Old 03-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Cal. Prius driver said he did not want to sue Toyota. Maybe he did not know to push the start/stop button for 3 seconds. He described the highway as having many curves and having to weave between cars. I guess he's a pretty good driver to do that at 90+ mph.

The 911 operator told the driver to put the transmission in N, but he said he was too busy trying to drive. Maybe not a great decision, but under the circumstances, understandable.

Gene
Old 03-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #272
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Diesel1, that's what I thought about that story. I'm thinking a few will try to fake an "event" for a bigger piece of the settlement pie. I was wrong earlier when I said this probably won't be the most expensive software bug. This is going to raise the bar real high. Someone on the news threw-out a $5B estimate for yota over the years to come.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #273
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The Cal. Prius driver said he did not want to sue Toyota.
Wonder how many ambulance chasers have tried to call him today to get him to change his mind?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Exclamation spontanious flipping Toyotas

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In that CHP situation the other day, I heard the driver say when he was interviewed that he repeatedly pushed the engine off button to no avail. If he had the presence of mind to do that, you would think that he would have attempted to put the transmission in neutral. I would also have thought that the Trooper would have instructed the driver to try taking the transmission out of gear during his loud speaker instructions.

Brian
Driver said he was afraid the car would flip over if he put it in neutralReally, I heard him say it on tv.

So I guess we now know the next Toyota problem after this one. I can just see all the spontaniously flipping cars littering the highway after attempting to put the transmission in neutral.

Had he only tried prayer during those twenty minutes on the phone.

Let's hope the media feeding frenzy looks into this one a bit deeper.

(While hard accelerating in a Prius last week I moved the gear shift to neutral. Very easy to do.)
Old 03-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #275
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Just sit in your car in the drive while the engine is running foot on the brake and try to shift from forward to reverse. You will notice you have to do something other than just move the shifter to go from Neutral to Reverse. That detente, offset in a floor shift, or button on the shifter is there for a reason. To prevent shifting into reverse while going forward.

Like several have said. This one is taking on an odor. The seven year old boy that called 911 the same day and saved his family deserves more media time than this guy.

Next will come the TV adds from Lawyers like those for asbestos. If you ever road in a Toyota call you may be entitled to MONEY.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #276
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I didn't believe him after he said he got up to 94 mph. I got stuck behind one pulling the silverbullet through a range of hills for over 10 miles without a passing lane. I had to push him up every hill just to get him up to 55.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #277
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
This case of the runaway care doesn't smell, it stinks. He can drive for twenty minutes at 90 mph weaving in and out of cars, etc. He can talk at the same time on the cell phone and give progress report updates to what is happening but he can't activate the emergency brake, hold the power button down five seconds, or spend a quality half second putting the trans into neutral. Publicity stunt or a real emergency? The last thing I would do is call on the phone. I would drive the car first. Had he done the 'right' thing first the car would have probably not traveled even one mile. I don't blame the car, I blame the driver.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, "What I have to say may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth."

This is a compound problem:

(1.) Toyota really and truly has a run away problem and it needs to be fixed or these vehicles need to be grounded. [like an unsafe airplane] Before more people are killed.

(2.) People are stupid; "I can't stop this car" "It won't slow down" "It might roll if I move the shift lever" I know how to start this car, but I don't know how to turn it off, but I can make phone calls for help at 100 MPH.

In the old days you learned how to control your vehicle because they broke down, overheated, and got many flat tires or blow outs. Most cars had manual everything: Trans, windows, door locks, steering, brakes, heaters, and even antennas. Todays cars are more dependable and do everything for you; [like your mom did] And todays drivers [not all] can't do anything that doesn't operate with a digitally controlled button. Some people now days know absolutely nothing about the workings of the machine they drive every day. Turn the key to make it go, and add some expensive liquid to it periodically to keep it moving.

OK Rant over, but that is my opinion.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #279
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Well it has started in the Phoenix area at least......saw an ad last night for a lawyer that wants to help protect your rights if your car accelerates out of control. He will help remove all your personal responsibility and at the same time pay for his new swimning pool. What a great country! Adios, John
Although on second thought this is a great way to recoup some of the money we have been shoveling oversea's.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This should be a lot safer now. Government is taking this seriously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0022.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	97929